Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know from my frantic post about dropping a feeler gauge down the timing chain hole, I just finished a valve clearance adjustment. I also did a spark plug change and an oil change beforehand. I finally got everything back together and started up the bike, and noticed my idle speed has dropped a bit from the standard 1300 to 1000. Adjusting it seems easy enough, but I'm curious if this is something that might normally happen after work like this (specifically the valve adjustment/spark plug change)? Just want to make sure there isn't any underlying issue I may have forgotten when reassembling everything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I often find I need to "tweak" the idle adjustment after changing plugs, but it's usually running a little faster than before. Changing the valve clearance also changes the valve timing slightly. It's a guess how/whether it might effect idle speed.

In my case, I'd check that the hoses are in place, the throttle cable looks ok, then I'd re-adjust the idle and start riding again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't be overly concerned. I just changed my plugs and had to adjust idle too. In fact, I find my idle varies a fair degree from one part of the day to the next, even once warmed up. Sometimes I come to a stop and she sits at 1200 or so, even in neutral, and then later that same ride she sits right at her 1300-1350 where I have it set.

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
Did you put all the hosed back on?
Check you have put the MAP hose back onto the throttle bodies.

I would have done a throttle body sync at the same time you had it all apart to put new plugs in - I would not be surprised if new Plugs could have altered the TB Sync slightly which can affect idle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be overly concerned. I just changed my plugs and had to adjust idle too. In fact, I find my idle varies a fair degree from one part of the day to the next, even once warmed up. Sometimes I come to a stop and she sits at 1200 or so, even in neutral, and then later that same ride she sits right at her 1300-1350 where I have it set.
I think this may be it. I had it out today and let it warm up for a while and noticed it popped up a bit closer to where it was before (it was probably a smidge below 1300 before all the work). Either way- just took the V out for it's first ride and it runs like a champ. Don't know how much is psychological, but it feels alot smoother and a bit more "oomph." I'll probably bump the idle speed up a bit, but I don't think I'll be too concerned for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts