Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My last visit to this site was "09-05-2010 at 07:14 AM" according to the system.

Due to some life things, I sold my 2009 Versys in 2010 and took a few years off from riding. As I got ready to get a bike again, I got it in my head that I was more of a "cruiser guy." So I now have a 6 month old 2015 HD Road King with 1300 miles on it. It's a beautiful bike that does what it does very well! Looks shiny and cruises slow and loud. I enjoy it.

But I can't get the memories of my Versys out of my head! I keep wanting to explore fire trails and get out in the woods!

What should I do?

The Road King was $22000. I still owe $19000 on it and the payment is $340 per month. A dealership told me today the trade in value is "$14500."

I imaging you guys know more about buying and selling bikes than me.

What are my options here?

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
HOLY CRAP that is some serious depreciation!!!

In 6 months you have lost the value of a new V....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HOLY CRAP that is some serious depreciation!!!

In 6 months you have lost the value of a new V....
I know! Can you believe that! I'm not sure he is giving me a good price though. Still! I'm seriously considering taking the loss and getting a bike that is affordable and reliable.

I notice the 2014 V is only $4999 at Power Yamaha in Sublimity, Oregon! I could ship it sight unseen!

BTW, that same dealer wants $6500 for a 2014 used V with 4000 miles!

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Gear up from head to foot and take a tight corner where someone has laid some oil down. Take the insurance money and get a Versys....>:)>:)

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Oh crap i just saw that you are in florida...No tight corners in the state....:grin2:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Extremely easy decision. Keep the harley And buy a cheap used dual sport like a dr 650 or Klr 650. That will allow you to fully utilize the investment in the Harley and then when it's paid off give you some equity for something different

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Dealer trade in always less than a private sale. Still new bikes like cars depreciate very fast and are usually a poor investment. You can purchase a lightly used Versys for ~$4K. There is also the option of purchasing a dedicated dirt bike, that will perform better than the Versys off road, for even less.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
You are in a tight spot- Keep the HD, after all a bike is a bike.

Wait and be patience , someone might come your way and take HD for a fair price, meanwhile enjoy your ride.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Extremely easy decision. Keep the harley And buy a cheap used dual sport like a dr 650 or Klr 650. That will allow you to fully utilize the investment in the Harley and then when it's paid off give you some equity for something different
:goodidea:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear guys. I will keep the Harley and wait for a chance to get a used Dual Sport. Best of both worlds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I say offer the Harley up for private sale at close to what you owe on it, while you keep it.

if it sells then great you get to get a new bike, if it doesn't sell... well you were going to keep it anyways.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Definitely keep the HD and try selling private party.
That bad boy NADA's at $19,000 and it has low miles on it so I wouldn't be surprised if you got close to that for it. WAYYYY better than trading it in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1
If you're $4500 upside down on the Harley, you could spend less than that on a used dual sport bike. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
+2.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You got all the good advice, just spread out from several posters, so to summarize:

Put the Harley up for private sale for what you owe. If it sells, great. If not, you still have a nice, new bike. Trade-ins never get top dollar.

Meanwhile, buy a cheap used dual-sport at end-of-season discounts. That also lets you keep the Harley in the garage in nasty weather, further limiting your depreciation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts