Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (29) picked up a used Yamaha TDM 850 this summer. Nice bike, still runs great for being 20+ years old, and pretty decent road manners for a newbie rider. (and probably about the same overall performance as my 2009 Versys, until we get above 10,000 feet :D).

He sent me this picture the other day. Apparently he neglected to check the chain tension, and this resulted from heavy acceleration from a low speed. :eek:

good news is he kept the bike upright.

Now all he needs to do is find a used swingarm. Anyone have any leads in the US???

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year of the bike would be helpful
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the reminder. It's either a 92 or a 93 - that's the only years they brought them into the US. I'll update when I get a call back from him with the exact year.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
the "Tedium" was/ is a pretty kool bike. bad timing though.... I always thought it had a lot of potential for growth

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never worked on mine either. I expect that the cavemen were complaining about the same thing.
"History Begins at Sumer" is a neat little book I read long ago. It includes a bunch of translations from Sumerian clay tablets. One of these is a letter from a father to his son complaining how the kid hangs round the street corners with his friends instead of attending school, how he's lazy, how he greases his hair cause he thinks it's cool, all the usual stuff.

That's 6,000 years ago.

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
My dad always told me. The best part of me dribbled down moms leg...:teetertooter::teetertooter::teetertooter::teetertooter:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got another along that line but it might get me banned.....

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
:D the site was getting a bit boring and then you came along....taking for making my day:laugh::cheers::cheers:
Be careful NOT to encourage him...!

:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Located a used swingarm in the states in late January, and took the TDM to the shop last month to get it repaired. It took them a couple weeks to source parts for the chain adjusters, and get everything else in and put together. A few hours of labor later, and the TDM lives again.

Since I got to pick it up from the shop, I thought it was only fair that I took it for a short ride :) For a 27 year old motorcycle, it sure does run nice. Probably quicker than my 650, until we get above 10,00o feet anyway :D

By the way, if anyone is looking for a decent shop on the west side of Denver, give Jim a call at TFog Motorsports.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts