Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit, this is my first new bike in a LONG time, also my first fuel injected bike. Maybe this is normal, but it takes everything I have not to bend my key opening my gas cap. Any secrets to prying that sucker up? Does it lessen with time?

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
I must admit, this is my first new bike in a LONG time, also my first fuel injected bike. Maybe this is normal, but it takes everything I have not to bend my key opening my gas cap. Any secrets to prying that sucker up? Does it lessen with time?
Ditto on the steel key, however there shouldn't be any vacuum. I bought two steel keys, no more worry.Also you will find that pressing down on the gas cap reduces the turning force required.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I believe that is mentioned in the owners manual. The pushing down part that is.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Spray some WD-40 into the key hole. If the lock is stiff this will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Spray some WD-40 into the key hole. If the lock is stiff this will make a huge difference.
I had read in the past, not to use WD40 as it will attract dirt into the cylinder more. It said to use graphite instead. Bought a spray can of graphite and my lock has turned very easy ever since.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Thanks for the link to the key blanks. I just had to order two!
Take them to Ace Hardware. Some places don't want to cut steel keys.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fullcircle -- I would bet that your gas cap is broken.

I had the SAME ISSUE with my brand new 2011 versys. I was going crazy. Even the bike shop thought I was an idiot and just said "push down then turn". I am going to assume that you are not an idiot and you know how to turn a key.

That being said the issue was "The Cap wasnt venting properly". Without proper ventillation the fuel pump will remove the gas but then air will not filter back into the tank, thus becoming a vaccum inside.

Obviously, the longer you ride (100+ miles) without opening it, the stronger the vaccum.

I took it to the dealer after riding it around 100 miles and they were in shock by the fact that they couldnt open it, and only could after taking a screw driver to it in order to pry it open.

Needless to say, it's under warranty, they threw a new stock cap on it and no more issues after that.

Bring it back to the dealer and tell them the cap is not venting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts