Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After years of riding my V1k (and loving every mile of it), today I picked up my new 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT. I have to tell you it’s an amazing machine in every aspect. On long road rides, the wings have no equal.

So, naturally the question came up about selling my personal V1k. I have to admit I’ve become emotionally attached to it! Sounds weird, I know. But the fact is that it’s a fricking joy to ride. We have used them in my company with nothing but exuberance and smiles for years now. Would I want to cross country on it? Both myself and my ass definitely prefer the wing. But for just getting out on the roads and getting in the face of nature the way biking was meant to be, the V1k can’t be beat. It’s raw dependable riding - and that’s what makes riding special - and that’s something I never want to be far from.

So, will I sell my V1k? I have no idea. But I can tell you that if I do sell the V1k, I know I’ll regret it when I need to get away from life a bit and get some wind in my hair again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
When I had my wing I was always astounded by how much road I would cover nearly every ride. I had a KZ650 at the same time & I'd be in favor of both rides because of the different personalities.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black Dog,

Very much agree. Likely will hold onto my V1k for that very reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did it backwards. I bought a 2018 DCT Tour in ‘18. Then I bought a V1O00LT a couple of months ago. Kinda like having two girlfriends. I’m not gonna mention the DL650 in the garage.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The past two years have been nightmarish at work around here. Too much work and no play. Covid forced all of us to reconsider what’s really important in life. Funny, none of what any of us really wanted in life was found at work anymore. It often happens that way in film and most other industries I suppose. After Covid, I got together and employees told me they wanted to work from home more, have a 4 day work weeks and start playing with their families again. Hell, one guy said he even started liking his wife again! Damn that Covid!

So after giving them what they dreamed about, I have 128 happier employees and an excuse to get back on my bike, crunch some serious miles and maybe even catch up with several of you! We had a riding program that never made It around any of you. Have to try something different next year.

Anyway, I’m not done here yet. Wings aren’t fun in cities. Still room for the Versys in my adventures. I just can’t wait to get back to the little things that make life’s experience interesting and meaningful again. Hope you all do the same. Life is simply too short.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats. I haven't ridden the new ones, but they do seem to be between the previous generation and the sport touring size bikes.
They are. Mine is the dct automatic transmission - still freaky. Still reach for the clutch and shifter. It’s a different experience but the bike isn’t like the older less agile wings; it gets up and goes. Not perfect, but you can tell lots of thought and millions of miles of rider input have come to fruition. It’s sportier and more user friendly. Still only carries 423 pounds, but I’m sure lots of people skirt that number a bit.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW - you did NOT go to the "darkside"!

On a "Wing" you're ONLY over to the 'partly-cloudy' side....

;)
Hi Ed!

in Arizona now or back home? I rode it on a 200 mile trip yesterday. I felt the more relaxed position all through my back! I’m actually used to the more upright V1k With highway pegs. My V1k is damned comfy. I can also tell you there’s a world of difference in Customization options, carrying capacity and price of farkles between the wing and the V1k. I’ve decided that I’m keeping the V1k too. In this case, more is better!

be safe!
Kevin

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
They are. Mine is the dct automatic transmission - still freaky. Still reach for the clutch and shifter. It’s a different experience but the bike isn’t like the older less agile wings; it gets up and goes. Not perfect, but you can tell lots of thought and millions of miles of rider input have come to fruition. It’s sportier and more user friendly. Still only carries 423 pounds, but I’m sure lots of people skirt that number a bit.
Now you can go double dark side and put a car tire on the rear and a rear motorcycle tire on the front. LOL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts