Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2000 km red V with a hungry engine - really bad MPG (32-35) and before anyone says that it has a lot to do with how you drive - I know that - I try to ride super easy :cool:

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily commuter).

I'm looking for some ads or any Kawasaki's official stuff that shows how the V is supposed to run in terms of fuel consumption. I have a link to Kawasaki's american web site with the number 48MPG but would very much like to find more and any European Kawasaki publicity\ ads - we get the euro models over here :).

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=720

Thank you so much for your help.

Ps. I have started a threat about technical advice here :
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21886

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I am sure you have had all the stuff thrown at you, but let me tell you this.

Bought a new Honda CRV. The mpg was less then tagged. Every ten thousand miles I put on the it the better mpg I'm getting.

The down side... I'm finally getting the mpg I should have got off the lot.

The upside... These cars are just broke in at 100k and they are getting 300k out of them.

So maybe it will take 6k-10k to fully break in for best mpg. You also might get 120k out of your bike! :thumb:

·
Banned
349 Posts
You might take it to a qualified shop that can do a full Motorcycle Dynamo meter test ($54 at my shop). That much difference in fuel consumption would show up in Exhaust Gas analysis.
probably low quality fuel or a out of wack TB control (ECU?)

$ 54 at my shop

Hey all,

I have a 2000 km red V with a hungry engine - really bad MPG (32-35) and before anyone says that it has a lot to do with how you drive - I know that - I try to ride super easy :cool:

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily co.

mmuter).

I'm looking for some ads or any Kawasaki's official stuff that shows how the V is supposed to run in terms of fuel consumption. I have a link to Kawasaki's american web site with the number 48MPG but would very much like to find more and any European Kawasaki publicity\ ads - we get the euro models over here :).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Your experience is not unusual. My versys gets terrible mileage...similar to yours. My bike runs well and is completely stock. I tend to keep the motor wound around 4-6 k and I never short-shift. I weigh 190lbs give or take. Your riding style may be different but remember lower RPM's don't necessarily mean more effecincy or less stress. The dyno (as Seeya suggests) would tell you whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yamadog - I'm at about sea level going up to 800m.

I'm not sure where I can find a Dyno in Israel (we just legalized racing so it might take a few years before all the gear comes up to speed with that).

any one has any suggestions about what to check - mechanicaly

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tend to keep the motor wound around 4-6 k and I never short-shift. Your riding style may be different but remember lower RPM's don't necessarily mean more effecincy or less stress.
I can honestly say that revving the engine higher will reduce your MPG. Someone who really practices what Yamadog does will not see the MPG that people like fasteddiecopeman get.

Saying that, I do not get good mileage during the winter. I get really good mileage during the warmer season when I am not riding at interstate speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Hey all,

I've tried calling my dealer for answer but he is answer-less and is directing everything to the official rep of Kawasaki here, they are claiming that Kawasaki never advertised any MPG data so there's no problem and they are very reluctant to assist in anyway - meanwhile, I'm stuck with the bill (the bike is my daily commuter).

What year is it? Also check threads by Invader about throttle position and vacuum hose mods. I had changed my vacuum hose to a version #2, my fuel mileage was terrible and I found that while engine braking I was dumping fuel out the exhaust, changed it back to original and adjusted TPS and idle, I get 54 to 59 MPG and I am over 200 LBS, my rides are highway were I reach 140 KM/hr and hills of 50m, BTW it is a 07.I bought it used with less than 10km, so I did the break in, been consistently getting above 45MPG since new, and seems to be getting 2 to 3 mpg better since I use Lucas upper cylinder lube/ fuel conditioner.
:goodluck:
The other factor that could affect mileage is your chain, make sure it isn't too tight, and since there are many that swear by WD40, I use Dupont Chain saver.The chain can drop your mileage 10 MPG, however, eventually you will have chain failure.
:interesting:

·
Registered
420 Posts
The fuel you are getting can vary the mileage. Don't forget , gasoline isn't really standard throughout the world.here in the USA there are various levels of alcohol added, in other countries there can be more light fractions added to control everything from octane to fast starting. You would also need to see through analysis of the exhaust gas how its truly running.Temperature can affect MPG , there's a million variables in truth.I have never seen any motorcycle have a advertised mileage ,from any manufacturer. they do not have to meet any mileage standards here ,so its not advertised here (USA) I do not know of any such standards in any of the major markets worldwide for motorcycles.

·
Registered
559 Posts
2000km is still pretty new...I'd wait at least 10000km to really get an idea of the mpg it will be getting. The newer the bike the more friction between parts in the engine. Same applies to new cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts