Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the looks and paint scheme on the new Versys 650. The new TFT display is smallish, but very nice.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

The riding position and feel of the controls as well as the view from the cockpit felt the same as my 2011. My thoughts are that if you are looking for a new bike in that price range the Versys 650 should be considered. If you already own a 2010 or newer Versys, and it is still reliable, save your money and keep riding it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

The ride route included some 65 mph roads and some twisty roads. It felt like I was on my 2011 the day I bought it. I am not a fan of the locked in seating position of the Versys 650 which I did remedy with a custom made seat.

Water Tire Wheel Sky Plant

I would say that the Versys 650 is better equipped than say the new Triumph Tiger 600.

· Registered
Stull no Versys but: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Vespa P200E, Vespa PK50 XL Automatica, Vespa Sfera
15 Posts
Model you show is the 2022 version in Europe. I demo'd it in august and wited for the 2023 (europe) colors and ordered the metallic smoke gold version...

· Registered
6,096 Posts

· Registered
Stull no Versys but: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Vespa P200E, Vespa PK50 XL Automatica, Vespa Sfera
15 Posts
Only rode the versys, because that looked like the bike I wanted to order... An did... They had all types including h2 as a demo.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I liked the Z900RS also. Did you ride it? I came very close to buying one.
They had the Z900RS cafe. The sound was intoxicating!

The price point would have me looking at more practical bikes though, and Kawasaki did an atrocious job with integrating the radiator into the bike ruining the aesthetics for me.

An acquaintance was letting go a low miles lime green one before Covid at about half of what these new bikes go for. Now wishing I would have had the money then. Just can't spend $13k plus fees just to enjoy the sound. Better if a friend buys one and I follow closely behind him. LOL!

For where I live and ride the 900 is so much overkill and I am not into liquid cooled bikes unless they really hide the radiator and making the engine look like it still has cooling fins is a plus. Triumph has done a good job with their classic lineup.

· Registered
2022 Honda CB500X, ex Versys 650
67 Posts
I liked the Z900RS also. Did you ride it? I came very close to buying one.
I briefly owned a 2021 Z900RS in candy blue/yellow stripe, and I think I was not the intended buyer for it. Even at 70 yo, I found it became 'transport' very quickly.
Not boring, but didn't excite my riding style. The throttle was like a J curve, nothing then everything. I appreciate a linear ramp up.
Also the seat in my opinion was too high and riding position forced me up onto the tank as the Z900 chassis was used, and it has a shorter tank length.
I now own a 2022 Z900, and it is everything the RS is not (for me). The RS is far overpriced for what it gives.
An old Mate this week almost bought the new 2023 colour RS, black with red on the tanks flanks, but pulled out when he re thought about the price the next day.
But it looks the part, as the red is not over bright red like the 50th Anniversary, but a deeper crimson red.

Secondly, my 2022 Versys 650, the same as in the lead photo at the top of the page, has departed the garage. After 7 months and 6000 KM, I have tried my luck with a new 2022 Honda CB500X.
I realised that the Versys, while a great machine, did not fit the twisty up and down roads that I appreciate around my locale.
My conclusion was that the bike was primely designed for the North American Market; those long freeways where bottom end end engine performance are secondary to mid rev to top end power.
So nice to ride at 100 KPH and above, an ideal touring bike. But, that was not my use of this bike, and actually, I found I was speeding so easily on it, too often on the open road.

The Honda 500X fills the bottom end range so much better, not with HP, but the constant torque from 0 to 4000 RPM, where the Versys felt weak and unreliable in comparison below 4 K going down the box.
The surprise with the Honda is how plush the suspension is, roads that were sometimes passing the bumps and dips through to the seat of the V650, don't appear to be anywhere as bad.
I have an enjoyable time with the V650, and if I was the long distance rider, I could not wish for a better bike (and I have owned many). I don't have 'Buyers Remorse', don't think that.
The Z900 rattles the teeth on the very same rough roads.

Thirdly, I like to add that the large touring screen from Kawasaki is a 'must buy' for this year model. They priced it right, and it makes the standard screen more a styling exercise.
Recently, I bought a cheap screen extender via Ebay for AU $25. Added to the standard screen, it doesn't help much as the top wings of that screen vortex the wind to both sides of my helmet (Arai GT Air Gen 1). Those vortex's are filling the vacuum left by the wind deflector.
The touring screen, works with the deflector a lot better, and that screen has it's wings designed by Kawasaki to sweep the air away from the rider's helmet.
Here's a picture with the large screen.

Fourthly, Thanks for the good time with this Friendly Forum, and the "Old Hands" passing down knowledge was very much appreciated.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year, as Fast Eddie has already said elsewhere. He must have a faster calendar than mine, so many days yet, but I've got my present already, the Honda.

Rob.

Plant Tree Shade Sunlight Grass
Product Font Rectangle Line Screenshot

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,232 Posts
I briefly owned a 2021 Z900RS in candy blue/yellow stripe, and I think I was not the intended buyer for it. Even at 70 yo, I found it became 'transport' very quickly.
Not boring, but didn't excite my riding style. The throttle was like a J curve, nothing then everything. I appreciate a linear ramp up.
Also the seat in my opinion was too high and riding position forced me up onto the tank as the Z900 chassis was used, and it has a shorter tank length.
I now own a 2022 Z900, and it is everything the RS is not (for me). The RS is far overpriced for what it gives.
An old Mate this week almost bought the new 2023 colour RS, black with red on the tanks flanks, but pulled out when he re thought about the price the next day.
But it looks the part, as the red is not over bright red like the 50th Anniversary, but a deeper crimson red.

Secondly, my 2022 Versys 650, the same as in the lead photo at the top of the page, has departed the garage. After 7 months and 6000 KM, I have tried my luck with a new 2022 Honda CB500X.
I realised that the Versys, while a great machine, did not fit the twisty up and down roads that I appreciate around my locale.
My conclusion was that the bike was primely designed for the North American Market; those long freeways where bottom end end engine performance are secondary to mid rev to top end power.
So nice to ride at 100 KPH and above, an ideal touring bike. But, that was not my use of this bike, and actually, I found I was speeding so easily on it, too often on the open road.

The Honda 500X fills the bottom end range so much better, not with HP, but the constant torque from 0 to 4000 RPM, where the Versys felt weak and unreliable in comparison below 4 K going down the box.
The surprise with the Honda is how plush the suspension is, roads that were sometimes passing the bumps and dips through to the seat of the V650, don't appear to be anywhere as bad.
I have an enjoyable time with the V650, and if I was the long distance rider, I could not wish for a better bike (and I have owned many). I don't have 'Buyers Remorse', don't think that.
The Z900 rattles the teeth on the very same rough roads.

Thirdly, I like to add that the large touring screen from Kawasaki is a 'must buy' for this year model. They priced it right, and it makes the standard screen more a styling exercise.
Recently, I bought a cheap screen extender via Ebay for AU $25. Added to the standard screen, it doesn't help much as the top wings of that screen vortex the wind to both sides of my helmet (Arai GT Air Gen 1). Those vortex's are filling the vacuum left by the wind deflector.
The touring screen, works with the deflector a lot better, and that screen has it's wings designed by Kawasaki to sweep the air away from the rider's helmet.
Here's a picture with the large screen.

Fourthly, Thanks for the good time with this Friendly Forum, and the "Old Hands" passing down knowledge was very much appreciated.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year, as Fast Eddie has already said elsewhere. He must have a faster calendar than mine, so many days yet, but I've got my present already, the Honda.

Rob.

View attachment 191610 View attachment 191612
I like that cb500x too - hope you enjoy it. Hang around and let us know how things go with it 👍🏻

· Registered
52 Posts
Slower and Slower - I rented a CB500X and rode it for 1500 km around northern Thailand in Oct. It IS THE BIKE for me but is simply not available in my market. I agree it is a great all roounder machine and will probably become a very popular bike in the years ahead. The V650 was available in Singapore and actually is my second choice but I'm very happy with it. Thanks for your input on the Z900RS.

· Registered
6,096 Posts

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts
...Merry Christmas and a safe New Year, as Fast Eddie has already said elsewhere. He must have a faster calendar than mine, so many days yet, but I've got my present already, the Honda....
I start wearing a Christmas tie each day from 01 Dec till Christmas Day. I have around a dozen of 'em, so I recycle as necessary.

By putting my Christmas 'Card" out early - it ensures that anyone that wants to see it... CAN!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts