Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please allow a newbie to vent a little.....
Just bought the bike a few weeks ago and this friggin seat sucks! I keep sliding forward and it's not too pleasant on the jewels, if you know what I mean:mad:. My 7 mile ride to work this morning had me squirming around to find a comfortable spot, but couldn't.

OK.............I'm done now.....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Lot's of solution/option are offered on this forum

Read on and you will probably find the answer to save those nice jewels !!!

And :welcome:

LOP

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
:welcome: aboard and to some the seat :thumb: and to some :thumbdown: Best to get to the nearest friendly upholstery and custom you seat to your curves:D

:goodluck: & :cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am curious as to why some people slide forward on the seat? Does this only happen when slowing down or stopping really fast? I don't seem to have this problem but maybe it's because I never slow down really fast. The only time I may slide is backwards when accelerating from a stop just because it's fun to do. I like the way the passenger part of the seat is raised because it acts as sort of a very tiny back rest and keeps me from sliding backwards when I rocket forward. Maybe I am not using the brakes enough? I tend to look way ahead of where I am going and always anticipate how much braking I will need when I have to slow down and/or stop.

:feedback:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Until its a sticky I'll repeat: Lower the pegs first. You'll find a brand new seat! If that doesn't work, grab a stick of plastic and the phone and spend away.

·
Registered
262 Posts
+1 Krazo. Motowerk peg lowering kit totally changed the dynamic of the seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i do not like the seat either....had a corbin ordered but cancelled...needed the Yoshimura first...woohoo!!!

Anyways, i got the black sheepskin cover (alaskinleather.com?) and has done wonders for my 2 friends!!!

Ridin to Laconia, NH for bike weekend tomorrow and we shall see how it goes on the long runs. If somethin else is needed, i will go with the footpeg lowering kit from motowerk. i have the universal GPS plate...quality is outstanding!

·
Registered
582 Posts
+1 on the alaskanleather butt pad!!
The rally special is easier on the wallet. Quick shipping also!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess I'm one of those from the other planet.;)

I guess from spendng alot of time on dirt bike seats that are skinny and 2X4 stiff, I find the V seat very comfortable. When I ride fast and agressive I get into dirt bike mode and grip the bike with my legs. No sliding around at all, unless I want to. When you know you're coming to a fast stop squeeze the bike with your legs and see if it stops you from sliding forward. Riding pants also tend to have fabric on the butt and inside leg that is sorta grippy too.

I must confess though - I went to the local sheepskin shop and picked up a full premium sheepskin and cut my own seat cover, then sewed some wide elastic on for attachment. Was a much cheaper option than the pre-made places. I made one for my wifes bike also, and still have skin left over. Anyhow, this does help with relieving some pressure, but I very seldom use it unless I know I'm gonna be on the bike for more than 4 hrs.

Just goes to show we are all cut from a different cloth...

So which planet is that I'm from??? :thumb: :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have Speedy's peg lowering kit and I have raised the front of the stock seat 1-1/4 inches and I have a sheepskin buttpad. And I still hate my seat. I no longer slide forward into the tank under braking, but the seat puts my butt to sleep. I should have bought that Corbin that was just listed in the flea market and sold to someone else.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 Krazo. Motowerk peg lowering kit totally changed the dynamic of the seat.
I'm going to get the lowering blocks next month (birthday present from my wife) so we'll see how effects the ride. :goodidea:

One thing I did notice today is that the type of pants I wear make a big difference in getting my stones squished. Since I work in an office I have to wear dress pants, which by design are made of relatively thin material and fairly loose. I think that's what causes me to slide forward when I use the V for commuting. However, when I wear jeans (thicker fabric and tighter fit) on recreational rides, I don't have that problem. They seem to hold me in place better and the ride is more comfortable.

I'll let everyone know how the lowering blocks worked for me when I get them.
:cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Obviously from a galaxy far far away. ;)

Or you could try this http://www.blogthings.com/whatplanetareyoufromquiz/
:thumb:

:) Thanks for the link - That settled it - I'm from MARS! Fits me perfect:)

TEST RESULTS -

You Are From Mars

You're energetic, athletic, and totally hyperactive.

You love playing sports and being in the middle of all of the action.

You're independent, courageous, and brave. You aren't afraid to do things your way.

You like the stock seat on the Versys

As Mars, you can be reckless, quick tempered, and a little too spontaneous.
So think before you act - and resist your natural urges to dominate others.

·
Registered
582 Posts
JimJim,

Yes that is the pillion 1 style. You can also ask for a front strap to hold it down if you stand up alot. I shift up and around at times and mine has never lifted or moved and I do not have the front strap. made a huge diff. for me an my a**!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts