Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to installing the gear indicator? Hopefully it is pretty much cut and dried. I bought one today from Partzilla for $162. I will also install a power outlet at the same time using Motojunkie's awesome instructions.
I already have the relay for the OEM fog lights installed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Very easy. Just place the indicator where you want it, run the wire under the seat and plug in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about the earlier V's, but the '15 has a dedicated spot on the right side of the dash.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What benefit are you getting for the gear indicator that costs $162? :confused:
not having to count one thru six and back down?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is only going to cost me $1 for the next 162 times I ride, then after that, it is free!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I broke down and bought the OEM gear indicator as well... My last two bikes had it built into the instrument panel, and I *can't* believe how much I miss it on the V... Got the relay as well...
According to the install you have to pull everything out of the front panel (including the instrument meter), as opposed to just the front cowl and windshield, as you do for the relay... Is that not the case?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Windshield and front cowl is it! Lame that they say you have to take apart more. I used an offset no. 2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the plug, but you may be able to get it out with a stubby no 2. Certainly no need to take apart more. The relay too is right there if you've seen Motojunkie's photos.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Windshield and front cowl is it! Lame that they say you have to take apart more. I used an offset no. 2 Phillips screwdriver to remove the plug, but you may be able to get it out with a stubby no 2. Certainly no need to take apart more. The relay too is right there if you've seen Motojunkie's photos.
Great... You just saved me a couple hours of nonsense for naught...

I've got a mini-offset ratchet for these occasions... works ridiculously well...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Installed the relay and gear indicator this weekend. Nice and bright, and looks like it belongs there...
The only wonky thing is the delay when you change gears, and it goes "--" when you clutch (both of which are not an issue with an integrated-in-the-panel gear indicator). Otherwise, it's great.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is nice to know what gear you are in, isn't it? Nice know you are in 6th on the freeway and not having to always attempt to upshift to "see" if you have another gear.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have looked for "7th" a couple times myself.. I think it could have 8 gears and we would still look for 9.

Watching the tach is the other indicator.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
I have looked for "7th" a couple times myself.. I think it could have 8 gears and we would still look for 9.

Watching the tach is the other indicator.
I use a little 'mental math' to see IF I'm in 6th.
MPH - each 500rpm X 7. For instance: 5,500 rpm is (11 X) 7, so = 77 mph.
Metric - each 500rpm X 11. Same example: (11 X 11) so = 121 kph.

EASY, PEASY....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Installed the relay and gear indicator this weekend. Nice and bright, and looks like it belongs there...
The only wonky thing is the delay when you change gears, and it goes "--" when you clutch (both of which are not an issue with an integrated-in-the-panel gear indicator). Otherwise, it's great.

Wow, that does look like it's an attention getter! GEAR 1! GEAR 2! GEAR 3! GEAR 4! NO, GEAR 3! GEAR 2!...

My only concern would be that it is a distraction from driving, but it does look great! Good clean wiring job.

I never count my gears since you have to fish for neutral anyway and what ever pulls you is the right gear to be in. I just don't have the excess mental capacity to keep me safe with cars all around me and look at my gear count too :( or an extra $162.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I do the 6th gear check regularly. a little digital display would be nice sometimes.

Yes, I guess so, but I just don't like peripheral mental processes introduced into my driving time activities. I want to make the right side console something I'll use a little more productively (instead of maybe causing me to wreck looking at it when I can feel the gears with throttle and toe.) It's precious real estate.

Maybe I could move my cigarette lighter from the handlebar clamp to the right side and clean the bars up, or a compass maybe. Whatever it is, I'd prefer not to introduce it into my driving requirements by looking at the corners of my dash all the time, which DEFINITELY increases the probability of an accident caused by it. It is attention getting and hard to ignore I'd suspect when you are driving. I'm either going or stopping, and I'd rather not starting thinking about 6 gears while I'm driving!

I'll probably just put the SAE Battery Tender connector and cigarette lighter too on the right side for practicality and convenience.

OR maybe a 6th gear LIGHT (anywhere)?? Now that's the Human Factors Engineering ticket! Where is OneWizard at???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts