Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Daniel here, thanks to lurky on this site and reading your opinions I decided to buy a 2012 black Versys. Came complete with a set of Givi lugguge. Sure seems like a great bike so far. This is a replacement for my old ST1300 that was ran over by an 18 wheeler on my trip to Alaska last July. I know it is a smaller displacement but I don't plan on riding it to Alaska. Weekend local trips around Texas. Now to get farkling.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...I know it is a smaller displacement but I don't plan on riding it to Alaska....
Get on it and ride to Alaska! The V is GREAT for that.

Here's mine in Chicken in June '13....

And...:welcome:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
:welcome: from San Antonio

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome. So far love the new bike. very easy to ride. And fun. No Alaska trip in the near future but am thinking of the grand canyon. Big Bend for sure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome Atrisk5: Ah Big Bend! Terlingua, TX, just west of the national park, offers Twilight Theater, which is not a theater but a great restaurant in the midst of a ghost town. I respectfully recommend the chicken-fried antelope. It was a memorable highlight of my "nationwide, chicken-fried, suicide thrill ride" in 2010: included chicken-fried longhorn liver at Fort Davis, chicken-fried pork chops in Aubrey, chicken-fried steak ... and anything else that could be chicken-fried. Avoided the chicken-fried chicken, staying true to the axiom: "No harm, no fowl."

Good group here; very helpful and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My heart would not let me eat that much chicken fried anything. But Terlingua sure is a awesome place I agree.

Fast Eddie, it is cheating to ride to Chicken Alaska when you start the trip from BC. I did not get a chance to visit Chicken but had planned on it before the crash.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hello all,
Daniel here, thanks to lurky on this site and reading your opinions I decided to buy a 2012 black Versys. Came complete with a set of Givi lugguge. Sure seems like a great bike so far. This is a replacement for my old ST1300 that was ran over by an 18 wheeler on my trip to Alaska last July. I know it is a smaller displacement but I don't plan on riding it to Alaska. Weekend local trips around Texas. Now to get farkling.
I remember seeing the write-up on ADVrider about your "incident" with the semi trailer.......You my friend were very fortunate. IF I'm remembering the right one. Well WELCOME to the Versys family:clap:
You know you COULD ride the 650 up here to AK without any problems...Just saying. What farkles are you thinking about? There are a TON of them to choose from.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
welcome :)

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...Fast Eddie, it is cheating to ride to Chicken Alaska when you start the trip from BC. I did not get a chance to visit Chicken but had planned on it before the crash.
You're PROBABLY right, so I did it FOUR times (three from Alberta), once on a Bandit 1200S, twice on a KLR650 as well as on the GREEN HORNET. Does THAT make it NOT cheating...?

:cool:

The FIRST trip (2004) was 19 days, the second (2006) 21 - (or 12 - I forget...), the third (2009) 31 , and last year was around 16 days, EVERY night of EACH trip in a tent.

:stickpoke:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Fast Eddie. My hat is off to you. That is a lot of trips.

Yes Jeff that was me. I have one awesome guarding angel. If I head back up it will be on the Versys. I am really enjoying this bike. So far I installed peg lowering blocks, it came with a givi wind screen and 3 piece monokey luggage system. Really does not need much more then that for now. I did order a 16t so hiway ride will be a little less buzzy. It is a very comfy bike.

My intentions were to ride to the Artic Circle. That was my 2nd failed attempt. I am a loser. 3rd time is the charm, right?

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...My intentions were to ride to the Artic Circle. That was my 2nd failed attempt. I am a loser. 3rd time is the charm, right?
Here's my '09 "crossing". NO biggee, and could just as easily done it on the V. (Me on the left....)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Howdy Daniel,

Glad to know there's another V on the streets of Houston. Im in The Heights, so hopefully we'll cross paths at some point. Enjoy your new ride!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts