Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well V Nation I'm about to get back into gear and this forum. Been a long time! Blows me away at how big this place has become. I've had a lot of change last few years, relocated to North La. for work 3 years ago, sold all my bikes to help get here but that's about to change. Should take delivery on a 2016 V650 ABS in the black Tuesday or Wednesday. Look forward to V talk and just being an active member again. Members I remember from way back when I came on board Sharisson56, Invader, BearonaBike, twowheeladdict, just to name a few. Anyway good to be back, I'll post pics of the new girl this week sometime. Oh BTW, any riders close to West Monroe? I've been cage scouting some awesome roads around here.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. AlaskaJeff, I've never ridden up there but spent plenty time all over the state while working the North Slope in the early 90's. Spent a few weeks in Kotzebue on special assignment and used to drive up Eagle river way while on 3-4 day hold overs in Anchorage.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Welcome back, and GLAD things are working out for you.

BTW - LOVE my Gen 3 650LT!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HaHa rub it in! Dealer said Tues or Wed so I'm anticipation central right now. I guess even more seeing I had an 08' that was well seasoned when I sold her. With all the refinements I'm ready to roll and what a face job!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Looks like my bike will be taking a tour of the US before I even get it. With the way the main shipping line works out of the Cali warehouse, it goes to Denver first, then Dallas, passes within 20 miles of here then to Atlanta. It then gets in the local area carrier truck to my dealer in Bastrop. Oh well I've waited this long. I think there was a thread about great deals on hold over model year Versys but at the dealership they have a new 2015 Green/Black 650 for like $5789 for what it's worth. Maybe next week I can finally properly celebrate my 50th, Kawi's 50th and it's my dealership's 50th this year also!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright! guess I'll join in now on all this new ownership happening. Picked up my bike Friday morning, left out and it wasn't 5 miles and all the comments from previous Gen1 owners were becoming reality. Put 70 miles on Friday and loved it! IMO way smoother all around, brakes were much improved, feel and power with good tight draw on the front lever. The short while I was on the interstate it felt more aero stable when behind or passing. The ergos feel even better than before. The suspension and handling were a noticeable improvement, I'll be able to get better feel for adjustment as I log some more miles on oh girl.I'm really digging this bike. Rode some Saturday morning and got to work installing my aux lights. Taking apart was pretty straight forward after reading a couple members post on what to look for. The tank did not lift up as far as my 08' did, got fuel pump and line disconnected and started looking at the fuel line. On the other end at the 'U' bend, the line did not look engaged on the barb halfway. I got it push the rest of the way, now hose is higher giving just a little more clearance to disconnect. Putting the tank back on that proved true. I used a prefabbed harness with the relay, switch, leads and power connection all loomed together ready to install. The mounting method location I chose was on the lower fairing mount. The method I used was about the same setup Charlie did. I found some spacers and bolts left from other light kits I've done, it was a no brainer. All turned out well and I'm very impressed with these lights, for how the are built and the good connectors they used, I felt like I got great deal. The one pic shows the connector resting location inside the fairing. Left a lil slack loop to disconnect and remove easily. I also saw all the factory pre-wired acc. plugs, I'll use them in the future. Attached are various pics from Friday and my light mod. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm pretty pumped about this bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Welcome back! Now you have me wondering if I should trade my '08 in...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave!! I would say if your finances are in order and you have that itch.....by all means scratch it! I know getting a new bike is exciting and the post by new owners can sometimes seem 'to good to be true' (guess that's the right way to put it), but all new bike and Gen3 V650 euphoria aside. I can be serious for a moment and say yes, the Gen3 has some nice refinements. It is smoother, the new styling suits my taste, I can actually see an image in the mirrors at speed, the factory provisions in the harness for accessories and the suspension upgrades are noticeable just to name a few. These are just my observations and not meant to convince anyone. On a kind of related note, I've been on several bike specific forums over the years and can say the amount of zeal, excitement and passion for this bike I've not seen on others. Not saying there is not any of that, just not at the level I've observed / participated in here. To me seeing that coming from a group of riders that for the most part have been on two wheels for 35 years (myself) or more, speaks for itself about this bike. Okay I'm way out in the swamp now, later y'all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts