Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been running into an intermittent starting problem on my 2014 V. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or has ran into something similar.

What happens: Go to start bike, turn key on, fuel pump runs, hit the starter, cranks strongly but doesn't start, FI light flashes.
To get it to start I have to turn the key off, turn it back on, try again.
After 3-4 times of turning key on and off and trying to start, it fires right up, no issue, runs fine, FI light stays off.
The problem is intermittent, doesn't happen every time and I haven't been able to nail down a pattern. Doesn't seem to matter if the bike has been sitting for a day or a few minutes while filling up at the gas station, equal opportunity for the problem to arise. So far, the bike has always been able to be started, and runs fine once it does, but I'm worried that there is lurking problem, especially since the V is my daily driver, but unsure of what it could be.

Any ideas or trouble shooting steps would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
For a start , check battery voltage and check for Vacuum leak. Make sure all little hoses are connected properly as hose tend to have cracks after sometime. When was the last service done and when did you last change your spark plugs. Be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a start , check battery voltage and check for Vacuum leak. Make sure all little hoses are connected properly as hose tend to have cracks after sometime. When was the last service done and when did you last change your spark plugs. Be safe.
Thanks for the suggestions. Battery is at 13v, no vacuum leaks, hoses look great. Last changed the spark plugs around 10,000 miles ago and serviced a few other things then. The old plugs that came out were nice and clean, probably didn't even need replaced.

I'm starting to think it may be related to the tip-over switch on it's way out, I'll be digging out my service manual and testing that. Seems more like it might be electrical as when it does start, it's totally fine, not even a hard start, and runs beautifully.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Might it be part #21175-0103 electronic control unit? I had a similar problem on another bike and the culprit was the electronic control unit (ignitor). Eventually, it would not start at all. I swapped the unit with a friend who had the same bike and it started immediately. Problem solved with a new ignitor.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
... The old plugs that came out were nice and clean, probably didn't even need replaced....
The plugs will ALWAYS look as if they're still new, but I STRONGLY suggest you change them when 'in there'.

My car uses similar plugs, and when my wife told me that it would NOT hold speed in CRUISE going uphill, I removed and replaced them (they looked like NEW!!!). Immediately the power was back, CRUISE works again!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
3 main things to a running engine, FUEL, CRANK, SPARK. Did you drop or crash your bike recently? No, than it’s not knock down sensor. Have to store your bike for period of time? Yes - stop using ethanol fuel. No - check you got fuel in it. Bike cranks? Yes - weak or fast click noise, charge the battery than try, successful replace battery. No - check battery no crank at all BIG PROBLEMS AHEAD. Crank but does not turn over? Original spark plug? check all spark relayed connections you will find the problem. If you did a spark test has spark has crank must be a fuel quality or feeding issue.

·
Premium Member
9,455 Posts
Alright, I've been running into an intermittent starting problem on my 2014 V. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or has ran into something similar.

What happens: Go to start bike, turn key on, fuel pump runs, hit the starter, cranks strongly but doesn't start, FI light flashes.
To get it to start I have to turn the key off, turn it back on, try again.
After 3-4 times of turning key on and off and trying to start, it fires right up, no issue, runs fine, FI light stays off.
The problem is intermittent, doesn't happen every time and I haven't been able to nail down a pattern. Doesn't seem to matter if the bike has been sitting for a day or a few minutes while filling up at the gas station, equal opportunity for the problem to arise. So far, the bike has always been able to be started, and runs fine once it does, but I'm worried that there is lurking problem, especially since the V is my daily driver, but unsure of what it could be.

Any ideas or trouble shooting steps would be appreciated!
First the vehicle down sensor inhibits the fuel pump, stick coils, injectors, and no code. A common symptom is starting and running g for 3 seconds then quitting. The MK-1 & 2s had issues with electrical corrosion. The first thing I would check is the crank shaft position sensor connector for corrosion. Any stored codes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since when the trouble starting happens you have a FI light trying to come on that kinda narrows it down the realm of things within the self-diagnostic range of components. My first step would be to check the resistance of injectors to make sure you don't have one drifting out of spec. Second thing I'd check would be the servos/secondary throttle bodies to see if everything is moving free, no carbon fouling, or servos failing etc..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a similar issue on my 2015 Versys 650. This has happened to me only twice, but it is quite confusing because it will not start even though everything else looks good. On both occasions once I turned it off and then turned it back on again it fired up without any problem. I chalked it up to a bad electronics boot up, but to hear that it happened to you 3-4 times in a row now makes me a little nervous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts