1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oooohh... the Teamsters are gonna love this...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still requires a driver. I was watching a news show on this and the mfg likened it to autopilot for airline pilots.
Yeah, BUT how long before they are in back sleeping? ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I guess eventually it will make the roads a safer place, but in the meantime :eek:

As a software guy I shudder at the thought of writing the code for that. One mistake and people die. Think I'll stick to more mundane projects.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yeah, BUT how long before they are in back sleeping? ;)
If its anything like my lawn tractor, it will die when the fat ass is removed from the seat. Guess that's why Gawd made cement blocks...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not much any more. Only private Or charter after the TSA Nazis showed up at the airports I swore it off. I'll not give up my right for the dubious honor of climbing in an overgrown tin can and being packed in like sardines for the service they off now.

I'd rather RIDE there.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Still requires a driver. I was watching a news show on this and the mfg likened it to autopilot for airline pilots.
Oh yah...? The last airplane I flew was the Airbus A-340, which had THREE autopilots, and used TWO during an autoland. ANY of the three autopilots was VERY expensive, and a/c operate where there SHOULDN'T be conflicts (routing, altitudes, etc), but they STILL occur, USUALLY w/ devastating consequences!

I guess you don't fly?
The problem w/ "autonomous" cars and trucks will ALWAYS be the mix of traffic and vehicles. The ONLY 'possible' way for it to work would be to have roads that ONLY allowed those types of vehicles, and even THAT isn't foolproof - ever heard of someone going wrong-way on an interstate...? - OR requiring EVERY vehicle to be autonomous! (Imagine the outcry when the gov't tells everyone to buy a new vehicle....)

:badidea:

·
Registered
145 Posts
ever heard of someone going wrong-way on an interstate...?
I actually saw this one night on the way home from work. its a 4 lane road, 2 in each direction separated by a big grassy center. a car was coming at us in out lane, must have thought the two lane road was a two-way road.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I guess you don't fly?

No, I don't fly. If I'm going to go through the air I will take an airplane.
I guess that's my mistake. I don't remember airplanes being the main topic. I thought we were talking about vehicles on the highways on the ground.
By the way, according to ABC news, of the 50 computer-driven vehicles on California highways four have already been involved in accidents. If you think that is good odds then go for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Kewl. Is it more nimble than a Versys? I heard it was a brick!
IF you mean "brick" as in having four cylinders..., I guess a turbo-jet engine IS a cylinder, so YES - the 340 was a brick.... :cool:...

A LOT more nimble at 35,000', 500 knots, and 30 degrees west (over the Atlantic).

Yah - there was a blurb on the Canadian news about one of the Google cars being in an accident in Cali....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You think you're driving your own car, when you're really not directly... With drive-by-wire throttle, steering, etc, computer is always second guessing your control inputs, and making final decisions on its own.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If I'm going to go through the air I will take an airplane.
As we've been discussing, plenty of those use autopilots too. Look at an air traffic map sometime. Lots of those buggers flying around in close proximity to one another too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts