Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the Pirelli Angels and the Michelin Pr2's. I'm not trying to start another tire thread or a riot I swear! :stickpoke: I haven't been able to find any good comparisons of the two, so just wondering if anyone has ridden both. I'm 100% on-road, mostly year round commuting so I'm looking for a good all season wet/dry combo that will last a while. I was leaning towards the Pr2's until my mechanic recommended the Angel's above them. You, friends- are the tiebreaker! :feedback:

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
I came close to ordering the Angels but went with PR 3's after reading where the life of the Angels are not close to the Michelins.

·
Premium Member
7,811 Posts
BT 023-Bridgestone, good for long lasting tires.

Have been a Bridgestone guy all the way and BT 016 is good but more toward soft and doest not last, but BT 023 is worth the dollars i paid for. 12K km and still good for another 10K Km.

Just my 2 cts thoughts.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
720 Posts
This is a perfect query for me! Used the PR2 and then Angel ST. My verdict :

PR2
Pro : great mileage. I got almost 17k km out of it accelerating and braking hard.
Con : not very grippy. On hard braking it would skid and slide. A tad jumpy i would say, although there are possibility that air pressure and suspension is the culprit.

Angel ST
Pro : better grip than pr2, somehow that tyre is very "lean-inviting". Turns left and right with less effort compared to pr2
Con: that tyre last me less than 12k km.

If you're a daily commuter, go for PR2. If you're weekend canyon carver, the Angel. But of course there are better tyres out there for this purpose.

My current tyre : i'm experimenting with different tyre makes front and back. Front bridgestone s20r, rear michelin PR3.

Sure this goes against safety advices that both tyres should be of the same makes in order for the tyres to function as designed, but this is a risk i take personally, because i can never get both tyres to wear out equally. The front will wear out first and by the time the rear needs replacement, it is a waste to change out the front along. If i keep insisting the same makes, i would not be able to experience new pair of different brands.

Since i brake hard, i used a sport tyre that gives better grips (at the expense of less mileage), and as the rear is used for weight bearing and acceleration, i figured a touring tyre would last out a little while longer. Only using this pair at 1k+ km, but so far so good.

·
Registered
559 Posts
PR2s not grippy??? what?? Watch videos of people doing track days on them...they certainly don't lack grip weither it's hot cold or rainy!

Here's a comparison:
http://www.moto-station.com/article15473-comparatif-pr3-z8-mo-roadsmart-2-bt23-contiroadattack-2-angel-st-voici-le-meilleur-pneu-moto-routier-.html#.UUxnWlfotvC

IN french but you can use google translate for the page.

I always tend to buy PR2s (they are really awesome in every department) but I might try out the Metz Z8 on my next set just to compare...

I read a few not so great things about the Angels, that they weren't up to what they were supposed to be...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I was totally expecting to get yelled at for starting another tire thread! After doing some more research and reading your excellent replies, I think I've decided to go with the PR2's. Looks like Revzilla has a good price on them, and I have some "revzilla bucks" to spend anyhow...

:thanx:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had the PR2's. Got about 9500 miles on the rear, a little squared off, but not to the wear bars. Just put a PR3 on the rear. Loving it so far (~200 miles).

The Michelin's are great tires for me. Mostly city/short freeway commutes, weekend twisties. I'm no knee dragger and not looking to be.

·
Registered
720 Posts
PR2s not grippy??? what?? Watch videos of people doing track days on them...they certainly don't lack grip weither it's hot cold or rainy!
YMMV.

It seems to be that way when i was using it. On the same suspension setting and air pressure, the Angel didnt skid the way the PR2 did to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
My angels after 8000kms

The old rear angel and the new BT 023, im the 2nd 023 rear on both my bikes, versys 650 and ninja 1000, the angel nearly split it half on me as it was paper thin in the middle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kiwi that's some weird wear you got on your rear! My Angel ST's wore down but never looked anything like that :(

I've also used the PR2's and have to agree with Andre.... Grip wise the Angels win, Mileage wise the Michelins win... However i'd seriously look into the Metzler Z8's, supposed to be awesome grip and sweet mileage... will be what I replace my Angels with.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Kiwi that's some weird wear you got on your rear! My Angel ST's wore down but never looked anything like that :(

One of the members on this forum also had a issue with a rear angel like mine and he lives in the states, motopycho or somthing like that was his handle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Between the Pirelli Angels and the Michelin Pr2's. I'm not trying to start another tire thread or a riot I swear! :stickpoke: I haven't been able to find any good comparisons of the two, so just wondering if anyone has ridden both. I'm 100% on-road, mostly year round commuting so I'm looking for a good all season wet/dry combo that will last a while. I was leaning towards the Pr2's until my mechanic recommended the Angel's above them. You, friends- are the tiebreaker! :feedback:
Not judging, just wondering why the PR3's weren't in consideration? :cheers:

·
Registered
720 Posts
One of the members on this forum also had a issue with a rear angel like mine and he lives in the states, motopycho or somthing like that was his handle.
I had the same issue with the angel rear tyre, but was told that it was due to incorrect tyre air pressure. I have been maintaining it at 36psi as per our versys manual, but after some reading i understood that for the rear tyre angel, i should have kept it at 38psi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts