Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kawasaki Concours is a sweet bike, I sat on one at the local dealer, I have not ridden on yet. Has anyone ridden one, I need another bike like I need a whole in the head! But I have a sickness..................
I could just add hardbags to the V, it still won't be as comfy as the Connie, but would probably be sufficient. I'm not selling the V, even if I buy a fourth bike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Go for it , I want one too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've ridden an older one. I thought it was bulky/heavy. jmho

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had one- a 2008 Concours that I actually ended up trading in for the Versys.

The C14 is an incredible bike. It rides like a video game on the highway- incredibly smooth and deceptively quick. Once you replace the stock BS tires with Pilot Road IIs the handling improves greatly. I used it as a commuter so I never really had a super-long highway trip. The hard bags were great, the adjustable windshield really nifty.
I miss mine, but the V does what I need. The C14 will get you into hyperspeeds really fast and the temptation to twist the throttle was too great for me. It's also a very heavy, top-heavy bike and tipovers are expensive (2-3k$).
Plus, my insurance dropped considerably going to the V.
Would I have one again? Yes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I currently have my 78th-82nd bikes in the garage, so I know your disease very well (It's great, ain't it?!). I had an '09 C14. It was a very smooth, powerful, good handling, nice looking heavy, bulky, hot bike. I sold it. I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. The C14 is a great bike, IF you can overlook the heat and if you do a lot of distance and/or 2-up riding, IMO. Otherwise, there are better bikes on the market for you needs. YMMV, as always.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. .
:thumb:

Haha if I didn't know you any better, I'd almost swear you're my father in law. He had 3 Vs at one point in time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just sold (almost) all my high-powered, expensive bikes. I haven't found a better balanced, more efficient, cost-effective, comfy, fun bike than the V. I'm trying desperately to grow up. I'm not sure if I like it yet, or not...I have one V lowered for my wife; one for me; and one set up as an ST one, or two, -up bike. I'm going to see if that, and a dirt bike, will do it for a while. I have two other bikes still to sale. If they sell...

This is a great bike, guys. If you're out of the ego, hyper, etc. phase, anyway. Though there's nothing wrong w/that. You just gotta' pay your dues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was bitten by the Connie bug too. Brought home a 2010 ABS Connie in February. A wonderful sport touring bike. New fairing design solved all the heat issues and it is soooo smooth to ride and shift and takes the twisties all in stride for a bike that wieghs 250 lbs more than the Versys. No more bobble head from the buffeting, no more chain noise. Granted that you might look down at the speedo and find yourself easily doing 20mph over the speed limit, (one reason why I added cruise control). If you take one for a test ride, it will be hard to resist. It is so easy to lust for another bike, it must be our nature.
The V is a wonderful bike that I will always love for what it can do. A V is in a different class altogether from the Connie.

·
Registered
327 Posts
To a point. OTOH, the V will take me anywhere the C14 will. I'm simplifying. They're all fun. I've had more than my share of it/them. "Simplify and enjoy," that's my motto. Ride and own all of them you can. It's great fun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have ridden a C14 pretty extensively but haven't owned one. I now own a Versys.

To me, the C14 is about the epitome of a modern, highly competent, comfortable, powerful sport-tourer. It hides its weight superbly once it's moving and no other motorcycle in the world offers you both an electrically adjustable windshield and a slipper clutch. That's tour and sport in one package. All of these are things I admire. But, having reached the age where I have more self-knowledge than I used to, I realize that admiring and wanting to own are two different things.

That's why I just bought a leftover 2009 Versys and put hard bags on it for less than half the cost of a C14. I realized I'd happily give up the quirky key-less ignition, the electronic tire pressure monitors, the integrated bags and the huge power if I could also give up most of the price tag, a huge amount of weight and probably some speeding tickets and higher insurance bills. I'll continue to admire other peoples' C14s and ride my Versys as far as I'd go if I had a Concours.

Now, depending on how you ride, having both may be a great situation. Personally, if I had both, I suspect I'd never ride the Concours unless I were going more than 250 miles, more than two days on the road, or two-up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The C14 is a great bike, for what it is. Just remember, however, it will always be what it is: a heavy, bulky bike. Yes, it hides it well, but it's still a 680+ pound bike. It's great, if you do a lot of highway, distance, and/or 2-up riding. Horses for courses, as always.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love the V but wish I had the new 2010 C14. I've spent a lot of money on side bags,top box, windshield, seat, heated grips..............I don't even want to add it up trying to make my V into pretty much what the connie is from the factory. My wife just laughs at me each time I get a new add-on and I say now that I have this I pretty much have everything I need......I know I'm still way under the price of a connie.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just rode a 2010 C14 this Sunday at a Kawasaki Demo Days event. Once I was able to figure out how to start it (not easy, at least for me), the bike itself is great. Rides smaller than it actually is, is so powerful you won't believe it and is very comfortable to boot. I found the fueling not as good as the V, and lightyears behind the new Z1000, very snatchy and difficult to roll on smothly. Once on the gas, it is like a turbine with so much power, yet no vibrations that I could tell came up to the bars or pegs. You do feel the weight, especially at low speeds and at tip in to a curve, but once it takes a set it tracks very well.

And yet, I like the Versys better. It can do just about anything that I want from it, from the twisties I enjoy upstate to commuting back and forth with minimal costs. The bags hold a lot, riding position is as comfortable as the C14 and with all the farkles I have on it, it is still less than a plain C14. Sure, it isn't as fast as the C14, but I can cruise at 75mph all day on a highway and I kept up with a Goldwing, 2 Honda ST1300s and a Yamaha FJR 1300 without too many problems. Actually, they held me up a bit in the twisty stuff, while they pulled away on the straights.

What I am really waiting for is for the new Z1000 to be available with a tail trunk and/or saddlebags and a taller Givi windscreen. That to me would be the perfect machine for me, though YMMV...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm waiting for a Japanese Miltistrada 1200, w/or w/o the electronic wizadry. A high-end, high performance Versys 1200 would do very nicely, I think. Still waiting...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm waiting for a Japanese Miltistrada 1200, w/or w/o the electronic wizadry. A high-end, high performance Versys 1200 would do very nicely, I think. Still waiting...
What ever you do, DO NOT ride the new Multistrata, you’ll want to burn your Versys.
Save yourself 20k, Just simply don't ride the Duc.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Too late. I test rode one a couple of weeks ago. Very nice, but just not worth the money and hassle to me. I'm pretty much set on sticking w/Japanese bikes. The value, convenience, and overall satisfaction are just too high and easy. I also didn't like the way the seat locked you into one position and the passenger peg brackets kept my feet from going into a full attack position (On the balls of my feet.). It was very nice, though. Just not worth that much cash to me. But, I'm headed the other way, anyway. From the expensive/high performance to the practical/efficient.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I currently have my 78th-82nd bikes in the garage, so I know your disease very well (It's great, ain't it?!). I had an '09 C14. It was a very smooth, powerful, good handling, nice looking heavy, bulky, hot bike. I sold it. I have 3 '09 V's. I sold my '08 V. The C14 is a great bike, IF you can overlook the heat and if you do a lot of distance and/or 2-up riding, IMO. Otherwise, there are better bikes on the market for you needs. YMMV, as always.
WOW! 82 motorcycles! I'd like to see the list. I have owned 5, and the Versys is light years ahead of them all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im thinking of the VFR 1200 now, found one online for 14K, but just don't have that kind of scratch right now, maybe someday..................

1 - 20 of 41 Posts