Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 650 LT with 5767 miles. I'm 5'7" .... 150lbs. Looking for the following to tour long-distance ...... no buffet windshield, all day riding seat, thicker rubberized foot-pegs to cut down "buzzing". Any & all suggestions welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have completed two mods to my '16, oxford heated grips and shoodaben flash. Grips are nice, the flash makes a huge difference in low end performance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I dropped mine on it's side, cracking the front fairing. Now it whistles and I have yet to see a deer anywhere near me. Might just be a coincidence.

Anyway, the only mod I've made was adding 90 degree valve stems as suggested on this forum. Makes it much easier to check and fill the tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

You can raise the front of your seat about 1/2", for around $2, for 2 = M6 x45 bolts and 12 = 1/4" washers, plus a small piece of scrap steel probably lying in your shop right now.

I've ridden THREE V650s OVER 150,000 miles w/ that mod, including some VERY LONG rides...!

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tip , many thanks ................. except I'm already on my tiptoes @ 5'7". However I'll give a try.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
Great tip , many thanks ................. except I'm already on my tiptoes @ 5'7". However I'll give a try.
Have you "set your sag" yet? I'm about 5'8", sag around 47 mm, and once my weight settles the suspension BOTH feet are 'on the ground'. NOT totally flat-foot, but CLOSE!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
MotoWerks lowering kit. Unless you're planning on riding rough rocky terrain where clearance is very important (which is not a good match with the Versys), just lower it. I recently lowered my 2015 and wish I'd done it 6 years ago!!! At 5'10" I was not flat-footing it, but with the 1.5 inch lowering it is a completely different experience. The handling is the same, but at a stop it does not have that tippy heavy feeling. On any uneven or loose surface I am now 100% confident, rather than always feeling like it might tip at any moment.

Also, Motowerks front peg lowering kit. After bruising a knee there was always some discomfort riding, but lowering the pegs cured it. If you find the riding position cramped at all, lower the pegs.

Sargent seat. Yes you can raise the front of the OEM seat, but that raises you up a little bit too. Sargent makes a low seat option. I have the regular and really like it. Super comfortable for long rides, and it doesn't make reaching the ground harder. There are several highly regarded brands of seat out there. I've only ever had the Sargent and really like it.

Shoodaben ECU flash. Just do it, unless you already have smooth throttle response all the time. If it is jerky, the flash fixes it. Several threads on this forum about it.

I have the Madstad windshield. It does a very good job. Adjusting the tilt does affect buffet. If you get an aftermarket seat you may want one size larger windshield than their website suggests. The Sargent seat sits up just a tad higher in the riding position, and I wish I'd gotten the next taller windshield.

Radiator guard. Get a good metal guard.

Handlebar risers. I found the riding position a bit too bent over, feeling like I was reaching out forward all the time. Using risers, the bars are pulled back and up into a much more comfortable position. I think you can go about 2" without affecting the clutch or throttle cables. Any more than that and you may have to replace the cables with longer ones.

Tires. Factory tires are terrible. If you still have the OEM tires on it, replace them. Lots of great options depending on your needs.

Front turn signals hit the ground on a tip-over. I replaced mine with micro LED signals from R&G Racing. Many options out there in micro size.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
...Front turn signals hit the ground on a tip-over. I replaced mine with micro LED signals from R&G Racing. Many options out there in micro size.
Or just take the OEM signals apart, and remove the bits that break the panel in a drop. THESE:

IMG_0415 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Now if it falls the turn-sig rubber bits just move.

IMG_0416 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Works the same on my Gen 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you "set your sag" yet? I'm about 5'8", sag around 47 mm, and once my weight settles the suspension BOTH feet are 'on the ground'. NOT totally flat-foot, but CLOSE!
Ed ..... thanks for all help ...... what is "sag" ? Do you mean suspension settings/adjustments ???

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
MotoWerks lowering kit. Unless you're planning on riding rough rocky terrain where clearance is very important (which is not a good match with the Versys), just lower it. I recently lowered my 2015 and wish I'd done it 6 years ago!!! At 5'10" I was not flat-footing it, but with the 1.5 inch lowering it is a completely different experience. The handling is the same, but at a stop it does not have that tippy heavy feeling. On any uneven or loose surface I am now 100% confident, rather than always feeling like it might tip at any moment.

Also, Motowerks front peg lowering kit. After bruising a knee there was always some discomfort riding, but lowering the pegs cured it. If you find the riding position cramped at all, lower the pegs.

Sargent seat. Yes you can raise the front of the OEM seat, but that raises you up a little bit too. Sargent makes a low seat option. I have the regular and really like it. Super comfortable for long rides, and it doesn't make reaching the ground harder. There are several highly regarded brands of seat out there. I've only ever had the Sargent and really like it.

Shoodaben ECU flash. Just do it, unless you already have smooth throttle response all the time. If it is jerky, the flash fixes it. Several threads on this forum about it.

I have the Madstad windshield. It does a very good job. Adjusting the tilt does affect buffet. If you get an aftermarket seat you may want one size larger windshield than their website suggests. The Sargent seat sits up just a tad higher in the riding position, and I wish I'd gotten the next taller windshield.

Handlebar risers. I found the riding position a bit too bent over, feeling like I was reaching out forward all the time. Using risers, the bars are pulled back and up into a much more comfortable position. I think you can go about 2" without affecting the clutch or throttle cables. Any more than that and you may have to replace the cables with longer ones.

Tires. Factory tires are terrible. If you still have the OEM tires on it, replace them. Lots of great options depending on your needs.

Front turn signals hit the ground on a tip-over. I replaced mine with micro LED signals from R&G Racing. Many options out there in micro size.
Fly-Sig, I am waiting for the Madstad screen. I hope I will not regret it, as it is rather costly, but I like their innovative design. Based on your experience, at which angle you can reach minimum buffeting?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

I picked up my 2020 in April, and have put about 1500km on it. I received my Motowerk lowering pegs and 1.5" bar risers on Friday, and installed them yesterday. Took the bike out for about 200km today, and it's a huge improvement for me (I'm 6' w/32" inseam), especially for the reach to the bars. The lowering pegs helped with the leg room, but it wasn't as large an improvement as it was on my 2008 when I had it.

The bar risers are worth their weight in gold, and are easily the best addition to the bike so far.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Fly-Sig, I am waiting for the Madstad screen. I hope I will not regret it, as it is rather costly, but I like their innovative design. Based on your experience, at which angle you can reach minimum buffeting?
Close to the most vertical seems best.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Close to the most vertical seems best.
thank you! i am looking forward to experiment with this windshield. it is not that I have much complain about the MRA one, but i am always looking for better options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you! i am looking forward to experiment with this windshield. it is not that I have much complain about the MRA one, but i am always looking for better options.
Had the stock shield for a 5 hr ride .... it was just OK. Switched out for the MRA on my next tour .... certainly better than stock. Now awaiting the PUIG Touring screen for the next long ride. And next will be a seat improvement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up my 2020 in April, and have put about 1500km on it. I received my Motowerk lowering pegs and 1.5" bar risers on Friday, and installed them yesterday. Took the bike out for about 200km today, and it's a huge improvement for me (I'm 6' w/32" inseam), especially for the reach to the bars. The lowering pegs helped with the leg room, but it wasn't as large an improvement as it was on my 2008 when I had it.

The bar risers are worth their weight in gold, and are easily the best addition to the bike so far.
A quick question here . . . I have also been thinking about the lowering pegs and am about the same size as you. Did you find you needed to fiddle with the shifter and rear brake pedal positions, or where they still more or less ok after lowering the pegs?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
A quick question here . . . I have also been thinking about the lowering pegs and am about the same size as you. Did you find you needed to fiddle with the shifter and rear brake pedal positions, or where they still more or less ok after lowering the pegs?
Yes, I needed to adjust the shifter and brake pedal.

I have already adjusted the shifter slightly. I haven't adjusted the brake pedal yet, but will this weekend as it is just a bit too high. I did purchase the brake lever nut in case I need it, as it was cheaper to include it in the purchase given the cost of shipping up here to Canada.

If you do get the lowering blocks, hold a towel around the peg when you remove the circlip holding the peg in place. If you don't, that thing will take off like a rocket when it comes off. It took me about 10 minutes to find it in the garage. I didn't make that mistake with the second peg...the towel caught it quite nicely. The instructions warn about that, but it still surprised me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I needed to adjust the shifter and brake pedal.

I have already adjusted the shifter slightly. I haven't adjusted the brake pedal yet, but will this weekend as it is just a bit too high. I did purchase the brake lever nut in case I need it, as it was cheaper to include it in the purchase given the cost of shipping up here to Canada.

If you do get the lowering blocks, hold a towel around the peg when you remove the circlip holding the peg in place. If you don't, that thing will take off like a rocket when it comes off. It took me about 10 minutes to find it in the garage. I didn't make that mistake with the second peg...the towel caught it quite nicely. The instructions warn about that, but it still surprised me.
Thanks! Super helpful!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts