Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a few years fellas since I’ve been on the forum. I sold my 2011 in 2013 and bought an FJR. Sold that a few years later. I’ve missed my Versys and regretted getting rid of it. So, yesterday I bought a really nice 2014 with just over 12K on the ODO. I’m in the process of going over everything, chainring the oil, coolant etc. I am also replacing the sprockets and chain. I found a thread in which several guys went on about just how hard the counter sprocket nut is to get loose so, I bought an electric impact wrench ( 450 lbs torque ) just in case. Let’s hope it goes well lol. Anyway hello to all from London Kentucky. Cya on the forums !

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
:welcome: Back...I sold my 09 V-650 for an FJR in 2014 then in 2016 I traded it in on my 2016 V-1000....

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
:goodluck: - I have an Inger-Sol Rand half-inch air impact-wrench (that removes at 500lb/ft), as well as a Craftsman air impact-wrench in AZ that's similar. I've removed quite a few countershaft-sprocket nuts over the years, BUT when I tried on my Gen 3 V650 ['15] I could NOT, so I rode it to a cycle shop about three miles away and paid them a "box-of-beer" to remove it.

When I re-install I use a torque wrench set to the CORRECT setting!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So tell me, Why did you go back to a Versys? I love my 650 and intend it to last me 8-10 years, but the FJR has been in my sights for a long time (but so has the V1000). I'd love to know your position.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So tell me, Why did you go back to a Versys? I love my 650 and intend it to last me 8-10 years, but the FJR has been in my sights for a long time (but so has the V1000). I'd love to know your position.
My wife and I have stopped touring together. The FJR was my “Dream bike” for many years and I loved every minute of owning it. However, now that I am riding solo again the Versys is just so much more fun. The FJR is great at eating up the miles but not so much fun in the tight twisty roads I love to ride. The Versys is just a better “All around” bike. Capable of long distance touring if called upon and MUCH more fun on a twisty country backroad.

YMMV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts