Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks I'll be spending the day battening down the hatches....I'm ready this time with a generator my only concern is trees falling down on something expensive.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll be spending the day battening down the hatches....I'm ready this time with a generator my only concern is trees falling down on something expensive.
Make sure you put your Versys somewhere safe then, hope it all goes okay for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I grew up in Ocean City, NJ. Have almost all of my family and friends there. Not expecting much here in D.C., but definitely worried for them

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
So far a few strong wind gusts toping to 35 Mph here in Raleigh NC, and it has been raining on/off since midnight. The V is outside covered with a tarp with bungie cords since I don't have a garage, and it is on the most calmed side of the house.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 24 hr endless "the sky is falling" so called breaking news spewed out endlessly by talking heads pisses me off. Why are we worried about earthquakes and hurricanes that barely registered as "serious" years ago. JOPLIN's tornados were news, Katrina was news, Japan's earthquake was news, they were disasters. The last three days of minute by minute news casters dire predictions about a fairly common summer event is ridiculous. Predicting and reporting on things that haven't happened yet is pandering and creating fear where none is warranted. I think Stagehand is right!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The 24 hr endless "the sky is falling" so called breaking news spewed out endlessly by talking heads pisses me off. Why are we worried about earthquakes and hurricanes that barely registered as "serious" years ago. JOPLIN's tornados were news, Katrina was news, Japan's earthquake was news, they were disasters. The last three days of minute by minute news casters dire predictions about a fairly common summer event is ridiculous. Predicting and reporting on things that haven't happened yet is pandering and creating fear where none is warranted. I think Stagehand is right!

I'm guessing you don't have any family in it's path?? While I agree the media blows these things up for ratings and what-not, but people have died in this storm already. Some of us are worried because we have loved ones there. That's why I'm watching this one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The house I grew up in sits approximately 1 meter above sea level...4 blocks from the beach. It doesn't take much.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have any family in it's path?? While I agree the media blows these things up for ratings and what-not, but people have died in this storm already. Some of us are worried because we have loved ones there. That's why I'm watching this one.
Wrong...I was born in NYC raised on Long Island's south shore, been through 3 hurricanes while living there. I have Uncles, Aunts and cousins still there. My ex wife and son live in Va. Beach. My complaint is the hysterical 24 hr news over the last 3 days. Period!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wrong...I was born in NYC raised on Long Island's south shore, been through 3 hurricanes while living there. I have Uncles, Aunts and cousins still there. My ex wife and son live in Va. Beach. My
complaint is the hysterical 24 hr news over the last 3 days. Period!
Simple, turn off the TV....

Living in Florida during the 90s and witnessing Hurricane Andrew first hand, these storms should be taken seriously....weather drives ratings...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Make sure you put your Versys somewhere safe then, hope it all goes okay for you.
The V is safely tucked away in the Garage with my car :D

I'm as ready as I can be, worst I expect is a power outage...

I did create some large water bars on my driveway as its a steep hill and I don't want all my gravel running into the road

·
Registered
117 Posts
In Cary, NC - wasn't much of a big deal at all... some whistling winds... some rain... nothing out of the ordinary.... Irene wasn't so kind to the coastline of NC... hope it loses steam on its way to the north! Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simple, turn off the TV....QUOTE]

What and miss Oprah!
Haha, I do understand your point about media as over here we have been hammered by the Christchurch earthquakes but there was a big loss of life and the quake was one of the largest in recorded history for verticle thrust or acceleration and was very shallow and the cost was 15-20 billion but in regard to your situation over there I understand what bear is saying as i would be watching the news if family and friends lived there and yes the media does whip up a frenzy at times but our human nature needs to hear what is going on. :blah::blah::blah:

Would not want you to miss Oprah but she will probably do somthing on cyclone Irene whoops i mean hurricane (we call them cyclones)

·
Registered
642 Posts
NZ and Aust call what you call hurricanes, cyclones, i think pacific islands like Fiji etc also call them cyclones
In the southern hemisphere they spin in the "cyclonic" (clockwise) direction. In the northern hemisphere they spin in the anti-cyclonic direction (counter-clockwise) and are called typhoons and hurricanes (at least in English) depending on where they occur.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts