Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Any suggestion on a quiet helmet. Mine is so noisy that I need to wear earplugs at all time.

Riding season is about to start in few months and it is my very next pruchase.

need some recommandations

thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Haven't had alot of helmets tbh, but my HJC IS-16 is ALOT quieter than my old Vega was... i hear schuberth makes the quietest but they're also the best at leaving your wallet empty from what i saw :D

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
BMW riders mentioned BMW Evo/System 5 helmets are quiet but I think it's not sold in the States.

Schuberth C3 is rated high as quiet.
http://www.schuberthnorthamerica.com/us/products/motorcycle/c3.html

Would say everyone would experience differently as our different height/head shapes etc. Recommend a good set of ear plug to isolate the noise. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Here are two things to consider regarding helmet noise:

1. Where the windblast hits your helmet greatly affects noise. Adjusting your windshield can make a significant difference.

2. Earplugs go a long way to reducing fatigue...maybe what you need is some earplugs that fit comfortably so you don't mind wearing them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I don't think there is such thing as quiet helmet.
Better designed and luxurious helmets will seal better and fit better.

I use Schuberth S1 witch is considered one of the quieter helmets but there is nothing quiet about it at +120km/h.
I use foam earplugs all the time. Did you try custom made ones? They fit better and are easier to put in and out.

If you want the best seal, your best choice is integral helmet with least openings/vents. Chin piece also helps. Some brands have it as standard and some offer it as an accessory.

If you like Schuberth helmets, there is a new model (succeeding the S1) coming out in a few weeks. Either it will be significantly better or you'll find the old model at discount price.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi Any suggestion on a quiet helmet. Mine is so noisy that I need to wear earplugs at all time.

Riding season is about to start in few months and it is my very next pruchase.

need some recommandations

thanks
I've found the better a helmet vents the noisier it is. That said you may also need to adjust your visor so it does not leak air and install a chin skirt on your helmet. I always wear ear plugs on the highway anyway as there is no way around this. If you have a Scorpion 400 or 700 they make an optional $8 chin skirt that makes them a lot quieter. IMO helmet fit and weight are a lot more important comfort issues.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yeah, nothing wrong with upgrading the lid, but earplugs that work for you are sure worth having. Besides, the quietest helmet will not make the "buzz" go away!

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a Shoei RF1000 that is pretty quiet (I always wear ear plugs too).

Several people that have switched from an RF1000 to the newer RF1100 have commented that it vents better and is even more quiet than the RF1000.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I didn't know that I had a "noisy" helmet until I got on a naked bike.
I spent the last 20+ years behind a windjammer fairing basicly sitting in a dead air space. (79 kz650 & 79 gl1000)

steve

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
What can quiet down wind/road noise is a good ipod with some good sounds thumping through your brain but its effect on me is an increase in speed :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
when I got the wing the first thing to go was the radio
tried riding with the Ipod and that only lasted about 10 minutes
the ONLY place I don't have music is on the bike
for some reason I feel isolated from my surroundings
no passengers, no music, just want to ride

steve

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
when I got the wing the first thing to go was the radio
tried riding with the Ipod and that only lasted about 10 minutes
the ONLY place I don't have music is on the bike
for some reason I feel isolated from my surroundings
no passengers, no music, just want to ride

steve
I'm with Steve - doesn't anyone else just sing into their helmet as they ride along? :huh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts