Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Bucephalus... My 2008 Versys has been a hanger queen for some time. It has nearly 40,000 miles on it, but has not been ridden lately due to changes in my life.

Now I am about to retire and I need to move Bucephalus and maintain it. Unfortunately, the battery is too dead to start the bike. Also, I cannot remove the seat.

When I try to remove the seat, my key bends, but does not turn. It seems that it is stuck.

Which direction does this lock turn? Does anyone have any idea how I can get the seat off in order to charge the battery?

Thanks

Premium Member
First , clockwise, my suggestion is to apply light clockwise pressure on the key and pound the center of the pillion part of the seat . Or get someone to sit on the seat. There is a cable attached to the key operator, I have considered using needle nose pliers on this , although it is not easily accessed.
As to charging the battery, this is possible if you take the cover off the start solenoid / main fuse. That solenoid is directly connected to the positive battery terminal.
Here is a link, excellent photos, those two large terminals, one goes to the battery, the other the starter ( yes you dcould boost it from here but I would try charging first) eventually you need to replace the battery;

Registered
it unlocks by turning clockwise (as usual).

be sure to fist bump the pillion seat (while trying to turn the key) to perhaps nudge free some parts.
maybe tap the lock with a small spanner again to nudge things, or even dislodge crap out of the keyhole if any.
try all keys, less worn ones first.
is this key even turning a bit?
if not, you might need to pick the lock. If so, I can't imagine much mechanism resisting. stainless steel cable and parts...

last effort, it will cost you this seat cover fairing (~70$), cut out the plastic around the lock (or melt with a soldering iron) and pull the lock and thus the cable. If the lock still works, you'll be able to reinstall on the new fairing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks onewizard and dddd.

I have now made some spare keys out of what may be a stronger material than the stock key.

I also realize that I have a Gerbing's heated clothing plug available that is attached directly to the battery. I may figure out a way to use that to charge the battery.

The issue is that this bike is up at my mountain house and that is quite a ways a way from your typical hardware or parts place. Once I get this moved into town, I can much more easily work on solutions for the longer term.

Once again, thanks. My Versys is still my favorite bike to ride, but has been in an inconvenient place for some time.

Premium Member
I don't know if you clicked on that link, the heated gear connector would be chancy as to polarity, plus what if it is fused?
I copied the photo of the start relay, if you wanted to boost it, that is possible, the question is, how old is the gas? One thing I can also help with provided you get the seat off, is using the fuel pump to pump out the old fuel, I think the fuel pump connector is covered by the seat.
For the start solenoid one philips tip screw needed to remove for access, I think where his thumb is is the positive lead to the starter but not sure, the other one would be the battery positive;

Registered
Did you try spraying WD40 or something similar down the key slot?
I wouldn't recommend that. A locksmith told me that graphite is the only lubricant that should be used in a lock. I have a small container with a long tapered snout that I can push past the 'door' that covers the lock, then a squeeze of the container puffs a bit of the dry powder into the lock. It can also be applied to the key and used in a normal fashion.

I lube both the ignition and seat locks as part of maintenance, a couple of times per year. It really does make a difference.

Super Moderator
Altho' it might NOT be ideal, I regularly spray WD40 into the locks on my V650s, and they work PDG!

(y)(y)

:cool:

Registered
I bet you spray WD40 on your cornflakes too, Ed. You should rep for that company, get $$ for your frequent endorsements.;)

Brian, my locksmith friend, is also a motorcyclist. He told me about having to repair a lock mechanism that had been sprayed with WD40. He likened it to a mechanic having to change a tire that the owner had tried to rescue with Slime or whatever that crap's called.

It was not a good product review and was described with some very choice words. I almost thought Brian had been in the navy with that vocabulary.

I also have experience with folks thinking WD40 was some sort of technician-in-a-can. A customer returned a used medium format film camera purchased at my store. He thought the leaf shutter was a bit slow so he sprayed it with WD40. He wanted a refund. I used some of my locksmith friend's choicer words in my refusal.

Registered
2013 v650
If the wrong lub has ever been used on that lock, then WD 40 will break that up and lub it at the same time.

Registered
I think the component in WD40 that made my locksmith wince is paraffin, which is in the lube as a sealer for bare metal after it is etched by the solvent spray. Parrafin is a wax derived from petroleum.. WD stands for water displacement to deter rust. After the solvents evaporate a light coating of wax sticks to the cleaned (etched) metal. That said, Ive used it regularly on all types of locks. I live 10 minutes from the ocean and theres salt in the air which causes metal corrosion. Maybe a wax sealer isnt a bad idea. I see corrosion all the time in my electric connects on my Kawi or my Ebike which are in my garage. Dialectic grease is recommended but a squirt of WD works too. So in my on the road kit for my Kawi is a can of WD40 in a plastic bag, in a pinch it will do it all. In my garage, I have my collection of specialized lubes, solvent sprays, etc. My personal fav for all my chains now is Teflon spray, super slippery and even less gunk than WD40.

Registered
Your choice of Teflon is perhaps due to one component: graphite.

From "Your Ultimate Teflon Dry Film Lubricant Guide" at Performance Engineered Components:

"There are two predominant materials used in dry film lubricants. They are:
  • Graphite 鈥 this lubricant is used in air compressors, food equipment, brass instruments, open gears, locks, firearms, ball bearings, etc.
  • Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) 鈥 this lubricant is used in CV joints most of the time. It has also been used in space vehicles"
Regardless, graphite is a very useful product, it can even be used in pencils!

Registered
Your choice of Teflon is perhaps due to one component: graphite.
Get some teflon spill from the spray on the floor and you will slip for sure. Speaking of graphite, I cant wait to see all the uses they will come up with for graphene. Aside from being the strongest thing they've ever come up with as well as a super conductor its supposed to be a super lubricant! Love to try that on my chains!

Premium Member
Well for graphene .looked it up, a 2012 discovery, not sure what happened to the post Smiley but here goes;

Premium Member
For someone that has trouble with finding the has trouble finding the magic smoke @Smiley, very impressive on the graphene . For those interested. Carbon is used in the manufacture of brass, tire / rubber compounds, many plastics, hose , water filters and the list goes on. Much of the purposes is UV inhibitor. Carbon is used on most keyboards, tv remotes. I use the graphite in all my locks, the difference is I do it once a year, a little goes a long way.
Being in the electrical industry, I was surprised that something that has been around since 2012 , missed my attention.

This forum has been a great source of sharing knowledge, it is best to keep a open mind, this isn't a chain lube thread and yes WD40 has been around a long time, I would hope that we don't have multiple posts in this thread " I USE WD40 and it works excellent " , as it is in my opinion saying that graphite is a possibility but WD40 works best. FYI I am out of WD40, but have about 15 cans of various anti-seize, chain lube/ chain cleaner, penetrating oil with moly in it.
Thanks @Smiley, learned something new today graphene

I stand corrected @jaaklucas was the original source for graphene, a little off today, as I just became a grandfather today 馃榿

Reactions: Smiley

Registered
I was wondering what the graphene reference was about so I followed your Wiki link, Wizz.
My eyes glazed over and I was lost in the first paragraph.
The smoke got out of the wires again, just like in my understanding of motorcycle electrics. Let the smoke out and nothing works.

Maybe graphene will put the fire out.

Congrats on the new grandfather role. Do I get a cigar the next time I see you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts