Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question for all you Canadians out there. I'm looking at buying a hlemt from Europe, but cannot find what the duty is on helmets. If I look at the Canadian Customs website it states that motorcycle parts are free of duty and there is no motorcycle helmet, just an other category with 8.5% duty.

Any of you imported one from over the pound? If so, what was the duty on it?

Before anyone ask, I'm looking at the Nolan N-103 that will not be imported into North America before year end according to the importer.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am not an expert but I took the time to read the documentation and I have a few pointers.

Duty depends of the country of origin, If it made in USA, it will have a different rate as made in Italy (Europe) or made in China

USA-Canada = Free trade, no duty

Italy(Europe)-Canada many items are free, some have some duty.

China-Canada regular duty

My guess is that a Motorcycle helmet would fall eighter in:

6506.10.90 Safety headgear (other) the rate would be 8.5% for China or free for Italy

6506.91.00 Safety headgear of plastic: the rate would be 9% for China or free for Italy

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/01-99/countries-pays-eng.pdf

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/01-99/ch65-eng.pdf

Also I check and the duty for motorcycle is 6.1% for China but free of charge for Europe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Duty can be rather random. I haven't imported a helmet, but I've bought a bunch of stuff from Europe, Asia, and the US. Sometimes you pay, sometimes you don't.

It doesn't seem to matter if it is shipped by an individual or a company. Despite what folks may say, random application of duties and GST appears to be the rule.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I tell people to never send me anything to my Canadian address unless it's mail. I got a $40 bill from Customs for a $35.00 photo album one time. I have all of my stuff sent to my US address and I import it myself during a border crossing. If you lived close enough I would help you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts