Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what the US laws are for importing bikes in from Canada. Normally it would never happen as the cost is always higher here, but I'm thinking in particular the Versys 1000 that a lot of people are interested in but can't buy in the States.
I know a lot of people in Canada buy bikes in the US and just involves a bit of paperwork and of course a few hundred dollars for the forms :mad:.
The 2012 V1000 here is $13999 suggested retail but one dealer has it on sale at $11999.
Just wondering if it would be a state by state law or national.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can say people USED to buy cars and bike down south of the border, but it aint happening anymore. With taxes, duty fees, paperwork fees, etc...it's just not worth it anymore, unless you're buying a 70000$ car and are saving 20000$ on it.

The other way around I don't know, if you're saving 2000$ might be worth it, but I'd check with customs first, as if you have one bad surprise it will be there. And if you do buy in Canada I think I've even seen the V1000 1212 for 11300$.
http://www.lespac.com/vehicules/motos/plessisville/d-versys-1000-LPaZZ26123428WWcpZZ175WWgrZZ12

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Federal law governs international trade you have to clear that first then you gave to deal with state registration requirements. Although the 2013 versys 1000 passed epa certification I do not know if previous models are also certified. There are lots of rumors about kawa bringing the v1k over to the us for the 2013 model year. Kawa already certified it eith epa for 49 states. Everyone is expecting the announcements to the dealers on oct 2 to see if its coming or not. The 11,300 price dound tempting but the duties and taxes might kill the deal. I would wait a couple of weeks before considering importing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Versys 1000 is going on sale I believe as a 2013 model in the US. They have already sought and gained EPA approval for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oct. 2nd Kawi is planning a big announcement regarding the 1000, someone posted a link to info on the ADV Rider forum.

·
Super Moderator
18,952 Posts
I can say people USED to buy cars and bike down south of the border, but it aint happening anymore. With taxes, duty fees, paperwork fees, etc...it's just not worth it anymore, unless you're buying a 70000$ car and are saving 20000$ on it....
Happened for ME in April 2011. By the time my '09 V was imported, cleared, passed by Canadian Tire, then registered, my TOTAL cost was on the order of $5400.
:yeahsmile:

Made it WORTHWHILE in my opinion....
:clap:

·
Super Moderator
18,952 Posts
You pay a 'fee' at the Border to have your vehicle checked for compliance at Canadian Tire. The fee is on the order of $220 give-or-take. On the Versys, all they did was look at the VIN to check the serial number.
:confused:

THEN they sent me a letter that the trailer I'd brought it back on (bought at Harbor Freight Tools for less than $200, then put together by me), which had been declared (Customs officer said I didn't have to do anything more), ran into a problem when I tried to 'plate' it in Alberta. :censored:

End result was I paid the SAME $220 or so, and the Canadian Tire guy looked at the trailer, scratched his head, then compared the VIN number and stamped the form. The co$t of the form EXCEEDED the cost of the trailer kit....
:mad:

Only in Canada you say... pity!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Trying to bring a car into the States can be a major headache. Use to be all you need was the title. Now all the glass, tires, brake line even the light bulbs must be DOT approved everything that says DOT on a car for sale in the USA has to say DOT on your "Import". And lets not even go to what the EPA wants.

Plus remember you'll have no warranty unless you haul it back to Canada.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You pay a 'fee' at the Border to have your vehicle checked for compliance at Canadian Tire. The fee is on the order of $220 give-or-take. On the Versys, all they did was look at the VIN to check the serial number.
:confused:

THEN they sent me a letter that the trailer I'd brought it back on (bought at Harbor Freight Tools for less than $200, then put together by me), which had been declared (Customs officer said I didn't have to do anything more), ran into a problem when I tried to 'plate' it in Alberta. :censored:

End result was I paid the SAME $220 or so, and the Canadian Tire guy looked at the trailer, scratched his head, then compared the VIN number and stamped the form. The co$t of the form EXCEEDED the cost of the trailer kit....
:mad:

Only in Canada you say... pity!
Good info

Thank's FastEddieC

LOP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts