Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPS just delivered my brand new Yoshi R-77 slip on exhaust. Installed it as soon as I got home from work. Install was pretty straightforward and instructions were very easy to follow. Was surprised that the stock exhaust was very heavy. I would say it's a good 5-7 lbs heavier than the Yoshi can. I have to say that the setup looks pretty clean once it's installed. Took it for a quick spin and I really like how it sounds now. Even some pop when you let off the gas. Anyway, I will post a more thorough review once we do a road trip this weekend. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds good. Make sure to get a fuel controller that way you don't burn the exhaust valves and have hotspots :).

Does this slip-on flow that much air without a hiflo air cleaner? I really don't know. It might not be a bad idea in combination with a performance air cleaner but again, I really don't know. But intuition and general reading tells me, however wrong it may be, that with just a slipon and not a full exhaust, that a power commander or some such controller, will be an expense that could be dispensed! I guess I'm just saying some research is in order.

If anyone actually knows, I'm all ears and eager to learn.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does this slip-on flow that much air without a hiflo air cleaner? I really don't know. It might not be a bad idea in combination with a performance air cleaner but again, I really don't know. But intuition and general reading tells me, however wrong it may be, that with just a slipon and not a full exhaust, that a power commander or some such controller, will be an expense that could be dispensed! I guess I'm just saying some research is in order.

If anyone actually knows, I'm all ears and eager to learn.
Some bikes when you "just install a slipon" you are just replacing the end pipe. I don't know the Versys-X 300 at all, but if you are removing the catalytic converter you should absolutely be tuning.

If you aren't dealing with the cat anymore then don't worry about it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know how the ECU is programmed, but it should be able to compensate for some extra flow.

I have more experience on cars, it's rarely needed to reprogram just because of fitting a test pipe or new air filter.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pipes like that always sound great while going up and down the throttle and gears but in my experience get droney on a long trip.
I'd also like it more if it were two or three octaves lower. :grin2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too have installed the Yosh slip-on and have to say I love it. Due to my paranoid concern of valve burning and to decrease the erratic popping on decel I installed a power commander. With the stock fuel map on the module, I noticed a world of difference. Chiefly, the engine temp runs much more reasonably. It runs at 4/6 bars in town or on hotter days (90°F) and I don't think I've even seen the fifth bar. In addition, the popping was reduced to a bearable level. Most awesome of all, I got a noticeable power boost (~10% more) throughout the whole RPM range. As an added bonus, the exhaust sound is a lower pitch; more of a performance bike than a riceburner. All in all, I would say the power commander is the best value upgrade on this little bike other than changing the seat!
I do intend on installing an autotune kit to perfect the tuning, however I need to enlist the help of a good welder to replace the O2 sensor mount in the pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have installed the Yosh slip-on and have to say I love it. Due to my paranoid concern of valve burning and to decrease the erratic popping on decel I installed a power commander. With the stock fuel map on the module, I noticed a world of difference. Chiefly, the engine temp runs much more reasonably. It runs at 4/6 bars in town or on hotter days (90°F) and I don't think I've even seen the fifth bar. In addition, the popping was reduced to a bearable level. Most awesome of all, I got a noticeable power boost (~10% more) throughout the whole RPM range. As an added bonus, the exhaust sound is a lower pitch; more of a performance bike than a riceburner. All in all, I would say the power commander is the best value upgrade on this little bike other than changing the seat!
I do intend on installing an autotune kit to perfect the tuning, however I need to enlist the help of a good welder to replace the O2 sensor mount in the pipe.
What did you get for a power commander? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I can't seem to find the right model... Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Though this thread is a little old, I'm wondering how you feel the exhaust is after some time?
Any info on how much of a power increase you are actually getting? Doesn't seem like Yoshi has a dyno chart to look at. Are the power increases with or without a baffle in?
I'd rather by Made in the USA, but the Akro exhaust at least give you some info on what to expect on increases.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Have a Yoshi installed way back in 2010 and still good after 61k Km on the bike. Fuel wise , no changes notice , horsepower more or less the same as i didn't do Dyno on the bike.

The Yoshi is lighter then the OE and sound great with baffle in -85db.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts