Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Invader's posts about advancing his ign 5 degrees, I thought I'd give it a whirl, but I'm Invader-lite when it comes to engine mods...he removes his sub-throttle plates, I trim them. He replaces his airbox snorkels with bigger tubes, I just trim 15mm off the length, he advances his ign 5 degrees, I went with 3 degrees, as I want to be able to run regular gas.
The ign trigger wheel is 2.710 dia., so then 8.513 circumference, so .0236 per degree. The locating pin is 4mm dia, so I found a suitable dremel bit and started grinding away on the slot. If you do this, be very careful, you can easily grind away too much. Grind and check, etc. I got to about .072 of forward movement on the trigger and stopped grinding, which is 3-ish degrees.
I also noted that dynojet has 0 advance on their maps until 4750 rpm when it bumps to 4 degrees, then at 7250 to 6 degrees; this is at WOT. I started it up and lowered the idle to 1300, checked the tps voltage (you wouldn't believe how easy it is with a PCV) which was still in range but slightly lower and rode off.
Results are inconclusive, as my seat of the pants dyno is not that sensitive. It feels smoother and stronger, but that could be the grass-fed pastrami working.
I took it on the freeway, uphill, and WOT'd from 4k to listen for any pinging. There was none, at least the kind you can hear, so that's a plus.
So if you like tinkering, go for it, you probably won't hurt anything. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That's on 87 pump octane (91 RON)? What elevation are you at? (I'm at 750')
I had gone back with my stock airbox snorkels which are quieter than the oversized ones, and seem to provide better air velocity for more low end power.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, 87 octane, at 50 ft. above sea level. I can understand not wanting to give up any low-end and mid-range, that's what rocks about this bike, IMO.

That's on 87 pump octane (91 RON)? What elevation are you at? (I'm at 750')
I had gone back with my stock airbox snorkels which are quieter than the oversized ones, and seem to provide better air velocity for more low end power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts