Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had enough with the seat but do not want to spend the money for a new one so this is my solution.

wifes electric carving knife
spray adhesive (had it)
air stapler (had it)
sanding disk for drill ($4 Canadian Tire)
foam mattress (from camping section at Canadian Tire $11)

took me about 3-4 hrs yesterday

Now I just have to put some mile on to see if it helped. I feels different while sitting on it in the garage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
:thumb:Nice work and rework it if you don't get it right the first time. I did mine twice and am happy with now.

:cheers:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anxious to hear how it sits! I'd be scared outta my mind to take out the carving knife and start hacking.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
@ buckshotsktm
I was thinking of something similar but was worry that the OEM vinyl cover would not fit anymore because their are not enough extra material to stappled it down

I will probably try something very much alike, but on a removable, external cushion, and if everything is good and fine, I will probably have it cover by a professional upholsterer

Thank's for the heads up
And nice work !
Let us know what it ends up like !!!

LOP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the short ride to work was a big difference. It took awhile to get used to because I am used to forcing myself back in the seat (making my legs sore) but once i relaxed i found it quite nice big difference over stock. Time will tell if i have to shape it some more. As far as the cover still fitting I did cut a fare amount of the stock spunge out to get the shape pior to adding material. I may keep my eye open for a 1/2" thick piece of memory foam to put over the whole thing

:thumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I was thinking of something similar but was worry that the OEM vinyl cover would not fit anymore because their are not enough extra material to stappled it down

I did a similar mod. Cut foam all the way down to the plastic in the rear to keep from being pushed foward while riding and built it back up with carpet pad. Also hollowed the whole thing out for a bowl effect as well cupping the glutius and keeping it nice and comfy. No straddling a downward slanted wooden log anymore! And I had plenty of material to stretch around and staple in place. The cover stretches pretty easily.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may keep my eye open for a 1/2" thick piece of memory foam to put over the whole thing
From what I understand, memory foam isn't what you want, but rather, natural foam latex.

Memory foam takes a set, so when you move, the seat retains the shape of when you were just sitting for several seconds, so you tend to drop back to the same position you just were.

Latex foam "springs" back quickly, always re-assuming it's original shape, so when you raise off the seat or simply wiggle, the seat rebounds into the space that was just vacated by your sore ass, and gives you a "new" position.

I also heard that natural latex foam breaths, and memory foam is hot.

I'm no expert, so this is just my 2 cents, and worth maybe half that! :cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just redid it after putting a few miles on it. The shape was nice but the foam was a little to hard so I went to the local tarp store and bought a piece of 1" foam put it on and shaped it. I think I have found the solution the seat actually feels real nice. :yeahsmile::yeahsmile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts