Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I've ridden a 1977 Yamaha XS650 for many years, and sadly, it's time to retire the old girl. Or at least give her an extended vacation until I can find the time to rebuild the tired and worn engine.

I did what I usually do... found a cheap crap bike to ride, thinking I could get a couple years out of it while rebuilding the XS. Nope. Failed the safety exam, and will probably cost more to certify than I paid for it to begin with.

My wife -- bless her for putting up with me -- suggested that maybe it's time to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a bike, and get myself something decent. Welp, I listened to her this time, and started to obsessively search listings and reviews.

Monday next I'll be travelling a couple hours distance to get a 2010 Versys. At 52, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I think I may have some trouble adjusting to technology 40+ years beyond what I'm used to. My old XS might be 1977, but the technology is 60's, if not earlier. This here fuel injection thingy will be new. Heck, electronic ignition will be new. I'm used to points and carbs.

And spark plugs I can change in under a minute. Phew! I watched a YouTube video on changing plugs on the Versys last night. Holy schnikees! The plugs are buried deep! Looks like a half-day commitment. I guess they don't need to be changed frequently?

But the size of the tank the guy pulled off, excavating his way down to the plugs... How far can one go on a tank? I'm thinking maybe double what I'm used to. That'll be nice.

Anyhoo, I anticipate that this bike will be pretty close to my ultimate dream bike. I haven't even ridden it yet, and I figure I'm gonna be all smiles and woo-hoos riding the thing home to Sarnia. (Deep south-western Ontario, if you've never heard of it.) I just hope I don't kill myself in the first five minutes, with the considerable jump in horsepower I'm about to experience.

I ride to work; but with the improved comfort, carrying capacity, and probably plain old joy in riding, I might just be taking the thing on some tours. Haven't done that since I was young and stupid. Now I'm old(er) and stupid; and I think I'm about to have a good time!

CanuckChris
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, eh?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hey Chris. Born and raised in Sarnia, me. Just down the road and North of London now. Welcome! And for the tank, on the 21 L Gen 3 tank I can go 450kms easy, push to 500 if I ride conservatively. I think the 2010 (Gen 2) is 19L? So, pretty close to that. 400+ every time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chris. Born and raised in Sarnia, me. Just down the road and North of London now. Welcome! And for the tank, on the 21 L Gen 3 tank I can go 450kms easy, push to 500 if I ride conservatively. I think the 2010 (Gen 2) is 19L? So, pretty close to that. 400+ every time.
Sweet! (I refer both to your place of origin, and the 400kms.)

Your avatar and signature line quote are very, very cool. Apparently I've arrived in a good place, with good people :)

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Welcome from Kitchener

Reactions: CanuckChris

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the 2010 (Gen 2) is 19L? So, pretty close to that. 400+ every time.
Correct, 19L tank. But, once twisting the throttle becomes a habit, 300km is about it. Sure, if one babies it and never exceeds the speed limit, then 350 to 375 is possible. Is that why one rides? I like the rush when the front wheel is light coming out of a corner!

That said, in cold temps (below 20C) my 2011’s fuel economy drops. I often only get 250 km from a tank in the spring and fall. Sometimes worse if the temps are consistently around freezing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you from Sarnia. (Point Edward, to be precise; but nobody knows that when I say it.)
Some of us know! My father in law’s condo overlooks the marina and bridge. Haven’t been down since the new year, but anticipate that changing as restrictions are removed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Apparently, I've arrived in a good place, with good people :)
No, I'm an asshat! Welcome from East Elgin just north of Lake Erie. We've got a few nice twisty roads in my area- you should ride them, flatlander. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct, 19L tank. But, once twisting the throttle becomes a habit, 300km is about it. Sure, if one babies it and never exceeds the speed limit, then 350 to 375 is possible. Is that why one rides? I like the rush when the front wheel is light coming out of a corner!

That said, in cold temps (below 20C) my 2011’s fuel economy drops. I often only get 250 km from a tank in the spring and fall. Sometimes worse if the temps are consistently around freezing.
This is good information. Both the mileage and the fact that someone else is out riding when temps are at freezing levels. I'm looking forward to finding out how the heated grips improve my cold weather experience. Last few years, I've been using battery-powered gloves. They're pretty good; but the batteries die far too soon.

This is also the first bike I've owned with what might be called a fairing... however minimal. I'm used to no windshield and no fairing of any kind. Does the Versys block the wind much? I'm primarily wondering about near-freezing wind ;-)

250kms per tank is still 100kms more than I'm used to. Gonna enjoy fewer gas-ups. Especially because I'm a clutz, and spill gas on the tank far more times than I'd like to admit (although I guess I just did...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of us know! My father in law’s condo overlooks the marina and bridge. Haven’t been down since the new year, but anticipate that changing as restrictions are removed.
Well let me know if you're ever in town! I'll swing by and show you my new bike. (Man, I don't even have it yet, and I'm already making plans.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I'm an asshat! Welcome from East Elgin just north of Lake Erie. We've got a few nice twisty roads in my area- you should ride them, flatlander. ;)
You're not wrong, Mr. Asshat! Roads around here are flat and straight and pretty dull. I'm buying the Versys from a young farmer in the country south of Aylmer. "North of Lake Erie" covers a lot of distance, but he might be your neighbour ;-)

When I went to look at it, I did notice the roads got better and better, the further I got from home. I lived for a couple of years in the Niagara peninsula, and there were some fantastic roads for riding there. The Versys seems built for touring, so I'm fairly confident I'll ride your twisty roads. And probably the ones around Niagara, too. And the Bruce... and Manitoulin... and yeah, Ontario.

My grandmother was Ontario's version of a hillbilly. Grew up in a shack up north, and could still take me out at the knees in her last days. I consider asshats to be good people :)

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
You're not wrong, Mr. Asshat! Roads around here are flat and straight and pretty dull. I'm buying the Versys from a young farmer in the country south of Aylmer. "North of Lake Erie" covers a lot of distance, but he might be your neighbour ;-)

When I went to look at it, I did notice the roads got better and better, the further I got from home. I lived for a couple of years in the Niagara peninsula, and there were some fantastic roads for riding there. The Versys seems built for touring, so I'm fairly confident I'll ride your twisty roads. And probably the ones around Niagara, too. And the Bruce... and Manitoulin... and yeah, Ontario.

My grandmother was Ontario's version of a hillbilly. Grew up in a shack up north, and could still take me out at the knees in her last days. I consider asshats to be good people :)
Well I now ride down to 0'C , I wish I had known about Oxford heated grips before on my 07.One thing, I won't start out if the temperature has been below 0'C, got caught 3 years ago, black ice on a 300M stretch, shaded by a bush, at the time the sir temperature was at 6'C. This year I have something like 2500 KM on the new chain and sprockets. At least 3 rides had my heated jacket and grips on for the first 200 KM.

Reactions: CanuckChris

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm buying the Versys from a young farmer in the country south of Aylmer. "North of Lake Erie" covers a lot of distance, but he might be your neighbour ;-)

Yes, that's very close to me, I live on a farm just south of town. PM me if you want to ride around here sometime, I'll show you the usual roads ridden around here and some hidden gems too.

My grampa was also 'country,' a farmer and born in the north of the province. He told me stories about living in a sod-roofed hut on the bald ass prairies before moving to a farm in southern Ontario. A tough old bird too- he climbed a forest ranger tower at 85 years old so he could take a photo. He approved of me riding motorcycles too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I now ride down to 0'C , I wish I had known about Oxford heated grips before on my 07.One thing, I won't start out if the temperature has been below 0'C, got caught 3 years ago, black ice on a 300M stretch, shaded by a bush, at the time the sir temperature was at 6'C. This year I have something like 2500 KM on the new chain and sprockets. At least 3 rides had my heated jacket and grips on for the first 200 KM.

Wiz, what year is that green bike? So far, this is my biggest regret with the Versys; I didn't get the green year. Petty, I suppose; but my fav colour is green, and I restored my old bike in green and named it "The Griennehornette."

Yeah, riding on ice - black or regular whitish - kinda sucks. I got caught on a stretch between my home and a light two blocks down. Longest 2 blocks I've ever ridden. Here in Sarnia, there are guys who go out and ride on Lake Huron, when it freezes. But they've got the spiked tires on light enduro type bikes. It does look like a blast. Regular road tires on a heavy bike on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts