Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again folks, Quick Question here. I only got one set of keys for the bike. There is no key code or number on the key. Do i need a blank key from the dealer? Do i go directly to Kawasaki? I'd like to have a key on the bkie and a spare. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Gen3 650
160 Posts
You can buy the blank keys from a dealer and take them to a locksmith to get them cut. Hardware stores won't cut 'em anymore, but a dedicated locksmith will.

The dealer didn't have the spare or the key code for my bike when I bought it, so I had them provide two key blanks for me. Took them to a local locksmith and he cut them both for $5/ea. The 202 doesn't have an immobilizer, so there was no "programming" that needed to be done. The 2022+ may be different

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
Hi again folks, Quick Question here. I only got one set of keys for the bike. There is no key code or number on the key. Do i need a blank key from the dealer? Do i go directly to Kawasaki? I'd like to have a key on the bkie and a spare. Thanks

If your's has a K-12 ignition you can get this off of ebay where i got mine. Our local water/video store also cuts keys so i had him cut mine. He also had the blank i brought to him in stock..

"KM-12 Ignition" = JET KA34 keyblank. Just look at your ignition switch if it says KM-12. This key blank will fit. Bought some for my 2016 V-1000. Worked in the ignition and luggage.. 1 ILCO Replacement Uncut Key Blank for Kawasaki Motorcycle X279 KA34 (1 KEY) | eBay Also another ad on eBay for 10 key blanks for $18.99

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a locksmith make a couple for me. Wasn't a big deal. I brought him some blanks I bought on Amazon that said they would work on my 2009 Versy. HE didn't think they would work as they were slightly longer, so he used a couple blanks he provided. They work great. Think it was $12 each if I remember correctly. They work a lot smoother than the original key he cut them from. I think the original had gotten slightly twisted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your's has a K-12 ignition you can get this off of ebay where i got mine. Our local water/video store also cuts keys so i had him cut mine. He also had the blank i brought to him in stock..

"KM-12 Ignition" = JET KA34 keyblank. Just look at your ignition switch if it says KM-12. This key blank will fit. Bought some for my 2016 V-1000. Worked in the ignition and luggage.. 1 ILCO Replacement Uncut Key Blank for Kawasaki Motorcycle X279 KA34 (1 KEY) | eBay Also another ad on eBay for 10 key blanks for $18.99
Thanks for that tip. I will check the ignition tomorrow

·
Registered
2013 v650
418 Posts
My locksmith told me the ones I got off Amazon wouldn't work for the ignition. Although they were long the area that is cut to allow it in the lock was too short. The V ignition key has to go deeper into the assembly to work. They did work for the tank and seat. They also worked on my 82 gpz550.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
61 Posts
I just had some keys cut for my two motorcycles. From what I learned, you've got 3 paths for the blanks
  1. The OEM Kawasaki blank for my 2019 Versys 650 was ~$20 and could be purchased from any Kawi parts supplier or Amazon.
  2. Amazon also sells non-OEM blanks with plastic handles and the Kawi logo that ran ~$10 for 3 (so does eBay)
  3. Locksmith blanks are generic, flat and metal (no plastic handle or Kawi logo) and run ~$1.60 each + about $6 shipping. The locksmiths near me didn't have any in stock so I bought 3 Ilco blanks from this company (2 for keys + one for a spare as insurance in case a cut was bad) Wholesale Locksmith Supplies & Tools, Key Fobs, Key Cutting Machines
I first went to Ace Hardware. They had a blank for my Honda, but not the Kawi. MC keys are dual sided with mirrored cuts that need to match. They have to be hand cut (the newer automated key cutting machines generally don't include MC keys in their programs). The hardware store workers no longer have this skill, if they even still have an old manual machine in the back to make the cut. The Honda key that Ace cut was visibly uneven and didn't work smoothly. After getting my Ilco blanks for the Kawi, I went to a locksmith to have them cut and also picked up another Honda key since he had a couple Honda blanks. The locksmith cuts were near perfect. With hindsight, I strongly recommend going directly to a locksmith, not a hardware store to have them cut. With luck, they'll have the blanks too, otherwise you can order them.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT + various accessories
61 Posts
Here's some info on the blanks

You can find the Kawasaki part # for your key blank by going to a parts site, entering the year and make of your bike and looking under "Ignition Switch". Here's a link. Kawasaki Motorcycle OEM Parts, Babbitts Kawasaki Parts House

From what I see:
The Generation 1 and 2 Versys 650s (2007 - 09 and 2010 - 14) use Kawasaki Key Blank part # 27008-0618. Based on a few google searches, this looks like a KA33 / X278 aftermarket key blank. Please verify yourself.

The Gen 3 Versys 650 (2015 - 2021) uses Kawasaki Key Blank part # 27008-0596. I know this is aftermarket key blank KA34 / X279 (because I bought the blank and had it cut for my 2019)

The Gen 4 Versys 650 (2022 - ) uses Kawasaki Key Blank part # 27008-0688, which is a sidewinder / laser-cut key. (You're on your own here)

The KA or X number is the key code a locksmith will want to match a blank to the key and is what you'll need if you buy a generic blank.

BTW - The other week I rode to an event a couple hours from home. When I mounted my bike to leave, my key was bent 45 degrees over. In hind-sight, I had parked on grass using a kickstand plate I keep in my left pannier. I think I leaned into the key while it was in the pannier lock when bracing the bike to remove the kickstand plate. Anyway, I was lucky in that I was able to carefully bend it back without breaking it (the metal is softer than it looks). Otherwise, I would have had to call my wife and ask her to drive almost 4 hours round-trip to bring me my spare. I immediately got a couple spares cut and leave them permanently in the key pocket of my two jackets.

Good luck all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just had some keys cut for my two motorcycles. From what I learned, you've got 3 paths for the blanks
  1. The OEM Kawasaki blank for my 2019 Versys 650 was ~$20 and could be purchased from any Kawi parts supplier or Amazon.
  2. Amazon also sells non-OEM blanks with plastic handles and the Kawi logo that ran ~$10 for 3 (so does eBay)
  3. Locksmith blanks are generic, flat and metal (no plastic handle or Kawi logo) and run ~$1.60 each + about $6 shipping. The locksmiths near me didn't have any in stock so I bought 3 Ilco blanks from this company (2 for keys + one for a spare as insurance in case a cut was bad) Wholesale Locksmith Supplies & Tools, Key Fobs, Key Cutting Machines
I first went to Ace Hardware. They had a blank for my Honda, but not the Kawi. MC keys are dual sided with mirrored cuts that need to match. They have to be hand cut (the newer automated key cutting machines generally don't include MC keys in their programs). The hardware store workers no longer have this skill, if they even still have an old manual machine in the back to make the cut. The Honda key that Ace cut was visibly uneven and didn't work smoothly. After getting my Ilco blanks for the Kawi, I went to a locksmith to have them cut and also picked up another Honda key since he had a couple Honda blanks. The locksmith cuts were near perfect. With hindsight, I strongly recommend going directly to a locksmith, not a hardware store to have them cut. With luck, they'll have the blanks too, otherwise you can order them.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
thanks for the tip. our local harware store is also a locksmith. They did good on my for truck and goldwing from several years ago

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excuse the late reply, I've been away for 3 weeks. The drawing is from the Kawasaki service manual for the gen 1. My V is the first model made in 2007. View attachment 191423
That’s for the reply. I fully understand. Sometimes I go AWOL myself LoL

you say you have a Gen 1. Great. I have a question. I was riding the V about 2 weeks ago Cruising at 55 in 5th when it sudden died. Pull off the road. Turned the key off. Then on and it fired right up. Rode another 5 miles and it did it again. And again. All the way back home. Bike is 09 with 4100 miles on it. I had a lot of suggestions to what it might be. BeingI’m not familiar with this bike I took it to the shop. Mechanic says fuel pump is not holding pressure. We’ll see. Hopehe is right. Ever have a fuel pump problem? Thaanks

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
FWIW - I have a Gen 1 ('08) w/ 102,xxx MILES on it, and I've not had a problem like yours.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FWIW - I have a Gen 1 ('08) w/ 102,xxx MILES on it, and I've not had a problem like yours.
Bike is 09. 1st owner put 2900 miles on it. 2nd owner put 1100 miles on it. I put 300 miles on it since I got it before it started doing his, about 2 weeks time. The mechanic I took it to says the ethanol sitting on the tank for all those years are up seals in fuel pump and will not maintain proper pressure. With 102k on you bike gas doesn’t sit long enough to do any damage. Or so it stands to reason. But 102k on a V is great encouragement anxious to get it back and put some miles on it….

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bike is 09. 1st owner put 2900 miles on it. 2nd owner put 1100 miles on it. I put 300 miles on it since I got it before it started doing his, about 2 weeks time. The mechanic I took it to says the ethanol sitting on the tank for all those years are up seals in fuel pump and will not maintain proper pressure. With 102k on you bike gas doesn’t sit long enough to do any damage. Or so it stands to reason. But 102k on a V is great encouragement anxious to get it back and put some miles on it….
I still got RSV and KLR and my wife’s bonneville to ride I I’m really liken this V.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts