Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't like the look of the Koso digital gauges, so I got a VDO Marine Viewline oil temperature gauge with bezel, sender and 3/8" adapter bushing from Defender Industries in CT. Standard shipping took 36 hours from when I placed the order.

Pics:

Drilled a 2" hole in the surround and filed it by hand to 2 1/16" for a tight fit. Tapped into the side marker light for power and put the sender in the plug hole near the oil level window as described in Poochar and Invader's install here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554&page=2

Haven't ridden around monitoring temperatures yet, but I will report anything interesting I discover about oil temperatures in very cold air temps.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
:thumb:

I use a ETMS- Engine Temperature Monitoring System and its has variable setting which means I get the fan to start when i want by setting to a lower temp. Normally the fan kicks in at about 102C, but my setting is at 95C and this system is independent of the ECU.

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Very nice gauge, Dr Brody... Is the warning lamp temperature adjustable? If not, what is it set to come on at?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa Fastoman - that's classy!

I imagine in Malaysia, overheating is more of a concern than it is for me in Massachusetts. Here, I worry about the oil not getting warm enough - sometimes I ride in sub-freezing temps. If my concerns are correct, maybe I'll get a Therm-O-Bob.

On my way to Thailand soon - wish I could bring my V!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sender I got didn't have a warning switch, but you could get one.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts

I imagine in Malaysia, overheating is more of a concern than it is for me in Massachusetts. Here, I worry about the oil not getting warm enough - sometimes I ride in sub-freezing temps. If my concerns are correct, maybe I'll get a Therm-O-Bob.

DROP by Malaysia if you can.

·
Registered
720 Posts
:thumb:

I use a ETMS- Engine Temperature Monitoring System and its has variable setting which means I get the fan to start when i want by setting to a lower temp. Normally the fan kicks in at about 102C, but my setting is at 95C and this system is independent of the ECU.

Wow. Smart. How much?

·
Registered
92 Posts

No worries - plenty of V's available for rental here. Are you going to be in Bkk or Chiang Mai area?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BKK then Andaman Islands. Love Chiang Mai, but not this time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No worries - plenty of V's available for rental here. Are you going to be in Bkk or Chiang Mai area?
My son was there twice in the last three years for vacation and he loves the Bangkok area. He would love to move there if he could find a good IT job like he has now in NYC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts