Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking around at various threads and I can't seem to find a straight answer in any of them so I'll go ahead and ask here. is my 2013 versys prewired for a 12 outlet? my plan is to flush mount a 12 outlet in the convenient flat plastic panel on either side of the gauge cluster, also planning on relocating the switch for my heated grips to the same panel. the dumbass who installed the heated grips before I bought the bike mounted the switch for the grips down on some of the body work, barely accessible when I'm riding. anyhow, any information is appreciated. I couldn't find an answer in the manual nor could I find an answer in some of the threads pertaining to 12v outlets.

·
Registered
612 Posts
behind the left body panel there are two bullet connectors (2 live and 2 ground) switched accessory leads but they are only on a 5 amp fuse so good for a GPS, etc. You can see them if you look up behind the panel from underneath on the left side hanging down by the radiator.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
behind the left body panel there are two bullet connectors (2 live and 2 ground) switched accessory leads but they are only on a 5 amp fuse so good for a GPS, etc. You can see them if you look up behind the panel from underneath on the left side hanging down by the radiator.
thanks for the info, my guess is that one set is already being taken up by the heated grips, it would also probably explain why the switch for the grips is mounted where it is, low and on the left side. a 5a fuse should be fine, all it's going to be powering is either a GPS or a charger for my phone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it is pre wired --but you have to put a relay in the circuit to finalize the use your looking for. look up the kawasaki kit and it will show the relay number. the relay is one that is used on many models for other purposes. got one off ebay(ie salvage) for $5 instead of buying the whole kit

·
Registered
612 Posts
it is pre wired --but you have to put a relay in the circuit to finalize the use your looking for. look up the kawasaki kit and it will show the relay number. the relay is one that is used on many models for other purposes. got one off ebay(ie salvage) for $5 instead of buying the whole kit
those two accessory leads are already on a relay. I checked and saw the relay in the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's pretty easy to wire in a 12V outlet. There are threads here...somewhere...that have how-to's. I didn't wire in a relay to mine. I think I pretty much just spliced on some blade connectors to the outlet and connected it to a little receptacle thing under/below the left fairing that has switched power so that the outlet is only on when the key is on.

How's that for some good non-specific language and a run-on sentence...(I'm a speech and language pathologist, I ought to know better...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for all the info guys, as for a 12v outlet that's going to be flush mounted what would would you guys recommend? and am I understanding this right, there's 2 outlets? one is probably already taken up by the heated grips and the other should be free?

·
Registered
383 Posts
To the FrozenHawaiian, Search for user capn Kirk, and 12v outlet. He has a good post with parts and pictures for putting one on the left side connector.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Here's a link to the write up I did when I did my outlet.

Notice it's NO MOD! I didn't want to chop up a new bike so found the parts, listed them with part numbers, to make it a bolt up, plug in at less than half the cost of a straight up Kawasaki set up. Ans my bike STILL hasn't burned up! :D

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20404

·
Registered
456 Posts
After you install the relay and power outlet you'll notice that there are 2 leftover connectors, those are for the OEM heated grip kit: 99994-0193

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
been looking around at various threads and I can't seem to find a straight answer in any of them so I'll go ahead and ask here. is my 2013 versys prewired for a 12 outlet? my plan is to flush mount a 12 outlet in the convenient flat plastic panel on either side of the gauge cluster, also planning on relocating the switch for my heated grips to the same panel. the dumbass who installed the heated grips before I bought the bike mounted the switch for the grips down on some of the body work, barely accessible when I'm riding. anyhow, any information is appreciated. I couldn't find an answer in the manual nor could I find an answer in some of the threads pertaining to 12v outlets.
I wired in a flush mounted 12v dash socket for a ~$10 cost to provide a power source for my GPS and phone.
12v Dash Socket
12v Inline Blade Fuse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts