Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all and Happy New Year!!! My resolution is to find some riding pants preferably with removable liner and extra support in the rear to stop the seat from "bringing on the pain" on longer rides.

I had narrowed it down to a number of manufacturers:

Sliders Kevlar Waterproof Quest pants 2.0

Fielsheer Mercury 2.0

Seeing that I can't quite find the handle on the sizing of these pants on whether they run too small or are true to size. For instance comfort to me is about a size 48- 50 baggy fit jeans, living in a cold climate I can wear a heavyweight thermal under my pants and still be comfortable. I can't stand tight fitting clothes.

In seeing how the motorcycle apparel missed the mark in these larger size baggy fit motorcycle pants I ran into snowmobile bibs which offer extended sizes(accomodation for beer drinkers) and some have all the pads in the same areas with insulation.

Can anyone give a heads up on the fit of a 4XL Fieldsheer Mercury, snowmobile bibs or make a suggestion for riding pants in the 48 - 50 waist.

My only other option is to purchase military thermals to wear under jeans which should do the trick for riding in the mountains in 40 degree weather. Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I often wear my mesh riding pants under insulated Carhartt bib overalls in the winter.
They work well, keep me warm and easy on and off. Gotta say they probably look a bit silly, but when it's 15* I really don't care.

So I'd say the snowmobile pants would be a good option with a real MC ride pant underneath for protection.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I looked at all the links, thanks alot for the responses, I did find that there are alot of options out there but the sizes still cut off around 44 for Tourmaster, and 46 for most other brands. Heck they should just make the insulated textile chaps to match jackets if they offer leather chaps with thermal lining......... that might work.

I did find the Kathmandu, which seems to be used in the "Long Way back" movie and I must say the price is mind boggling for what they offer. The specs are similar to everything but the reinforcements are less, the liner is there which is a nice feature and the sizing is spot on with 48 - 52 sizes available, which leaves ample room for long underwear.

Even the engineered long underwear is an option in that it is engineered with bicycle compression tights with insulation qualities, but the moisture wicking away stuff with the antimicrobial lining just doesn't work for me as the salt in the sweat is negated to keep microbials off the skin, tried a balaclava which just drew out to much moisture. The lining has a warning " keep away from mucus membranes" and I wonder why they would put this stuff in underwear, go figure.

If any riders care to give their "2 cents" about the kathmandu gear it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In cold weather the big thing is to stop the wind first. If you don't no amount of insulation will keep you warm. You need a wind blocking outer layer with insulation underneath. .
:thumb: I agree and have tried it with Duofold and lined Khakis. I succombed to the chill in about 1.5 hours, stopped to warm up and just cancelled the trip, it was extremely brutal. The Cortech GX 2 Series Sport jacket held up great, with thermals and insulation was the only reason I lasted that long.

Wind protection is key, cotton absorbs whatever environment it is in, holds water in heat from perspiration and if you feel the cotton in the cold, the fabric is cold and transfers that energy down to the skin.

Having never owned a pair of motorcycle pants, some of the pictures make some of the clothing look plastic-like, much different than my Cortech material, all textiles are not created equal!!.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i wear the sliders quest pants.

they do run small, at least one size, maybe a size and a half.

they don't breathe well in the summertime, but they are comfortable and the protection seems to be adequate. they are pretty much waterproof, but i did get some very, very small leaks in the crotch on a long ride in the rain.

the thermal liner makes them very warm and comfortable for winder riding. i've ridden down to about 35 degrees in them, and with a set of thermal long johns i was very comfortable. probably could ride colder if you wanted to.

the only gripe i have about the pants is that one of the buckles that holds the velcro waist strap broke a while ago. i had it fixed and it's good to go. compacc provides awesome service on them.

haven't had a real world protection test yet and i hope not to have to.. but they look like they will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a good eye for the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants and I had inquired with the company regarding the sizing of the pants. Here is what they wrote me:

"Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in our Fieldsheer products. Unfortunately, the Mercury 2.0 pants are running a bit shorter than normal per comments from our other Mercury 2.0 purchasers. Our largest size run for our pants is a 5XL which is a 50” waist and a 34” inseam.

The only alternative suggestion we could give you, is to check out our Podium dealers listed on our Website and try to find an older, discontinued pair of Fieldsheer pants that offer the extended sizes that we use to manufacture.

Good Luck shopping and thanks again for choosing Fieldsheer where we strive to keep you safe and looking good!

Safe and Enjoyable Riding,

XXXXXXXXX

FS Support Team

www.fieldsheer.com"

I really might have spent the $143 on these pants.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
February 6, 2010

Looking for a new helmet, preferably one that is Snell 2010 rated, while there is nothing wrong with the Snell 2000 & 2005 ratings, the 2010 ratings have multiple impact protection, it is just something that you would update.

I am using Microsoft Excell to purge the information and search for helmets of a particular size, the dreaded XXXL. While many companies make the XXXL helmets not many do it an affordable price and the Snell 2010 data sheet is 1/10th the size of the Snell 2005 data sheet.

Funny thing that did come up is a company called KLIM of which from searching the Snell 2005 data I never heard of. The thing I have found with the helmets is that for affordability the Enduro or Dual Sport Helmets do come in XXXL sizes but there is no face protection, as in the ratings of Snell part of the procedure is for the shield to be able to take impact, I am screwed with just wearing goggles, they offer no protection.

Anyway Klim offers a full product line of apparel and they have 6 different type pants all offering varying degrees of protection, insulation and price. Particularly the Dakar pants seemed reasonably priced and offered a suitable mixture of advances in rider comfort. Most important the sizing chart has size ranges for almost every height, weight and waist size for riders from 4'11" - 6'9" but as the economy has proven availability is scarce.

KLIM sizing chart

Anyone member have information of the availabilty of Klim Dakar Pants in the 3XL range, the info would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a good eye for the Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants and I had inquired with the company regarding the sizing of the pants. Here is what they wrote me:

"Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in our Fieldsheer products. Unfortunately, the Mercury 2.0 pants are running a bit shorter than normal per comments from our other Mercury 2.0 purchasers. Our largest size run for our pants is a 5XL which is a 50” waist and a 34” inseam.

The only alternative suggestion we could give you, is to check out our Podium dealers listed on our Website and try to find an older, discontinued pair of Fieldsheer pants that offer the extended sizes that we use to manufacture.

Good Luck shopping and thanks again for choosing Fieldsheer where we strive to keep you safe and looking good!

Safe and Enjoyable Riding,

XXXXXXXXX

FS Support Team

www.fieldsheer.com"

I really might have spent the $143 on these pants.
I'm really glad they sent you this information - I had exactly that experience with the Mercury 2.0 pants.

I like the pants a lot - I think I get high value for the money. But if it's more than 70F outside, your legs are definitely going to sweat.

There are plenty of cold/cool weather options out there, but it's much harder to have adequate protection AND be comfortable in the blistering heat we have down here.

I'm sorta leaning toward Motoport options under some heavy jeans, or maybe the armor from Forcefield. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For my winter commute I with First Gear's THERMO TEXTILE 1-PIECE SUIT. I find the one piece easier to get in and out of at the office. For extended cold weather riding I have heated gloves and jacket liner to go under the suit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well after calling the KLIM people and having them search for some riding pants suitable for my size, the reply was "they only make pants in a size 40", luckily I had some Carhart Medium Insulated Duck Denim Overalls on order.

They have finally arrived and I must say they will work perfectly for the temps I will be approaching in June high up in the mountains. So comfortable that I am going to order another pair just for the winter, they block the air really well and as they tell you to buy overalls 4 sizes to large to accomodate the movement of the body, The Carhartt's seem to be well made.

I did run across another product that did raise my eyebrows, the Gears Gen X2(3) Insulated Chaps which seem very affordable. In fact their customer svc tech wrote back with some encouraging news:

Hi XXXXXXXXX,

Thigh is adjustable with a provision of adjustable Velcro length .We are left with one pcs of gen x 2 leg chap in size 33 .

You can order the products online .You will need to buy battery cord ( 100144-1) and temperature controller ( 100151-1) to run your gen x 2 leg chap .

Or you can buy gen x 3 leg chap .To run the gen x 3 leg chap you will need to buy battery cord (100227-1) and single output temperature controller ( 100230-1)

Thanks

XXXXXXXXXXXX

The only drawbacks is the purchase of the xtra equipment needed to run the garment, of course it does get quite pricey, the only thing I did not ask was the warranty on the product, it might be a well worth investment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With luck I was able to find Carhartt Insulated (medium) Overalls. I have been using them with different thickness of thermals under them and they work great, I am surprised that the added benefit is that little extra padding in the rear helps me take longer rides without the added discomfort. The 13.5oz duckbill-cotton and double thick rear and knees have also ended the chaffing, really surprised. Really impressed and pleased with the Carhartt medium insulated overalls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts