Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gang...I've foamed, padded, screwed and siliconed all the fairing parts and have narrowed my buzz to something deeeep inside the instrument cluster...Took that out and tried to get to the source but it seems some unsoldering would be required:eek:...So MY QUESTION: Has anyone had their cluster replaced under warranty because of this friggin buzz? The buzz lives somewhere behind the tach needle...
Its killin me, my next fix is going to be my 23 oz framing hammer :devil:

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you use your framing hammer on it will you be able to tell what was buzzing when you get in there. just wondering????

·
Registered
98 Posts
I remember reading an earlier thread on here of someone who had found the buzz inside the instrument cluster, but can't remember where I saw it, seems like they said it sounded like a ball rattling inside.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I remember reading an earlier thread on here of someone who had found the buzz inside the instrument cluster, but can't remember where I saw it, seems like they said it sounded like a ball rattling inside.
I remember the thread you speak of and I would assume that it was on this forum, but I couldn't find it easily. I have never heard such a noise (either it isn't happening on my bike or my hearing is already poor enough that I do not notice it).

·
Registered
236 Posts
sometimes there is a plus to getting old and not hearing those high pitch noises! To be honest, I did have the buzz at my instruments. I was able to fix mine with the foam tape in front of the cluster and behind the farrings. I get alot of noise from my helmet, so I don't notice the clunking transmission or the gas tank venting noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seems there have been some instrument clusters replaced under warranty, due to failure of reset or function mode buttons. There may be a bit of plastic broken off inside, that could rattle or buzz internally.

Might want to check all the functions on yours.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I wonder if a can of DAP window caulk (minimal expanding) might fix this? Or maybe some stick-on wheel weights?
I've just recently gotten rid of all my buzzes....kawi isn't real great at fit and finish.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a bad thought Tomla...Its not a loose piece of plastic, its something that is attached on the ass end of the tach needle between the face and the circuit board...I just can't figure out how to get the circuit board off the back without really making a total mess out of it...If I screw it up it's 500+ to replace, so maybe a little injection of DAP will do it :) I just hope it doesn't screw up the mech that operated the tach needle...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I remember reading someone sealed the two halfs of the cluster assembly with silicone to prevent air leaking into cluster assy. and causing the buzzing.
I'd try this befor the bfh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts