Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a nice problem. I went to my dealer for a 25000km tune up for valve adjustment. He did also spark plugs (17$ each, ouch!) and cleaned air filter.

I don't think I have changed anything in my riding habits but it seems that the bike has noticeably more power than last year, when I stored it for winter. It looks like my front wheel is suddenly much lighter :yeahsmile:

I probably forgot after 4 months of riding abstinence how good was the versys.
:):):)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just did my valves (literally as I buttoned up about 30 minutes ago) and the only real thing I have noticed so far is a very slight valve sound. This was expected for me though as I adjusted out ti the looser end of the spectrum.

I also noticed I had to adjust the idle though to keep it from revving to low and dying... odd as I have had to do that before on previous bikes...

·
Registered
122 Posts

In on piston one: 14 - 16
In on piston two: 15 - 15
Ex on piston one: 20 - 21
Ex on piston two: 21 - 20

I adjusted the ins to between 19 and 21 and the example to 28-30. That's as accurate as the shims I have would allow and I didn't feel much like working them down to equivalent sizes :)

Spark plugs were changed about 3k ago with new densos.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Only way I could see burnedstars scenarioyou is if those valves were e
EXTREMELY loose before going in...

Course, could be in your head if its been a while :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a nice problem. I went to my dealer for a 25000km tune up for valve adjustment. He did also spark plugs (17$ each, ouch!) and cleaned air filter.

I don't think I have changed anything in my riding habits but it seems that the bike has noticeably more power than last year, when I stored it for winter. It looks like my front wheel is suddenly much lighter :yeahsmile:

I probably forgot after 4 months of riding abstinence how good was the versys.
:):):)
the main difference would of been throttle bodies adjusted and tuned, that is standard in a tune and service, that's where the power gain would come from.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
BTW, a little off topic, did any of you who did the valves, also do a Throttle Body Balancing?
I did also balance my throttle bodies' vacuum balancing, which is done at 1300 rpm idle. It does improve idle quality and throttle response... Burnedstar didn't mention that it was done. Most of his restored power came from new spark plugs, beside air filter cleaning and valve clearance adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts