Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
I ordered a windscreen extender via Ali Express. The website said that the screen for the Versys-X 300 was the "Big 1" (the distance between the mounting points is 275 mm). I made the mistake of not measuring my Versy-X 300 stock windscreen. If I had, I would have known that the "Big 1 " is way too wide. I should have ordered the "Small 1" that has a distance between the mounting points of 215 mm.

I had to really force the "Big 1" screen mounts inwards to attach it to the stock windscreen. It really was way too wide.
Good news: The windscreen extender does help reduce turbulence around my helmet
Bad news: I found cracking on the stock windscreen under the starboard mount of the "Big 1".

Solution: Order a "Small 1" screen extender.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
Hello Guys,
I ordered a windscreen extender via Ali Express. The website said that the screen for the Versys-X 300 was the "Big 1" (the distance between the mounting points is 275 mm). I made the mistake of not measuring my Versy-X 300 stock windscreen. If I had, I would have known that the "Big 1 " is way too wide. I should have ordered the "Small 1" that has a distance between the mounting points of 215 mm.

I had to really force the "Big 1" screen mounts inwards to attach it to the stock windscreen. It really was way too wide.
Good news: The windscreen extender does help reduce turbulence around my helmet
Bad news: I found cracking on the stock windscreen under the starboard mount of the "Big 1".

Solution: Order a "Small 1" screen extender.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Pics please, this is mine...
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think this is more what is being referred to, an additional screen that clips to the top to deflect the air, or break the air flow somewhat.
19.18US $ 30% OFF|For KAWASAKI Versys X 250/300 Versys 650 Versys 1000 Motorcycle windshield extension bracket Adjustable Windscreen| | - AliExpress
Yes. That's what I ordered from Ali Express. (An additional screen that clips to the top to deflect the air.)
The mistake I made was to trust Ali Express's claim that the "Large" screen is the one for the Versys-X. (The damn thing is way too wide!)
I have ordered the "Small" version of the same. The "Small" claims to have a distance between mounting points on the stock screen of 21 cm. This would be about right.

The stock Versys-X screen induces wind turbulence around my helmet. It's noisy (even with earplugs). I am 180 cm (6 ft) tall and am using the Kawasaki aftermarket taller seat (wonderfully comfortable compared with the stock seat), that makes me even "taller" in the saddle.

I took the stock Versys-X screen off. At 110 km/h my helmet is a lot quieter, but, there is a lot of wind force on my chest and hips (of all places!) that I know will tire me out on tours.

Another problem with the clip-on additional screen is that when you are in traffic on the motorway the wind buffeting causes the screen to flop forward and aft with quite a large deflection. Some reinforcing would help to stop the screen from wiggling. Perhaps I could fit a tall smartphone mount, and then pack a rubber spacer between the horizontal bar of the phone mount and the windscreen (to suppress windscreen wiggle).

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I fitted the optional "high" seat it raised my head just enough to be out of the quiet and into the wind.
I tried a deflector first, but then went for the larger screen to get an acceptable result. A much better idea.
My aliexpress deflector:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Then my aliexpress larger screen:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
583 Posts
Was looking at that screen this morning, any issues thus far Brockie?
Have you had yours long?
Straight bolt on. No issues.
18 months use so far without problems however I am careful not to scratch it when cleaning. I always hose down the whole bike and then use warm water with car wash and a car wash brush, not a sponge or rag wiping up and down and gently at first. Not sure how anti scratch it is and I've swirled up a few screens in the past.
All good so far.
They come in tint or clear and I recommend the clear version.

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
What I've been using for MANY YEARS on my windshields and visors is 'generic-lemon-pledge' furniture polish, and everything is scratch-free.

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
I buy mine at Safeway, usually ON SALE at about $2/can. I carry one w/ a clean rag in my saddle-bag (on long trips in my tank-bag for easy access!).

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
672 Posts
Reactions: GeoGator

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
305 Posts
@GeoGator - are you still liking that "adjustable" screen mount / accessory holder ? Any issues ?

Looks like you have the stock screen ... and the adjustment up as high as it will go ? (I tried to find the original post where you talked about that, but didn't find it ?)
Yes, I like it very much. It is the stock screen and it's in the highest position. It pushes all the air over or around me; I'm 5'10". I rode into a head wind and it did slow me down and it also makes cross winds a bit more interesting, but that would be true with any larger wind screen. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ordered the same screen as you have been using Brockie, will be interested to see the difference I get when fitted.
Much depends on each individual rider - your height, your helmet, adjusting the handlebars, modifying the seat etc - but I am very pleased with the improvement even while wearing my LS2 adventure helmet. I am 5'11" and fitted the higher Kawasaki "ergonomic" seat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My "Small 1" (small-sized screen) arrived today from China via Ali Express. It fits the stock Versys-X 300 windscreen perfectly. I didn't need to bend or force anything. It clipped right on. I only tightened the grub screws (2 screws a side) up moderately firmly -- just enough to be confident that the screen won't fly off on the motorway.
Tomorrow I'll field-test it.

I'll hang on to the now useless "Large" screen and use it for parts in case any of the mounting components break.

UPDATE:
I mounted the large screen on my R6 (will need to test to see what benefits it will give me).
The small screen works well on the Versys-X. Need to go on a longer ride to see how much it reduces wind roar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My new screen arrived yesterday from Aliexpress, 10 days from China, wow!
So well packed I was astounded, one of the best buyer experiences I have had online.
The fit and quality are very good.
I already had 6mm spacers fitted to the standard screen and reused these to give a little more clearance for my hand guards.
Perfect fit and sits around 3 inches or 75mm taller than the standard screen.
I like it
Artifact Font Graphite Automotive tire Tints and shades
Artifact Headgear Rectangle Font Tints and shades
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Brown Outerwear Font Material property Wood
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Sports equipment Kitchen appliance Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
195 Posts
Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short video version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter
This is the short video version and the editing may seem a little choppy to keep it to 18 minutes. This project was very time consuming, diving into windshield design to control helmet noise (buffeting) and control air flow for low/mid/high zones. The goal being reduce helmet noise and experiment with several different designs to come up with a hot days and cool days version. Over several months and no less than 100 hours for design, build, install and road test went into this project and was the biggest one yet that I have worked on for the Versys X300. This project is open ended. A longer video version will follow.
I hope you all enjoy this one as it was a learning experience to learn what works and what doesn't.
LINK: (262) Kawasaki Versys X300 2017-2022 (short version) Designing Windshields for summer and winter - YouTube
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts