Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard there are issues installing a hugger with the Speedy Lowering Kit on the 2010 Versys. I'm riding more dirt/gravel roads and in the rain. Would like to spend less time cleaning up after rides. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at doing the same thing and looking at the situation I think you might be able to cut some of the material out of the hugger around the lowering block and still have enough left to fasten it to the swing arm .Take a die grinder or belt sander and take off a little bit at a time till you get it fitted correctly. But first I would make a templet with a sharpy marker and something bendable that you can trace around the block with like thin rubber,and set the hugger in place on top and make some guidlines on it so you don't cut to much out. just a little at a time till it fits good.Remember measure twice and cut once,That is going to be my next purchase also, and I have the speedy lowering block also .let me know how it works out/ What year is your bike ?

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
I have a Skidmarx hugger and Speedy's lowering kit on a 2007, he has very good instructions, I ended up drilling and tapping as he suggested in his instructions. I have described in previous posts what I did. Looks like I didn't ever post pictures, so if time permits I will post some pictures of my mods.:goodidea:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482&highlight=hugger

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Unfortunately, the rear hugger does only help to keep the dirt away from the mono shocks, buy it will still be pretty messy on the hugger itself. So, if you are looking for less cleaning, it's not going to help.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had already bought an Ermax hugger and had to cut part of it out for the lowering block to fit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had to cut a little square notch in my hugger to accomodate the lowering kit. A five minute job at most. I like the looks of it too. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can also use the WR lowering kit with a hugger (photo attached), as it has a cut-out in the bottom which allows for some huggers (depending on their thickness) to slide underneath (so you will either not have to trim the hugger or trim it less). When using the WR lowering kit with a hugger, I would recommend placing compression washers in between.

As someone mentioned before, you can also secure the hugger to a new hole that you would drill in the boss of the swingarm. The "boss" is a raised, reinforced hole blank that was designed and inserted by Kawasaki for drilling additional holes to secure extra mods (photo attached).

Hope that helps,
Speedy

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone, I would like to avoid any drilling. I thought a hugger would really help with the amount of dirt/salt hitting the license plate fender & underseat which are a pain to clean. If that is limited, I'll probably just deal with it as I am not mechanically inclined!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hugger Installed

I ended up ordering the Powerbronze Hugger and did have to cut out a small portion to fit with the lowering kit. A few pix....

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ended up ordering the Powerbronze Hugger and did have to cut out a small portion to fit with the lowering kit. A few pix....
Like the look of the Powerbronze....and the screens look trick.

Without the lowering kit would it bolt right up? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
and where does one get a Speedy Lowering Kit (google just doesn't help). I live in Canada so a Canadian retailer would be great but I will buy wherever I can get them.

Thanks,
Robb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts