Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. These forums have been fantastic, and providing all kinds of great information. Thanks in advance to all of you.

I am looking at an '08 Versys in the next week or so. It's got only 4500mi on it or so, and it appears to be in relatively good shape from the initial inspection I've given it so far. It has been sitting outdoors (but under a cover) for a few months so it's likely the battery may not start it, but here's hoping.

I'm going to take another look before I buy it. Is there anything specific to the Versys that I need to look out for or inspect before buying it? Any major gotchas? Trouble spots?

I won't be able to put it up on stands and give it a full pre-buy inspection, but if there's anything glaring I need to look out for, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks again, in advance. This is one of the most helpful bike-specific forums I've ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
If it starts, runs, sounds good, and there are NO scrapes from falling down (stationary or moving), with that mileage you should be AOK. :goodluck: Have a look at the mirrors, though - pull up the little rubber piece at the bottom of the arm (3/8"?) and look at the nuts. IF the top aluminum one is "chewed-up", you'll PROBABLY have to budget for new ones. LOTS of posts on here about how to PROPERLY tighten them, as well as in the owners manual - they DO NOT tighten in a manner that's intuitive! :huh:
Welcome aboard. :clap:

·
Registered
288 Posts
shouldnt have any probs with an 08.
look at discs for ridges chain and sprockets that are pointed 9 this will show if the milleadge is true )
Hold onto the front brake and rock the bike forward and back wards to detect head stock bearing free play (could be due to wheelies)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner disclosed that there are a couple of scratches from a parking lot tipover - bike wasn't running, wind blew it over, but on the first inspection (I looked at the same bike a couple months ago) I didn't notice anything serious.

I'll be doing a more detailed inspection at the end of the week.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Personally, I would not buy a motorcycle that won't start, unless I could get an amazing deal, or if it was an old basket case, priced accordingly. I would lean on the seller to have a running bike, that you can ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts