Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a hard thing I know with the right tools. NOW where can I buy a hand held tach and the right right vacuum gauge. Or will any gauge do? The manual says not to use the cluster gauge but it's it that big of deal? I hate too buy them from Kawasaki as I could just about buy a new bike!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You don't need a tach. I like Carbtune, not to pricey but works really well. You can get a 2 or 4 cylinder version. I would go ahead a get a 4 since it is very little more. I bought one directly from them. I kid you not, it arrived on my doorstep from England in two days.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
if you search the forum there is a home made unit that consists of some fish tank air line & some transmission fluid....so about ten bucks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried that a while back. Really doesn't work very well.

While I try most anything and have made my share of special tools I am not overly fond of homemade gauges like this. I found they never seem to work as well as advertised and a lot of store bought ones aren't much better. I had one years ago when I had a CB-750, now I stay mainly with singles and twins, forget the multis. It worked about 1/2 way but a starving kid had to do what he could. I was amazed when I got a "Real Store Bought One" how much easier it was to do the job. I guess having the resources to order just the right size tubing and have the right fluid makes a difference. The first one I made I got something wrong as the motor sucked the oil right out of the tubing and down the carbs, I really wanted to clean them anyway! YEA, right. :mad:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Take a look a Morgan Carbtune. I think it some little guy in England making 'em in his garage. They work better than anything I have ever used. Price for a twin is 47 pounds, probably around $65. I have lotsa friends since I got one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just built my own carb sync tool today, cost 8$. I didn't trust it so I went to the local shop and borrowed his motion pro tool. Come to find out it was dead nuts on with my hack job fwiw. :interesting:

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Just built my own carb sync tool today, cost 8$. I didn't trust it so I went to the local shop and borrowed his motion pro tool. Come to find out it was dead nuts on with my hack job fwiw. :interesting:
Exactly...

It is not rocket science - it is just science!
It is also much much easier to make one for our 2 cylinder V's than a 4 cylinder.

If you are going to build your own... get the harder thicker type Air Line, the soft squishy silicone fish tank tubing that is also sold is NOT recommended as the vacuum will suck the air out of the line and collapse/squish the tubing and then you will get false readings. This is probably the problem for most not working correctly.

To set RPM's get yourself a decent Multimeter with RPM clamp-on.
You will always need a multimeter for something.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
For what?

Syncing or making a DIY gauge?

Do a search for throttle body synchronization. When I did mine around Jan this year I posted up a lot.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got any photos and a little write up on it? Sure would be easier if we had that. hint hint :confused:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly...

It is not rocket science - it is just science!
It is also much much easier to make one for our 2 cylinder V's than a 4 cylinder.

If you are going to build your own... get the harder thicker type Air Line, the soft squishy silicone fish tank tubing that is also sold is NOT recommended as the vacuum will suck the air out of the line and collapse/squish the tubing and then you will get false readings. This is probably the problem for most not working correctly.

To set RPM's get yourself a decent Multimeter with RPM clamp-on.
You will always need a multimeter for something.
This Multimeter and tach OK? Not the best I know but it's a once a year kind of thing, and my Fluke got flattened years ago. So good old Harborfreight comes in to play! :eek:

http://www.harborfreight.com/lcd-automotive-multimeter-with-tachometer-kit-95670.html

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got any photos and a little write up on it? Sure would be easier if we had that. hint hint :confused:
Ill get right on it! Wasn't sure anyone would be interested. Ill do a whole walk through of building the gauge and then sync'n!

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
Ill get right on it! Wasn't sure anyone would be interested. Ill do a whole walk through of building the gauge and then sync'n!
You'll help a LOT of inmates!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Your Versys aready has a tachometer which is not that hard to read... You can't have your idle speed at a perfect and stable 1,300 rpm anyway.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at the tach it clamps on a plug wire...going to be hard to do on a Versys with stick coils anyway!

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Looking at the tach it clamps on a plug wire...going to be hard to do on a Versys with stick coils anyway!

Yes you can...

I have the same type of clamp-over RPM cable.
Here is the one I bought: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1444&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1060#1

Open the clamp and slip the thinner of the jaws under the wires. You only put the wires from one coil stick into the clamp.

When I synced my TB, the RPMs do jump around a little bit, like +-30rpms. It is not much but better than looking at the tacho and setting them to more towards 1400 or 1200 rpm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts