Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com.

You better hope nobody from the EU reads this, but there's a pill that some experts think could 'cure' you of motorcycling.

The new drug *called co-trimoxazole* has been proven ten times more effective than previous remedies against the condition Toxoplasmosis *a bacterial infection Dr Robert Sapolsky of Stanford University says is unusually common in motorcyclists, and which he believes could have contributed to our desire to ride the things in the first place.

Toxoplasma is a parasite scientists have recently observed makes infected rats appear to want to get closer to their chief predator, cats. Infected rodents become sexually attracted to cat urine, and take uncharacteristic risks in the presence of their feline nemesis. The behaviour change is believed to be driven by the infection's desire to be passed up the foodchain.

Dr Sapolsky goes on to say that motorcyclists have a high probability of being infected with Toxoplasmosis, and that infected people are "three to four times more likely to be killed in car accidents involving reckless speeding" *suggesting the condition is key to our appetite for speed and risk.

Sapolsky says: "What is the bottom line on this? Well, it depends; if you want to overcome some of your inhibitions, Toxo might be a very good thing to have in your system.

"You want to know something utterly terrifying? The U.S. Military is interested in Toxo. And I would think they would be intrigued, studying a parasite that makes mammals perhaps do things that everything in their fiber normally tells them not to because it's dangerous and ridiculous and stupid and don't do it."

Worldwide Toxoplasmosis, *which is picked up from cat or rodent faeces and generally goes untreated, is one of humanity's most prevalent infections, but the variances are interesting.

For example, Britain has a Toxoplasma infection rate of 6.6% while in bike-loving France it's 45%. Road deaths are also 68% higher in France than in the UK.

Now I know why I ride:D and I got a good reason-INFECTED:p

Are you guys infected too:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:thumb:...I am, I am....:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I can foresee a time when governments will declare this “infection” a public hazard and as such will make it mandatory that you take your medication...

I hope I’m dead by then!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think it should be applied to all drinking water.
Is the infection rate any different between men and women?
I'd like to see more women riders.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Toxoplasmosis almost caused my wife to go blind (did lose one eye) and is no cause for levity. If there is a new treatment that is great. Never heard the bit about motorcycles before (she does not care for them, and is very risk averse), of course hers was cured 40+ years ago!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well that's it then! I've been trying to explain this motorcycle obsession to myself since I was a kid. I feel better now. I've had it for a few decades, so I think it must be a chronic condition.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That wasn't levity, I was serious, but I had no idea it could cause complications like losing your eye sight, so no offense intended.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lord, and i always thought it was in the gene pool...But I'm definetly infected:D

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toxoplasmosis almost caused my wife to go blind (did lose one eye) and is no cause for levity. If there is a new treatment that is great. Never heard the bit about motorcycles before (she does not care for them, and is very risk averse), of course hers was cured 40+ years ago!!
JCCTX.

Sorry to hear about your wife and trust that she is in the pink of health now.
Never knew about this before I posted here and to add some light to Toxoplasmosis here is what they say abou it:

What is Toxoplasmosis of the eye and what causes it?
A germ called toxoplasma can cause infection within the eye. This is known as toxoplasmosis of the eye. The infection causes damage to the eye that can lead to visual impairment.

Many animals are infected with this germ, including cats. The germ is found in the faeces of these infected animals. A person can catch an infection if they eat food dirtied by faeces with the toxoplasma germ. Foods that can lead to an infection include some uncooked meats, unpasteurised milk and raw vegetables. The toxoplasma germ does not survive cooking or boiling.

Most adults do not know they have caught an infection. Most adults do not develop any problems from a toxoplasma infection and do not get toxoplasmosis of the eye. In fact most adults in the UK,:eek: if tested, have had a toxoplasma infection at some time in their lives but have normal eyes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts