Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
You were very nice..Can't swear i wouldn't have climbed on the car all 280lbs of me to get on my bike..

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
Totally one of the many gnarly reactions that ran through my head! Oh also
:welcome:back, dude.

Thanks, Good to be back.:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
You were very nice..Can't swear i wouldn't have climbed on the car all 280lbs of me to get on my bike..
Indeed, but next time he parked in the same area, I feel quite sure the bike would be in its side.:mad: However, if you were to not be in the area again, I would be sure to leave a few boot marks and dimples in the hood!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You know this brings up a good point! What is the law if any about parking that close? I really don't know?

So if you had time you could call the cops and he could have got a ticket or maybe not?

Also what is the law on parking your bike at an angle? I know sometimes you cann't because of the slope at the curb.

You handled that with alot of class! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
In cali if theres a curb one wheel of the bike is suspose to be touching it. I always park my bike at an angle so noboby can park right up on me. This photo below is the slightest angle i use.

IMG_1583 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
That a good idea! :thumb:

I need to check what the law is out here. :confused: I should know! :eek:

Hell i just figuired it out awhile back. I always park the bike just like i park my car. Then noticed how the bikes were parked like in the the photo posted earlier.

·
Registered
521 Posts
In cali if theres a curb one wheel of the bike is suspose to be touching it. I always park my bike at an angle so noboby can park right up on me. This photo below is the slightest angle i use.

IMG_1583 by weljo2001, on Flickr
+1 and like you said, that would be the slightest angle I would use too.

You know this brings up a good point! What is the law if any about parking that close? I really don't know?

So if you had time you could call the cops and he could have got a ticket or maybe not?

Also what is the law on parking your bike at an angle? I know sometimes you can't because of the slope at the curb.
I wonder what the law has to say about that kind of parking too. Geez, you could barely get your leg and foot in there EVEN IF you did mount from the right. And, what kind of asshat parks that close to ANY VEHICLE anyway? Especially when they had 4 feet behind them.... Maybe this was just one of those "motorcycle haters." You know, the same bitter people that hate to see anyone having fun and enjoying themselves...sad but true....

As far as the slope of the curb, that really isn't a problem either...I just make sure the kickstand is on the down slope side...sometimes that means head in, sometimes that means back in. Some people don't like to go head in because they don't like to have to back the bike out before taking off, but, personally, I don't mind that.
:cheers:

·
Registered
354 Posts
What is the law if any about parking that close? I really don't know?

I'm not sure what the law is either, but I'm positive you'd have a really hard time getting a cop to show up to issue a parking citation and an even harder time proving he parked there after you and not the other way around.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I came out this morning to find my V parked upon. To a ridiculous extent. I left this note on their windshield, and thought you guys might like. Also- Possibly the first Versys on Imgur?

http://imgur.com/gallery/0KHap
Well done! No doubt giving the car a boot would have been one of my thoughts too, but you took the high road. :thumb:

Reminds me of a thing I read a while back about an uncooperative neighbor. It's pretty damn funny! See link below.

http://www.27bslash6.com/halogen.html

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
That a good idea! :thumb:

I need to check what the law is out here. :confused: I should know! :eek:

I forgot what state your in but this will cover it... http://www.dmv.org/motorcycle-manual.php

Montana DMV: Parking at the Roadside
If parking in a parallel parking space
next to a curb, position the motorcycle
at an angle with the rear wheel to the
curb. (Note: Some cities have ordinances
that require motorcycles to park parallel
to the curb.)

N.Dakota DMV: Parking at the Roadside
If parking in a parallel parking space
next to a curb, position the motorcycle
at an angle with the rear wheel to the
curb. (Note: Some cities have ordinances
that require motorcycles to park parallel
to the curb.)

S.Dakota DMV: Park with wheel touching the curb at a 90 degree angle.

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in NYC, and the law here is similar. One wheel touching the curb. If I have room for it I tend to use an angle similar to Weljo's- but this instance didn't allow for it. A groundwork 'seam' of raised macadam means straight ahead is the only direction that let it have any lean to it, and we had ourselves some 40mph winds last few days etc etc. I actually just happened to look out just before- this is my favorite spot across from my house where I can see and hear her- and got to watch dip**** read his note and speed off (I'd since moved my bike). I rather enjoyed that. :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yup, thats right Weljo! :thumb: I'm in MT and WY. Back and forth!

But I know what you mean Goat! I've had those messed up slopes before too. :mad:

One time I got a hundred dollar ticket for parking between two handy cap spots, and I locked my bike to a pole. I never took a spot at all. So I took a photo of it and the cop came by that gave me the ticket. I told him there was no place to lock up anything around here!

He said you know you are right and he had my sign something and I never got the ticket. But I never parked there again! LOL

Sometimes I lock my bike down with a camper lock!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You have much more control than I do. I guess that's why I live in the country.
Growing up mostly here in NYC one is presented with PLENTY of opportunities to flip out (even with good cause) that are better left alone. There are a lot of whackos around when you cram a few million people on a tiny island, as you might imagine. Could I have been more of a dick? Sure. Would it have helped anything? Probably not. And maybe I would've come out to unprovable slashed tires. So it's kind of a risk/reward scenario for me. In stressful environment I've become accustomed to, I try to take easy...:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts