Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm Ben Russo. I live in Northern Virginia, just a dozen miles, or so, West of Washington DC.

When I was just 12, I had a friend down the street with a CR80R. Had a blast riding his bike now and then. *MY* first bike, was a Honda FT500, back in '88, and after that a Kawasaki Eliminator ZL750 (AWESOME BIKE!). Then I could afford a car, but not both bikes and car. So I had a 10 year break from motorbikes. Got a Kawasaki Concourse 1000 back in 2002. Traded that in for a GoldWing GL1800, which I really loved but it killed my hips, knees and back... Got a 2006 BMW R1200RT which I still have, I've put about 40K miles on that and LOVE IT. But it is too big and heavy to commute to work on for my short commute of 5 miles each way. So, just last week, I bought a red 2008 Kawasaki Versys with 5,700 miles. It is almost 300 lbs' lighter than my R1200 with all the luggage on it.

It came with the stock seat, and a gel seat. An MRA "standard" height tinted windshield. What I think are MotoWerk lowering blocks for the rear. A clamp on kickstand foot (because the kickstand needed to be shortened?) Frame Sliders are on it..(like those). What I think (sorry, it's new) is a SW-Moto rear luggage rack. And a Genuine Kawasaki Givi Box (small, just big enough for a full face hlemet). It also has a rear service stand and "spools" on the rear swing arm.

So far, (just 6 days in), I have added a BackOff XP brake light flasher A Pyramid Fenda Extenda. And I did new Oil and filter just today. Thanks to the forum I got Purolator Pure-One oil filters. ( I use those compatible car filters on my other bikes with screw on filters too, they are nice ).

I rotated the bars forward (and thereby up) and adjusted all the levers and controls to fit. I'm 6'1.5" and 240....

I really like the bike, but have a few questions that I will save for the right forum sections, once I am unlocked from NEWBY status and stuck here.

Anyways, nice to meet ya'll.

-Ben.

·
Registered
99 Posts
:welcome:Welcome! Good call with the back off flasher, I just installed one last week and I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I like the stock LED brake lights, I have put KISAN incandescent bulbs with built in flashers in the base on my other bikes. Really does work, I watch for cellphone drivers around me, and have seen them in the rear view mirror, they WAKE UP, when the flashing starts. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weljo2001's Farkle List.

OK Weljo...
I glanced over your farkle list.

My bike came with a Kawi low/gel seat, and a stock seat.
I am 6'1.5" tall and weigh 240.
The low gel seat is like sitting on a bicycle saddle, it hurts.
The stock seat has several issues for me too:
  1. It tends to position me too close to the tank.
  2. The foam is soft, so after about 20 minutes there are pressure points transmitted from the seat pan to my bones.
  3. It tilts forward, so when braking I get my pants pulled back like someone is giving me a wedgie, and it pulls my pant legs up my legs.
  4. If I do scoot my but back, there is a hard ledge in the back of the rider position.
I had a Corbin on my old Kawasaki Concourse. WAY too hard, (it was like sitting on a pine board), and WAY too slippery.
I have a Sargent seat on my BMW R1200RT right now and I *LOVE* it.
However I have read that the Sargent seat for the Versys is actually 0.5 inches lower than stock, and that it moves the rider about 0.5 inches closer to the tank. Both things I am trying to go the OTHER way with.

So... I am thinking of getting the Seat Concepts seat. What do you think of that? Might it work for me to solve my issue of sliding forward, getting wedgies, be more firm, a little wider, and allow me to sit a little further back from the controls? Taller is not a problem. Heck, I might like it if it were 2" taller than stock. My bike has a lowering kit on the rear.

-Ben.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
...The stock seat has several issues for me too:
  1. It tends to position me too close to the tank.
  2. The foam is soft, so after about 20 minutes there are pressure points transmitted from the seat pan to my bones.
  3. It tilts forward, so when braking I get my pants pulled back like someone is giving me a wedgie, and it pulls my pant legs up my legs.
  4. If I do scoot my but back, there is a hard ledge in the back of the rider position....

1. Ben - try raising the front of your seat (costs a couple of $).

:welcome:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a slightly used SeatConcepts seat this week at a good price.
I am 6'1.5" tall, and weigh 240lbs.
The SeatConcepts seat is PERFECT for me.
It is about 1.5" taller, and the seat is about 1.5" farther back from the tank.
The nose/ridge of the seat is a little bit taller than the ass area, so no more wedgies.
The foam is dense and firm, so the side seat wings under the ass actually work.
Good stuff. I am lovin' the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts