Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase insurance for my Versys in Ontario. Like to know who you would recommend and what you are paying. My auto insurer does not insure motorcycles. Just did an online quote on TDInsurance.com quoted me $559 for full coverage. Is this good or bad? (Clean driving record with no tickets or insurance claims)

·
Registered
559 Posts
For Ontario it sounds about right, in Quebec it cost me 250$ for full coverage on my 2011 but my license plate cost me 600$ a year...

Try contacting an insurance broker, they have access to many companies, and some really don't like motorcycles, while other companies welcome them. I remember getting a quote for 2000$ a year on my 2009 Speed triple, and then my broker found a company that would insure me for 300$.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That's about what I'm paying on mine. Might be worth shopping around (RidersPlus, etc), but I wouldn't expect the price to be much below that.

Dave

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lowest I've seen in ON. I'm paying just over $800 full coverage including collision with Jevco. Time for me to shop around again...

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
In 'communist' BC, with gov't insurance (ICBC) I pay about $600 for 6 1/2 months, NO collision!!!

In Alberta I paid about $450 per year, again no collision.

Here in AZ my bill INCLUDING collision is $240 per year, and that's with a "full-meal-deal" of extras.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ok, I'm chiming in

Here, in woderfull quebec, less than $200 (198 if my memory is right) full coverage, full full full

But wait, there's a catch

I get burn by our beloved no fault governement insurance with a license plate of 580 some $ ...

LOP

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Signed with TD Insurance today at $448 a year (full coverage, actual price paid, $500 deductible and $1M liability). Because I am a member of an alumni association Meloche Monex (the underwriter) has a deal with I was eligible for a small group discount and also got $10 a year off for having an alarm installed.

Surprisingly the broker I just purchased car insurance from told me the best they could find was north of $800/year for my Versys. On the other hand TD's car insurance online quote was $230 a year more than what my broker came up with for the car. Guess it pays to shop around and not rely on a single broker/insurance source for everything. Who knew?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I just did TD's online quote, got three rates: $508 for Lowest Cost, $576 for Best Value, and $610 for Best Coverage. All are well below last year's Jevco rate of $878. Time to switch!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In 'communist' BC, with gov't insurance (ICBC) I pay about $600 for 6 1/2 months, NO collision!!!

In Alberta I paid about $450 per year, again no collision.

Here in AZ my bill INCLUDING collision is $240 per year, and that's with a "full-meal-deal" of extras.
I don't know why but cell phone rates and insurance rates don't line up between Canada and the US. The US prices are much more favorable. Even more unfathomable is insurance payouts are much higher in the US than Canada due to the higher settlement costs in the US. This is due to a slightly different civil law system in the US that encourages suing and frequently has massive settlements for claimants.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't know why but cell phone rates and insurance rates don't line up between Canada and the US. The US prices are much more favorable. Even more unfathomable is insurance payouts are much higher in the US than Canada due to the higher settlement costs in the US. This is due to a slightly different civil law system in the US that encourages suing and frequently has massive settlements for claimants.
True, but the US has a much larger rider base over which to spread the cost of those claims. There are also times that I think the insurance industry in Canada would like nothing more than to see motorcycles disappear entirely.

Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
My '11 Versys in Ontario with full coverage is ~$440 a year. My '03 Tiger in Ontario was $480 (full coverage) while it was $850 in California. US insurance isn't cheaper to Canada if you compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
revrandy: $440 is almost half what I'm paying for my '09 and I live 30 minutes away from you! Who are you with?

·
Registered
939 Posts
My '11 Versys in Ontario with full coverage is ~$440 a year. My '03 Tiger in Ontario was $480 (full coverage) while it was $850 in California. US insurance isn't cheaper to Canada if you compare apples to apples.
Which company are you with? I'm curious to see what they would quote for me.

Dave C

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the many that are asking, I am insured with TD Meloche Monnex.

For comparison I have $1M liability, $500 deductible on collision/comp, medical/rehab/attendant care.

I have a clean record. Oh yeah, only the bike is insured as I don't own a car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
$430/yr with TD Meloch Monnex (sp?)... with full coverage. My bike is an '09. But I am also located in Norther Ontario which tends to lessen rates. I have a full 'G' and have been riding for 7 years without any type of incident/ticket.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I just did TD's online quote, got three rates: $508 for Lowest Cost, $576 for Best Value, and $610 for Best Coverage. All are well below last year's Jevco rate of $878. Time to switch!
I came up with similar numbers, need to call today and confirm. I have a buddy that is with them, claims insurance runs from February to February, my quote states per year, so need to check it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thx Twowheels

Well thanks to these posts I saved $660 from last year.
I will be leaving riders plus insurance and going to TD within the next few days.
:thumb:

Thx guys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts