Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm refreshing some routine items for the riding season, one of which is the cooling system. So far I've drained the coolant, removed the water pump cover, and the water pump impeller bolt, but I cannot get the impeller itself to budge.

This is all in "4-10 Cooling System" in the service manual. It says to remove the water pump impeller bolt, and then all it offers is "Remove: Impeller Water Pump Housing [C]". But how the heck is it actually removed?! Is it threaded? Is it just stuck to the spindle? I've tried heat, I've tried a rubber mallet, I've attempted unscrewing it. Nothing. Won't budge.

The water pump housing, which is being held in place by the impeller, I think, does move off of the engine block a milimeter or so, and the impeller moves with it, but the impeller will not separate from the water pump housing and/or spindle at all. What gives?

:feedback:

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you move this to the Technical threads, you'll likely get more responses.

I haven't removed the impeller on mine so I'm not much help

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, thanks guys. So it isn't threaded, it's just supposed to slide off, but in my case, as with yours, it's got some grime and residue holding it in place.

What tools did you use to eventually free it? I gave it a PB-blast bath this AM before work, and I'll take another crack at it this evening. I'm wondering if a strap wrench would fit around it....

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yes it slides straight out. Carefully and gradually pry it free to break the bond from the back of it, by tapping all along the edge of its outer face with rubber mallet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bent the impeller - oh well, it's 12 bucks, and at least it's off. I think I'll just replace the housing as well; I'd prefer to not do this job again for a while. Looks like both parts can be had for under $40 shipped.

It was 17°F this AM, so I wasn't going to ride anyway. Spring is just around the corner, right guys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's an '08 with 17,500mi. So far it's been extremely reliable. When I got it out of storage this year and fired it for the first time since mid-november, it started like it had been used an hour before!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taking the waterpump apart is not routine maintenance.
call it preventive maintenance then.... it did have just a tiny bit of coolant drip from the weep hole, so it needed to be done soon enough anyway, and better now than in the heart of riding season.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
So it had 6.5 years for the impeller to be stuck on from built up oxidation. I got to mine early when I replaced my coolant after about 3 years when it was due, and my impeller slipped right out... I also removed flaking black paint overspray behind water pump and thermostat. Cleaned and greased seals. Grease cover seal before reinstalling as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts