Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 12v plug (c/w the USB 5v plug at NO extra cost!) from Cycle Gear last winter, on sale at about $10, and installed it yesterday. Here are pics of what product it is.

12v install1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

12v install2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Once I had removed the factory plug

12v install4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I checked the size of the hole in the dash

12v install7 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

which is the SAME size as the Cycle Gear 12v adapter

12v install5 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Once I had 'trial-fitted' it, I removed it and looked for a couple of 'bullet-connectors' in my electrical stash, and found one each, F and M.

12v install3 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Then I looked at the wires beside the Kawi relay I'd installed for about $16 Cdn last year, and checked for 12v w/ a multi-meter. YES - ignition ON - 12v, OFF - NO v...!

12v install6 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

So I removed enough of the electricians tape to free both wires,

12v install8 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

cut about 28" from the Cycle Gear adaptor pig-tale, then crimped the two bullet connectors on (female onto black, male onto red), followed by soldering, then 'shrink-wrapping' them,

12v install9 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

installed the plug thru the hole in the dash (I'd picked the left-side one because of some members reporting clearance issues when using the right-side hole)

12v install10 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then attached the two bullet connectors (also a bit of electricians tape DESPITE the shrink-wrap)

12v install8 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

12v install11 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

checked for voltage (zero), then ignition ON, checked again - 12V!

and here it is - COMPLETE.

12v install12 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Took maybe an hour, not counting removing the windscreen and 'meter-cover', and works my 12v compressor. Not bad for $10 and some time....

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I actually have one of those exact 12V power thingy's in my "electrical whatnot bin".

Great post.

Now I just need to go and fish out a relay.

:)

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought a 12v plug (c/w the USB 5v plug at NO extra cost!) from Cycle Gear last winter, on sale at about $10, and installed it yesterday. Here are pics of what product it is.

Once I had removed the factory plug

I checked the size of the hole in the dash

which is the SAME size as the Cycle Gear 12v adapter

Once I had 'trial-fitted' it, I removed it and looked for a couple of 'bullet-connectors' in my electrical stash, and found one each, F and M.

Then I looked at the wires beside the Kawi relay I'd installed for about $16 Cdn last year, and checked for 12v w/ a multi-meter. YES - ignition ON - 12v, OFF - NO v...!

So I removed enough of the electricians tape to free both wires,

cut about 28" from the Cycle Gear adaptor pig-tale, then crimped the two bullet connectors on (female onto black, male onto red), followed by soldering, then 'shrink-wrapping' them,

installed the plug thru the hole in the dash (I'd picked the left-side one because of some members reporting clearance issues when using the right-side hole)

then attached the two bullet connectors (also a bit of electricians tape DESPITE the shrink-wrap)

checked for voltage (zero), then ignition ON, checked again - 12V!

and here it is - COMPLETE.

Took maybe an hour, not counting removing the windscreen and 'meter-cover', and works my 12v compressor. Not bad for $10 and some time....

:thumb: - :thumb:

If don't mind could you describe how you remove the windscreen and 'meter-cover'? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If don't mind could you describe how you remove the windscreen and 'meter-cover'? Thanks
Windshield - remove those two BIG black plastic knobs between the two bolts on each side, then remove it (BUT be careful NOT to drop and lose the small, black plastic pieces that are between the metal-part the BIG black plastic knobs screw into, and the metal "rail" the 'shield slides up-and-down on.

Meter cover - remove the two "push-pins" (1 each side of the horizontal black plastic over the instruments) - look for the 'hole' just right of my knuckle in this pic.

Then remove the TWO shiny bolts at the lower front of the meter-cover (they go into the two 'well-nuts' - black things - either side of the shiny green piece in this pic)

and then slide the black meter cover FORWARD, in a DOWN-WARD direction, and you're in there.

REVERSE to re-attach.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Windshield - remove those two BIG black plastic knobs between the two bolts on each side, then remove it (BUT be careful NOT to drop and lose the small, black plastic pieces that are between the metal-part the BIG black plastic knobs screw into, and the metal "rail" the 'shield slides up-and-down on.

Meter cover - remove the two "push-pins" (1 each side of the horizontal black plastic over the instruments) - look for the 'hole' just right of my knuckle in this pic.

Then remove the TWO shiny bolts at the lower front of the meter-cover (they go into the two 'well-nuts' - black things - either side of the shiny green piece in this pic)

and then slide the black meter cover FORWARD, in a DOWN-WARD direction, and you're in there.

REVERSE to re-attach.
Thanks man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before I start a new post I chose this one to ask the questions I have about installing the relay and usb outlet.
I have a 2020 650LT. Just received the Kawasaki relay and an aftermarket USB outlet.

#1) is the wires leading to the usb outlet fused through the bike or do I need to add a inline fuse with the aftermarket usb outlet?

#2) when I turn the ignition off, does the power go off at the usb outlet? Most of the aftermarket usb outlets have a led light installed in them and can drain the battery.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Before I start a new post I chose this one to ask the questions I have about installing the relay and usb outlet.
I have a 2020 650LT. Just received the Kawasaki relay and an aftermarket USB outlet.

#1) is the wires leading to the usb outlet fused through the bike or do I need to add a inline fuse with the aftermarket usb outlet?

#2) when I turn the ignition off, does the power go off at the usb outlet? Most of the aftermarket usb outlets have a led light installed in them and can drain the battery.

Thanks in advance.
If you use the wires behind the dash that are made for the factory outlet, those are fused. And those leads only have power if the key is on.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks in advance.
#1 - YES, once you've installed the Kawi relay.

#2 - YES - power is OFF or ON thru the ignition.

BTW - I JUST RE-ADDED PICS TO MY ORIGINAL THREAD POST FROM 2016 - POST #1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Success!!!

Installed the relay and aftermarket USB outlet tonight. Just like you guys said no power till ignition is turned on. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just like you guys said no power till ignition is turned on. Thanks again!
That way nobody can 'stick' something into the socket and give your bike a short-circuit, thus burning it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts