Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 650 LT with 5767 miles. I'm 5'7" .... 150lbs. Looking for the following to tour long-distance ...... no buffet windshield, all day riding seat, thicker rubberized foot-pegs to cut down "buzzing". Any & all suggestions welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have completed two mods to my '16, oxford heated grips and shoodaben flash. Grips are nice, the flash makes a huge difference in low end performance!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dropped mine on it's side, cracking the front fairing. Now it whistles and I have yet to see a deer anywhere near me. Might just be a coincidence.

Anyway, the only mod I've made was adding 90 degree valve stems as suggested on this forum. Makes it much easier to check and fill the tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

You can raise the front of your seat about 1/2", for around $2, for 2 = M6 x45 bolts and 12 = 1/4" washers, plus a small piece of scrap steel probably lying in your shop right now.

I've ridden THREE V650s OVER 150,000 miles w/ that mod, including some VERY LONG rides...!

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tip , many thanks ................. except I'm already on my tiptoes @ 5'7". However I'll give a try.

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
Great tip , many thanks ................. except I'm already on my tiptoes @ 5'7". However I'll give a try.
Have you "set your sag" yet? I'm about 5'8", sag around 47 mm, and once my weight settles the suspension BOTH feet are 'on the ground'. NOT totally flat-foot, but CLOSE!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
MotoWerks lowering kit. Unless you're planning on riding rough rocky terrain where clearance is very important (which is not a good match with the Versys), just lower it. I recently lowered my 2015 and wish I'd done it 6 years ago!!! At 5'10" I was not flat-footing it, but with the 1.5 inch lowering it is a completely different experience. The handling is the same, but at a stop it does not have that tippy heavy feeling. On any uneven or loose surface I am now 100% confident, rather than always feeling like it might tip at any moment.

Also, Motowerks front peg lowering kit. After bruising a knee there was always some discomfort riding, but lowering the pegs cured it. If you find the riding position cramped at all, lower the pegs.

Sargent seat. Yes you can raise the front of the OEM seat, but that raises you up a little bit too. Sargent makes a low seat option. I have the regular and really like it. Super comfortable for long rides, and it doesn't make reaching the ground harder. There are several highly regarded brands of seat out there. I've only ever had the Sargent and really like it.

Shoodaben ECU flash. Just do it, unless you already have smooth throttle response all the time. If it is jerky, the flash fixes it. Several threads on this forum about it.

I have the Madstad windshield. It does a very good job. Adjusting the tilt does affect buffet. If you get an aftermarket seat you may want one size larger windshield than their website suggests. The Sargent seat sits up just a tad higher in the riding position, and I wish I'd gotten the next taller windshield.

Radiator guard. Get a good metal guard.

Handlebar risers. I found the riding position a bit too bent over, feeling like I was reaching out forward all the time. Using risers, the bars are pulled back and up into a much more comfortable position. I think you can go about 2" without affecting the clutch or throttle cables. Any more than that and you may have to replace the cables with longer ones.

Tires. Factory tires are terrible. If you still have the OEM tires on it, replace them. Lots of great options depending on your needs.

Front turn signals hit the ground on a tip-over. I replaced mine with micro LED signals from R&G Racing. Many options out there in micro size.

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
...Front turn signals hit the ground on a tip-over. I replaced mine with micro LED signals from R&G Racing. Many options out there in micro size.
Or just take the OEM signals apart, and remove the bits that break the panel in a drop. THESE:

IMG_0415 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Now if it falls the turn-sig rubber bits just move.

IMG_0416 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Works the same on my Gen 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you "set your sag" yet? I'm about 5'8", sag around 47 mm, and once my weight settles the suspension BOTH feet are 'on the ground'. NOT totally flat-foot, but CLOSE!
Ed ..... thanks for all help ...... what is "sag" ? Do you mean suspension settings/adjustments ???

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts