Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
There's some pretty good information about it here (www.cbc.ca).

My thoughts and prayers for those affected.

Dave C

·
Registered
246 Posts
Absolutely horrible. May the Almighty comfort those who are suffering...

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Its is a tragedy as not only are the dealing with one of the big quakes in recorded history but the huge damage/death caused by the tsunami. From just watching on TV our Prime Minister has said Japan has requested the expertise of 4 countries to help in search/rescue, USA, Aust, Britain and NZ. Our team in NZ is leaving with some of the very good gear the Americans have left for us to help in our own disaster.

These quakes are the risk of living in the pacific ring of fire and my prayers and thoughts go to the people of Japan that they will rescue many survivors.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Radiation from Power Plants...

Quake damage to a few reactors.....YIKES !!! I am going for a nice long ride tomorrow on my born in Japan Versys to a favorite mountain top and say a prayer for those people...The experts keep saying that we here in California are over due for a big quake and I live right on the beachfront so this event has me a little worried...:(

·
Registered
842 Posts
Are we next?

Last year & this year it was Chile = 2 big quakes = South East Pacific
The it was NZ = 2 big quakes = South West Pacific
Now it it Japan 2 big quakes (both today - unrelated) = North West Pacific

So that leaves North East Pacific the only quadrant not to have a killer quake in the last 12 months :sorry:

I think it is only a question of whether it will be CA or BC.

To all on the West Coast - do you have an emergency bag, and have you checked it lately? Time to swap the stale muesli bars for some fresh ones, and to check if the batteries have been 'borrowed' and not replaced. :goodidea:

Our neighbours were in Chile when the first big quake hit. When they wen to use the emergancy flashlights and radios they found all the batteries had been borrowed. Ditto a lot of the other emergency supplies :(

·
Registered
770 Posts
If it had not been for all the preparation they have done for this kind of event things could have been much worse. For example Japan as the toughest building codes in the world wrt earthquake protection. Lets hope things start to improve now that this has passed.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
If it had not been for all the preparation they have done for this kind of event things could have been much worse. For example Japan as the toughest building codes in the world wrt earthquake protection. Lets hope things start to improve now that this has passed.
Your exactly right, a lot of the buildings took the quake unlike a lot of our historical buildings in Christchurch 6.3 that were flattened but to be fair to building codes here that quake was only 5km or 3 miles deep and 10km or 6 miles from the city so it would be like a bomb under your feet.

It is that tsunami that man cannot contend with

·
Registered
3 Posts
From japan

Hello,
I live in kanagawa,Japan(away from disaster area at 300km) .

Last week I went to edge of tsunami area for volunteer work, it was very shocking scene.
This disaster is very sad, and maybe long long time is necessary for recovery from this damage.

But, please, do not believe wrong information.
"Tokyo is turned to ghost town because many people run away"etc, many wrong information written on the web.
Currently we(without disaster area living peoples) doing normally daily life except for little power saving.

A lot of japanese(of course, me too) have expressed gratitude for the support of each country.

If you want to know the local information of japan, then please contact to me.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Hello,
I live in kanagawa,Japan(away from disaster area at 300km) .

Last week I went to edge of tsunami area for volunteer work, it was very shocking scene.
This disaster is very sad, and maybe long long time is necessary for recovery from this damage.

But, please, do not believe wrong information.
"Tokyo is turned to ghost town because many people run away"etc, many wrong information written on the web.
Currently we(without disaster area living peoples) doing normally daily life except for little power saving.

A lot of japanese(of course, me too) have expressed gratitude for the support of each country.

If you want to know the local information of japan, then please contact to me.
Cheers thanks for the update, we had the same problem here with the christchurch quake as if you go by some world media reports it is a ghost town but most commerce etc still alive and kickin just a few set backs.

We had a big team of Japanese search/rescue helping our teams and our teams ended up working with the Japanese teams in Japan as in the current world people come to your aid from all over the world. All the best with the clean up and good on you for helping :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts