Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an idiot i will admit.

I was backing out the bold that keeps the chain tight and the wheel straight on the chain side of the swing arm and it sheared the bolt.

At this point there isn't a way to get the bolt out but I was thinking maybe a self tapping bolt? I am at a loss on where to go from here.

I also dont want to ride with that bolt not there and I dont have a spacer at this time. Short of replacing the swing arm, what options do I have?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I would use some penetrating oil and a left or reverse drill bit to get the fastener the rest of the way out of the swingarm. You can buy reverse drill bits at ACE hardware and other such places. Make sure it is small enough to drill into the fastener without damaging the swingarm threads.

Then buy a new 8x40 fastener and be careful next time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thank god for my welder often, especially in cases where I have a seized bolt in aluminum. Stick a nut on the end zap it on with the welder and the heat loosens the threads too boot.

But if you are risking damaging the actual swing arm and lack the skills to get this done properly it might be cheaper in the end to have a shop do the extraction for you.

I will take this as a hint to get some anti-seize on mine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered a retapping set from amazon to repair the bolt. Should work well... Thank you for the advice all, I tried a reverse drill bit and it broke the bit (ugh). I don't know what is causing it to not come out but I couldn't even get the broken bolt to go forward and just let it sit in the swing arm.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Took me a while to image what was going on with the bolt. But now, I get it. Try penetrating oil and let soak, then use heat gun (hair dryer) to heat up the Al to expand it (Al expands greater than steel, and hopefully it will loosen up the threads contact), and try not to heat up the bolt, and then use the reverse drill bit on the bolt?

I think Galling took place between the 2 sliding surfaces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts