Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted Kawasaki USA to find out when they would be getting the red handguards, and the tinted Vario windscreen. They told me they have no intentions of bringing those accessories to the US.

So now I am forced to look to the aftermarket or pay double the price of the parts to ship from the UK. I fell for the Versys tourer on the UK website, and now I wonder if I will be able to create it or not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
While aftermart parts might not have the Kawi logo on them, the reality is there is nothing on the Versys Tourer that you can't buy elsewhere. There are several options for handguards and windshields out there. One of the great things about the V is that you can mold it to your needs and not be limited by using just mama Kawi's parts.

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1

Plus you will save significant coin and probably end up with better stuff.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
....that being said, e-mail a UK dealer and ask if they ship over-seas ( they most likely do), The factory pieces are about the same price as after-market and the shipping is really not all that heinous.
Google an up to date exchange rate calculator....ad in the shipping cost and the price is just about dead-on to buying aftermarket locally.
Just sayin'......CUZ, if you want the factory pieces then that's what you should get.
Been there, done that, ( and the only thing it will really cost you is a longer wait to get back to the states.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I contacted Kawasaki USA to find out when they would be getting the red handguards, and the tinted Vario windscreen. They told me they have no intentions of bringing those accessories to the US.

So now I am forced to look to the aftermarket or pay double the price of the parts to ship from the UK. I fell for the Versys tourer on the UK website, and now I wonder if I will be able to create it or not.
Twisted Throttle has the Vario and red handguards for Versys in it's 2011 catalogue. pg 14-15 for handguards and pg 42 for the Vario.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Twisted Throttle has the Vario and red handguards for Versys in it's 2011 catalogue. pg 14-15 for handguards and pg 42 for the Vario.
Thanks. And where to I get this catalogue? OK. I found a PDF version at the website.

UK dealer wants $170 US to ship.

You got my hopes up, but they are not the same. The twistedthrottle windscreen is the generic MRA Vario with brackets to make it fit the Versys. The handguards are a generic red color not the matching color.

Thanks for trying. I might have to take my wife on vacation to the UK so I can hand carry the parts back. LOL! I wish it was that simple. I know some of you are shaking your heads because it would cost more to vacation there than ship the parts, but part is the principle and part is that it would come from a different pot of money, and part would be that I would love to tour the UK.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Google an up to date exchange rate calculator....ad in the shipping cost and the price is just about dead-on to buying aftermarket locally.
Actually, just use google for exchange rates.

google for "120 gbp in usd", and you get pounds to $$$. € = eur
This also works for metric/imperial units (100 mph in kph), and you can do calculations "4+141+124-123*31" in the search field.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Versys handguards are just under £100 here in the UK. Taking into account he shouldn't be charging you the 20% tax, it works out at $130. Another $40 for shipping is probably about right factoring in bulk and weight.

I'd happily buy them for you, but it would work out even more expensive as I'd get charged the tax, so they'd come in at $163 before shipping.

Rock and a hard place ?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Versys handguards are just under £100 here in the UK. Taking into account he shouldn't be charging you the 20% tax, it works out at $130. Another $40 for shipping is probably about right factoring in bulk and weight.

I'd happily buy them for you, but it would work out even more expensive as I'd get charged the tax, so they'd come in at $163 before shipping.

Rock and a hard place ?
I appreciate the offer. They want $170 US to ship the handguard colored shells and winscreen. The purchase price for both would me about $200 US.

A friend of mine works for a company that has a presence in Ireland. We are trying to work out the logistics of sending the parts to a coworker and then I would have to wait until someone either travels or a shipment is made.

·
Registered
959 Posts
....that being said, e-mail a UK dealer and ask if they ship over-seas ( they most likely do), The factory pieces are about the same price as after-market and the shipping is really not all that heinous.
Just sayin'......CUZ, if you want the factory pieces then that's what you should get.
Been there, done that, ( and the only thing it will really cost you is a longer wait to get back to the states.)
if you do contact a UK dealer make certain they can ship net of the VAT (Sales Tax), that will save the extortionate 20%. not all places are set up to do so.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Acerbis dual road hand gaurds are cheaper. can be lighted and are nicer looking anyway ... imho

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$170 just for the shipping?! Good grief. Try Cornwall Kawasaki, they have a very good reputation amongst owners on the UK site.
I will do that. Thanks. I looked at what it would cost to fly out there for a week and hinted around to my wife for our next anniversary trip. She just gave me this knowing look. It is tough being a two wheeled addict sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts