Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, after a stint on a Z400 as a young bloke I'm now an elderly bloke on a 2015 Versys 650 and very much enjoying the occasional ride with my young bloke on his Ninja. Not riding too often at night however, I only recently noticed the low beam headlight not working. After replacing the bulb and it still not working I took (and still do) to one or two quick bashes to the headlight cover, and this brought it on! Occasionally though a bump in a ride will take it out. I've removed panels for a close look but can't see anything resembling a loose connection. Has anyone found the same?

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
785 Posts
Welcome !

Good luck with your troubles. I have a 300, so no direct experience with the 650 ... but almost every "electrical related" thread i've seen on them says to check the frame grounds. Do a search for "frame ground" and look for advice from @onewizard ... who seems to have earned that name when it comes to all things electrical. I know grounding issues have been the source of many of my electrical woes no matter what vehicle/toy/trailer I'm working on.

Reactions: GeoGator

·
Registered
589 Posts
Almost certainly a poor connection issue - usually a corroded or loose connector.
A wiring diagram will help otherwise remove the Tupperware and check every connector behind the front faring. Even wiggling the wiring with the headlight on sometimes finds the source of your problem.

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Welcome !

Good luck with your troubles. I have a 300, so no direct experience with the 650 ... but almost every "electrical related" thread i've seen on them says to check the frame grounds. Do a search for "frame ground" and look for advice from @onewizard ... who seems to have earned that name when it comes to all things electrical. I know grounding issues have been the source of many of my electrical woes no matter what vehicle/toy/trailer I'm working on.
wondered why I got a notification:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::geek:

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Hi there, after a stint on a Z400 as a young bloke I'm now an elderly bloke on a 2015 Versys 650 and very much enjoying the occasional ride with my young bloke on his Ninja. Not riding too often at night however, I only recently noticed the low beam headlight not working. After replacing the bulb and it still not working I took (and still do) to one or two quick bashes to the headlight cover, and this brought it on! Occasionally though a bump in a ride will take it out. I've removed panels for a close look but can't see anything resembling a loose connection. Has anyone found the same?
Several ideas, first there are two frame grounds in the front, one very close to the push pin clutch side, a second near the throttle side, you need to remove and clean with scotch brite then sparingly apply dielectric grease and reattach. next you need to see if it is both low and high beam. Last you should measure idle at 1500 RPM volts DC at the battery and volts DC at 3000 to 3500 RPM with the fan running and low beam light on. Post those I I will respond.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much all for the welcome and the suggestions. Shortly after I sent my post though I gave the connector contacts a spray with some old electrical contact cleaner and crimped them a little with a fine screwdriver for a better grip. So far the light has consistently come on with start up but I'll act on the fuse, grounding and greasing suggestions if it goes down again. Thanks very much again.

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Several ideas, first there are two frame grounds in the front, one very close to the push pin clutch side, a second near the throttle side, you need to remove and clean with scotch brite then sparingly apply dielectric grease and reattach. next you need to see if it is both low and high beam. Last you should measure idle at 1500 RPM volts DC at the battery and volts DC at 3000 to 3500 RPM with the fan running and low beam light on. Post those I I will respond.
Thanks very much for your help on this but I can't quite see the frame grounds near the push pins on the front. The fitting on the clutch-side with the blue, brown and earth wires in my attached photo seems to be insulated from the frame by rubber grommets and the two throttle-side fittings (one pale yellow partly obscured and the other to the left of centre) just seem to be slotted onto the frame without direct contact. Am I in the right area? Thanks again.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
Thanks very much for your help on this but I can't quite see the frame grounds near the push pins on the front. The fitting on the clutch-side with the blue, brown and earth wires in my attached photo seems to be insulated from the frame by rubber grommets and the two throttle-side fittings (one pale yellow partly obscured and the other to the left of centre) just seem to be slotted onto the frame without direct contact. Am I in the right area? Thanks again. View attachment 189525
Look to the upper right side at the hex bolts, as seen looking through the slot of the clutch side windscreen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts