Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I'm a new owner of a Versys, here in Oregon. This web site is GREAT!! I have learned a lot about the bike by reading various articles posted here.

I just ordered a Hugger Rear fender from: http://www.frogspecialties.com/index.php?categoryid=26 , I want to paint it to match the bike (Passion Red) but don't want to spend $100 or more for a professional to paint it (Just Cheap I Guess), so I did a little research and found that Volvo's S40 comes in a PASSION RED, color code 612. So I called the local Volvo dealer and found out that they sell a 12 oz. Spray Paint in PASSION RED. Since I'm still waiting for my Hugger (on BO) I thought I would cruise over on my bike tomorrow and check it out (the brush on touch up paint) and see how close it matches. The paint sells for $19.95, but that's a lot cheaper than $100 up, and as long as it comes close I think that will work.

I will repost in a couple of weeks when I get the Hugger and get it painted.

Here's a picture of the S40 in Passion Red (looks like the same color anyway)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Love the bike so far - just A LITTLE TALL! But I'm used to Taller Dirt Bikes.

Thought I would try something a little different with the paint job. Maybe paint the chain cover either Silver or Black. Below are a few example I came up with. Thank God for Photoshop!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the site!!!

When your over at the volvo dealer, you might want to see if they also offer the clear coat for added protection

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Kawaclay,

I am in the same boat. I ordered a fiberglass hugger from Twinshack in the UK. It arrives tomorrow. I came across the passion red paint for the volvo yetserday. I am going to see if I can get a colour match spray (volvo S40 passion red) at our local automotive store. I was comtemplaating painting the underside with an underbody rubber coating, but not sure yet.

good luck with yours

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hello,
I'm a new owner of a Versys, here in Oregon.
Where you at in Oregon?

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll buy the aerosol cans from Color Rite. That should be enough for the hugger and future mods. Paint, Primer, Base, and gloss Clear coat came to $99.80.

·
Registered
30 Posts
nvoelsch,

I just finished painting my hugger from Twinshack with the Color Rite products and was very impressed with the results. The paint products applied well to the hugger and the colour match was excellent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ordered one from Frog Specialties also. Did they say how long your was backordered?

I decided to drop the $100 on the Color Rite paint. I don't know how it works yet, because I'm still waiting on the hugger :D

-Alan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where you at in Oregon?

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll buy the aerosol cans from Color Rite. That should be enough for the hugger and future mods. Paint, Primer, Base, and gloss Clear coat came to $99.80.
Hillsboro Area , Hopefully be nice today so I can finally go riding!!!! It's been below average temperatures with Rain & Showers for the last week or so:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered one from Frog Specialties also. Did they say how long your was backordered?

I decided to drop the $100 on the Color Rite paint. I don't know how it works yet, because I'm still waiting on the hugger :D

-Alan
They told me that it would take about 3-4 weeks :thumbdown:
I'm also thinking about the piece they have for the tail - would love to get rid of that UGLY rear fender section!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hillsboro Area , Hopefully be nice today so I can finally go riding!!!! It's been below average temperatures with Rain & Showers for the last week or so:(
Just got back from a weekend in Coos Bay, excellent weather on the coast, not so good in the valley. A little mist here and there hasn't seemed to bother me so far! I do kick myself for not wearing my jacket's inner liner when the temp is below 55 and I'm at highway speeds...

·
Registered
387 Posts
nvoelsch,

I just finished painting my hugger from Twinshack with the Color Rite products and was very impressed with the results. The paint products applied well to the hugger and the colour match was excellent.
Awesome, glad to hear a good report. Will check that Twinshack one out; got a response from Frog Specialties that they're on a 4-week backorder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.