Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m 500 miles into my first riding season. I thought I’d check the tire pressure and add air as needed. I have a flexible tire gauge so that wasn’t a big struggle. But using the air pump at the gas station was impossible. Any tips for a new rider wanting to stay on top of tire pressure? Should I pick up one of these adapters to bring with me when I plan to pump up?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
I installed aluminum 90 degree valves to make it easier to check/inflate my tires, but each ride I check the tires as truckers do - by hitting them w/ a mallet, on the tread.

Before doing that the FIRST time, I took the pressures way down, hit them, then reinflated to the correct pressure and hit them again so I had some "muscle-memory" of what I was looking for.

FWIW - the first 90 degree valves I put in were similar to that 90 degree 'extension' in your first image, but included the rubber part that goes thru, then "seats" in the hole in the rim. I DO NOT recommend them, as somehow they were able to move enough to flatten my tire, probably from centrifugal force, WHILE I was riding.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I carry a 12V pump, but when I'm home just topping off a few psi I break out my floor-standing bicycle pump.

Reactions: JimK and rsherman

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
Don,t understand as to why you cant inflate your tires in Gas station. anyway I inflate mine at gas station and check pressure with my own gauge as i don,t trust the reading at gas station....
Over here in the US and Canada - MANY 'service' stations DO NOT have compressors for the public, and that might be due to liability issues. Plus, by the time you get to a place w/ a compressor your tires have already warmed-up, so you're NOT getting a really good idea of your pressures.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The problem is when you get a nail or something and you lose pressure... far away from any compressed air source.

·
Premium Member
16,218 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Over here in the US and Canada - MANY 'service' stations DO NOT have compressors for the public, and that might be due to liability issues. Plus, by the time you get to a place w/ a compressor your tires have already warmed-up, so you're NOT getting a really good idea of your pressures.

:goodluck:
Noted. Here we have air supply at every station, but the problem is that the gauges are not calibrated and its user,s risk - no consumer law. whatever the case, i do carry a mini compressor and tire kit all the time in my bike.

anyway., thanks for the update.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I carry a 12V pump, but when I'm home just topping off a few psi I break out my floor-standing bicycle pump.
Exactly the same here.

Also dittos on installing a 90 degree metal valve when doing the next tire change. Unless you love your tires right now, go ahead and swap to better tires! There's no reason to ride around on crappy tires. You can sell them to help offset the price of new rubber that will inspire a lot more confidence.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don,t understand as to why you cant inflate your tires in Gas station. anyway I inflate mine at gas station and check pressure with my own gauge as i don,t trust the reading at gas station.

You can get one of these for accurate pressure setting.
https://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/fitting-inflating/tyre-inflator-gauges/tyre-inflators/michelin.html.
I agree with what Fast Eddie said - my friend broke is hand using a gas station air compressor that blew itself apart and of course the gas stations are liable here. But I think OP's actual issue is that many of the gas station compressors use certain types of inflation devices that are nearly impossible to get in between motorcycle rotors to fit onto standard valve stems, like this:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I carry around one of the angled adapters on the bike. But on my last 3 bikes when i do the first tire change i have these installed.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Black-CNC-Aluminum-Motorcycle-90-11-3mm-Wheel-Tire-Stem-Tubeless-Valve/132164028109?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 First 2 times i went with the Kurvy Gurl units at $28.00 a pair. On my V-1000 i went with the eBay cheapies and they work just as well..

P1020239 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks for this suggestion.:grin2: I just ordered them off Ebay in red to help with a quick observance. Early today I had just done a pressure check and fill and was really ticked off again at having a hard time using a tire gage and my tire pump won`t connect so I do use my bike pump.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for this suggestion.:grin2: I just ordered them off Ebay in red to help with a quick observance. Early today I had just done a pressure check and fill and was really ticked off again at having a hard time using a tire gage and my tire pump won`t connect so I do use my bike pump.
I've always used a standing bicycle pump on my motorcycle tires. That said, I've had a helluva time connecting my bicycle pump valve to the bike's valve stem due to the double rotors. I was not successful, but since others here have said they've done this with no problem, I'm willing to give it another shot. I always prefer doing this at home than going to a gas station.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
I have the same 90 degree valves on my two Vs.

:thumb: - :clap:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Woops , I didn`t check close enough. I thought these just screwed on to the original valve stems. Didn`t notice they replaced them entirely.If the time comes when I need a new tire I would have it replaced and the new stem put on at the same time, but that could be awhile away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
PS , I bought a set of the ones BWM posted in the picture on the left. Might take a couple weeks to get here, but like I said earlier I just did a check and fill so no hurry.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
90' Valve stems

I followed Joe's advice, first I checked with my local tire dealer, they had 90' valve stems for Gold-wings, so I bought them off Ebay, once they came in I changed to PR-5 and had the ones I bought installed, absolutely love them, pointed towards the right side of the bike. Now there is a simple improvement Kawasaki could make.

Rear

Front

1 - 20 of 27 Posts