Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to the Osram 65W bulbs, you might want to check your headlight reflector.

The silver coating is wrinkling in my reflector around the bulb socket.

This started after I upgraded my bulbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Your reflector which is the mirror dome behind the bulb is fine. It's just the bulb shield in front of the bulb that's now closer to Osram's hyper clear 65W larger H9 burner on H7 base. I've had 65W Osram's for a while and the cone only turned a bit golden in color. Many use them are are very happy with the improved lighting with a lifespan as long as regular standard H7 bulbs (500 hrs). Some have actually removed the bulb shield for a brighter low beam.

"The bulb shield generally functions to prevent light from striking areas of the headlamp reflector that are not optically active so that stray reflections (glare light) is prevented from being directed towards unintended or dark areas of the prescribed beam pattern. Bulb shields typically include a cup portion that is disposed generally in front of the headlamp bulb, and a portion that extends from the cup portion and mounts to the reflector or some other proximate structure. The cup portion of the bulb shield is usually relatively sharply concave, thereby blocking light from the bulb that has not first struck an optically active portion of the reflector. The bulb shield, (when employed) provides a shuttering or masking effect that prevents unwanted visible light rays from reaching unintended (decorative) reflective surfaces and being reflected in an uncontrolled manner ("Glare"). The overall distribution of visible light from a headlamp is heavily prescribed by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) in FMVSS 108 and it is often impossible to meet these requirements without a carefully designed bulb shield in place."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Invader,
take a look at my pics, it's not the bulb shield I'm talking about, it is the reflector around the bulb opening.

I'm really surprised that an extra 10 watts would cause that. I've upgraded bulbs on other bikes with no problems.

I came home from a ride today, it was about 69F and felt the top of the lens. It was warmer than I expected.

All in all, I'm still happy with the bulb. I'll watch to see if it further deteriorates, and if so replace the reflector.
I may just have a defective one.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That makes Osram's new motorcycle specific H7 55W bulbs even more interesting:

Interesting motorcycle intended bulbs with particularly compact filament (more resistant to vibration and shock?) producing up to 90% more light on the road and an up to 35 metres longer light beam, with standard street legal 55W output.

Available for $49.99 per pair: http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/OSRAM-Night-Racer-H7-p/osr-nr-h7.htm

http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/OSRAM-X-Racer-H7-p/osr-xr-h7.htm

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have been using the Osram 65W Hyper bulb since January and there is some crinkling going on in there.
It doesn't worry me that much though, I don't expect it to continue propagating, but people considering using this bulb should know about this phenomenon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts