Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I should be ordering the front and rear springs set soon from http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-springs.htm
Fork Spring-Kit: SP-KA06-SSA018 - $148
Shock-Kit: SP-KA06-SSB018 - $110
Combi-Kit: SP-KA06-SSC018 - $248
I can get the Combi-Kit for $289 including shipping to Canada, or for $275 without the included fork oil, as I plan to use Amsoil's synthetic suspension fluid in the forks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Let us know what you think of the new springs once you get them installed.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Actually... Now that I've finally tried my new Versys, I don't feel the need to replace the springs yet, even on our rough roads and out in the field.
I'm 185 lbs and the forks are at 0 turns out for maximum preload, with 1/2 a turn out on rebound damping. Rear is at #2 from softest preload, at least until spring seats a bit, with rebound damping at 10 clicks out...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually... Now that I've finally tried my new Versys, I don't feel the need to replace the springs yet, even on our rough roads and out in the field.
I'm 185 lbs and the forks are at 0 turns out for maximum preload, with 1/2 a turn out on rebound damping. Rear is at #2 from softest preload, at least until spring seats a bit, with rebound damping at 10 clicks out...
I didn't know the damping rate was adjustable. I'll have to play around with that.
I'm about the same weight, so I'll start with the same settings as you. Let me know if you tweek it some more.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Right on Brock... Front rebound damping setting is done with the screw on the right fork only. 1/2 turn out means 1/2 turn counterclockwise from the maximum clockwise setting where it's at the stiffest setting. Do not tighten screw to prevent damaging the seat. Maximum front fork spring preload (or ride height) is done with both hex adjusters turned in clockwise all the way.
Rear rebound damping setting is now set at 10 clicks away from the 'H' stiffest setting towards 'S'. Rear spring preload is now at #2 from softest (lowest ride height) setting until it seats a bit, and I do have an aftermarket exhaust (Muzzy header and slip-on silencer) that is about 12 lbs lighter than stock...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
So I had to go up to #3 on rear preaload to prevent bottoming out, still at 10 clicks ot on rebound damping. I'm starting to feel the need for a progressive rear spring though. The front could benefit much from progressive springs as well... Maybe for next year, or sooner since the trade market is really paying off these days in the mining sector...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Im going to try adjusting my front suspension this weekend and let you know the conclusion. I want to rectify the major nose diving when applying the front brakes...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Any changes Invader? I am about to pull the trigger on some hyperpro progressive springs front and rear.

We weigh about the same (I'm like 192 lbs with riding gear), is there a number chart to pick the right spring or do they just have one spring?

Strangely compared to your settings, on the front I am backed off of preload to the stops and dampening is 1 turn (counterclockwise) off closed. Rear is very stiff at #2 preload or #3, dampening is 3 clicks off closed. My front is better than the rear, but still a bit stiff.

I'm thinking the progressive springs would give more usable range plus not so stiff hopefully!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the HyperPro progressive springs (And the HP shock.) on my Tiger 1050, and I'm very pleased w/them. However, I agree. I don't really see the need on the V. I have adjusted my suspension to very firm settings, and find it quite acceptable.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Any changes Invader? I am about to pull the trigger on some hyperpro progressive springs front and rear.

We weigh about the same (I'm like 192 lbs with riding gear), is there a number chart to pick the right spring or do they just have one spring?

Strangely compared to your settings, on the front I am backed off of preload to the stops and dampening is 1 turn (counterclockwise) off closed. Rear is very stiff at #2 preload or #3, dampening is 3 clicks off closed. My front is better than the rear, but still a bit stiff.

I'm thinking the progressive springs would give more usable range plus not so stiff hopefully!
No further changes yet... How many turns away from max preload on the front? I'm at just 1/2 turn out on front rebound damping to handle max preload. Try backing off rear rebound damping to 10 clicks out like mine. It rides very well with my settings, and can take a real beating in the rough backroads with impressive composure, stability and comfort. I'd like to get a road side video speeding on big gravel road bumps... I might still get HyperPro progressive springs for next year. They only have one grade of front and rear springs for all models

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay, I ordered the front and back hyperpro springs, will install when they come in and report back. While I have the stockers adjusted about as well as they can get, I still think we can do better without buying a wilbers rear shock.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Have you at least tried to back off rear rebound damping to 10 clicks away from stiffest position yet? 3 clicks off closed is much too restrictive, causing the rear supension to stay hung up in compressed position. About 10 clicks off would probably also work well with the new HyperPro spring...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Think I have been about everywhere, with the dampening backed off, it kicks off bumps harder. Actually where I am now is pretty good, but I think it can get much better.

What I am up against, is the super suspension of the GT, just absorbs all bumps while sticking to corners like glue. I get off that and the V kicks me in the butt on even little bumps and trys to unsettle on hard corners.

I don't expect it to be as good as the Beemer, but just trying to improve with least amount of money.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I do not think the Versys needs any type of suspension work unless you are wanting to soften it up for dirtroads. The Versys is one of the best handling bikes made. My XR650R motard is a lot of fun and I have spent a lot of money on the suspension but the Versys will stick right with it on just about any kind of road. You can grind the footrest off on the black top and the Versys just stays planted. The only time that I low sided was when the Givis touch down and you have to be way over for that to happen. :eek:That is the reason I am on my second Versys. :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mountainrider is right. We have a bike you can ride hard and fast right out of the box. Did I just say ride hard and fast?:p

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got my hyperpro springs in yesterday. Had to make a ring to mount over end of shock spring to allow me to press and remove. No easy feat, I recommend taking it to someone with a real spring compressor unless you have a hydralic press and can fit a proper ring.

Mounted and ran it on preload #2, and searched for all my local bumps that I usually try to avoid. Don't have to go far to find them around here!;) The spring is better than stock but still a little on the stiff side, so I moved it back to preload #1 and will test later. Hyperpro recommends #1 or #2 for preload and 5 - 10mm static sag, and rebound dampening position #2.

Used the HR100 lift to pull shock :thumb:

P.S. Hyperpro includes a spring mounting manual and explains all settings in detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Right on, versys guy! :thumb: That purple doesn't look as bad as I thought. It looks bluer than what they usually had...
The V's great suspensions can only be better with quality Hyper Pro 'Racing Suspension Technology' (Dutch) progressive springs. My OEM rear spring has sagged even more now at 2100 Kms (1300 miles) and I have to go up to #4 preload. Yours should set in as well. Did you use the included Hyper Pro fork oil? What weight number is it?
Hyper Pro USA now shows the Versys application.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have not put the fork springs in yet, going to change one thing at a time so I can get a feel for it. The Hypro oil for the forks is sae 15 wt.

I agree on the sag increaseing over time, my stock spring was getting better or I was getting used to it.

Going for a ride this morning and will test the new rear on preload #1 and rebound on #2.

Okay, after a pretty good shake down run this morning, I now like the rear and can really tell the forks are stiff now in comparison. Have to build 3 special tools to replace oil and springs in forks, probably in a few days. Golf tomorrow so it must wait, ha.

Update: 8/8/08 Front fork springs installed today, will test in the morning. Built the 3 "special" tools and worked great!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Update on the hyperpro springs. I am keeping the forks but went back to stock with the rear spring. After 2 seperate 3 hour rides, the bumps are worse at speed, I believe the stock was better.

On a side note, I visited the nearest Aprilia shop (84 miles to Longview, Tx) and their Shiver rear shock appears to be a perfect fit to the Versys. I measured eye to eye but could not tell if it used the 12mm bolts but pretty sure it does. So, heads up to anyone looking for a change, if you know a Shiver owner that may be going for after market shocks it might be worthwhile to try out the stock Shiver rear shock!

I know AF1 in New Brunfels, Tx is building a track bike from a wrecked shiver and has sent off the stock rear shock to penske to build a replacement!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts